BuyBust (2018) - Ann Curtis, Brandon Vera

DiP

Shooting started yesterday. The movie --- labeled as a welcoming return to Filipino action cinema --- will be helmed by Erik Matti (On the Job, Seklusyon) and star MMA fighter Brandon Vera, and local starlet Ann Curtis. Action scenes will be handled by Sonny Sison, who recently worked on Nilalang and Iron Fist.

17457928_10154495877146446_6285007610702

https://www.facebook.com/erikmatti?fref=ts

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through interviewing the action director for 'Buy Bust', Sonny Sison, over a few mango shakes in Manila.  Check it out here - 

http://cityonfire.com/following-the-broken-path-an-interview-with-sonny-sison/

Wow, I’ve never heard someone attack the “Raid” films like that.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

He's right though. Many fight scenes in those movies are repetitive, which is one reason why I think they are overrated.

Back to the interview, great stuff! Really looking forward to this movie and other upcoming Filipino action movies involving those particular names.

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yeah, he really did seem to harp on that the same way I do Jimmy Wang Yu movies. (Those deserve it though).:tongueout

It's a teaser though so there's more previews to come. Besides, it's coming out in February so we should expect them very soon.

But as a fan of On the Job and its' director, it delivers on every level. Great direction, exceptional cinematography, catchy music etc.

ShaOW!linDude
17 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

very strong The Raid vibe, only without any martial arts, at least in this teaser-trailer...

Yep, but they could be trying to prevent any direct comparison by doing that. Or it could just be a bad trailer. Looking at @DiP's link to the production video 5 comments up, there looks to be a good bit of MA and knife fighting in the film.

On 12/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, Drunken Monk said:

It delivered but, sadly, it delivers no martial arts.

18 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

very strong The Raid vibe, only without any martial arts, at least in this teaser-trailer...

Anne studied Pekiti-Tirisia Kali for the role and which is according to the director & AD, they want to display Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) in the movie. There have been videos of her going thru the training sequences.

Pekiti-Tirsia Kali is a strictly combat-oriented system and I am/will be excited to see Anne throw down. 

One Armed Boxer
On 12/27/2017 at 11:59 AM, Drunken Monk said:

It delivered but, sadly, it delivers no martial arts.

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Yep, but they could be trying to prevent any direct comparison by doing that. Or it could just be a bad trailer.

I like the fact that Matti's confident enough to put together a trailer featuring none of the MA which is for sure in there (I spoke at length about it with action director Sonny Sison when I interviewed him last year).  A trailer is supposed to build your anticipation for the movie, not act as a martial arts money shot highlight reel as so many recent trailers do, and to that end, my anticipation is suitably built.

17 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I like the fact that Matti's confident enough to put together a trailer featuring none of the MA which is for sure in there (I spoke at length about it with action director Sonny Sison when I interviewed him last year).  A trailer is supposed to build your anticipation for the movie, not act as a martial arts money shot highlight reel as so many recent trailers do, and to that end, my anticipation is suitably built.

You're a hundred percent right. I constantly complain when trailers spoil "money shots" and, apparently, I complain when they don't. I'm a fickle bastard.

On 2017-12-28 at 6:54 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

This ^^^

After seeing Matti's excellent On The Job I already know what to expect in terms of his style of film-making, hence why I said the trailer delivers.

ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

A trailer is supposed to build your anticipation for the movie, not act as a martial arts money shot highlight reel as so many recent trailers do, and to that end, my anticipation is suitably built.

You're a hundred percent right. I constantly complain when trailers spoil "money shots" and, apparently, I complain when they don't.

I agree to an extent. If your film contains some heavy MA moments, by all means I think that should be showcased in the trailer. Otherwise, I'm prone to dismiss it. Conversely, I'm irked by trailers that showcase MA and it's the smidgen of it that the film contains. But by no means should any "money shots" be shown, unless there's enough of them that one couldn't be tossed in.

I'm a fickle bastard.

Pass me a paddle. I'm in the same boat. :tongueout

Promo footage of a fight scene featuring Anne Curtis. It may not be stylized and the editing was meh in some places but the violence is on point! It gives out a different vibe of realism and believability to the fight choreography.

Drunken Monk

Wow, I didn't think much of that fight at all. It had some nice violence (always a welcome element of a fight) but it was choppy as fuck. Sloppy editing indeed. And I know they're going for realism but...well...I like stylized action.
If this is your cup of tea then good for you. I hope you enjoy the final product. But if this is what the rest of the fight scenes are like, I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy this one. As a martial arts film anyway.

One Armed Boxer
14 hours ago, DiP said:

Promo footage of a fight scene featuring Anne Curtis. It may not be stylized and the editing was meh in some places but the violence is on point! It gives out a different vibe of realism and believability to the fight choreography.

It's worth noting that this was actually shot as a proof of concept (although it hasn't been clearly stated if it's in the final product). Sonny Sison posted it on his FB page with the following comments -

BUYBUST - PROOF OF CONCEPT SHORT.

This was filmed just before I joined the project... A "proof of concept"... What can be done and how it could look. When Erik Matti showed me this, I felt it was the best action trailer in Filipino Cinema I had ever seen. And it gave me the drive to be as creative as I could be within the context of the story and to keep that bar high for the quality of action we ended up filming.  Action/Choreography credits for this short:  Tuhon Mick Ptk Katipunan, Tuhon Jake Cuna, Jay Bataclan, and the late, great Baldo Marro.

"We made this short right before we started our full production of BuyBust. This is nowhere near what we have done for the movie in terms of the difficulty and scale of what our actors have to go through. 

We could not have done this movie if Anne was not our actor on this. Anne Curtis had the patience, the will, the stamina and above all the right attitude to do all the physical and emotional demands of this film. If it was any other actor in this industry, they would have either given up midway into filming or have started bitching around 3months into the rehearsals. 

This short is a testament to the kind of committment I got from Anne and the rest of the cast and crew. We’re excited to show you what we’ve got in the entire film!" - Erik Matti

I never knew that footage was shot before actual shooting began. It's like that promo footage (Twitch posted it few years ago which is no longer available) for On the Job with the lead actor (Joel Torre) and another actor who didn't make it in the final casting. That means Sonny Sison may have done major improvements! Looking forward to see more now.

I hope I'm wrong, but so far, this project looks more and more as a pretentious POS.

The creators try to hype it up like it's a next Godfather and Shawshank rolled into one. That super-duper cool narrative that is mostly senseless and pointless, all those attempts to make it look "realistic", all those hints at some supposedly incredible action, ( but we won't show it to you, just believe us, we got it)

You're not working with an Oscar material here, guys. You're shooting a cheap action flick for Pete's sake! So show us some MA action or any decent action at all. Until then, all you got  - some poorly lit scenes that nobody gives two $h!ts about

• Administrator
1 hour ago, D1 Ma said:

I hope I'm wrong, but so far, this project looks more and more as a pretentious POS.

The creators try to hype it up like it's a next Godfather and Shawshank rolled into one. That super-duper cool narrative that is mostly senseless and pointless, all those attempts to make it look "realistic", all those hints at some supposedly incredible action, ( but we won't show it to you, just believe us, we got it)

You're not working with an Oscar material here, guys. You're shooting a cheap action flick for Pete's sake! So show us some MA action or any decent action at all. Until then, all you got  - some poorly lit scenes that nobody gives two $h!ts about

I understand your frustration. I really do. But I can't fault these guys for trying to rise above being just a "cheap action flick". If no one ever aspires to stand out from the crowd, then no new, talented voices will ever be heard. And cheap, and being an entry in a genre that isn't typically known for great product doesn't mean it can't be something special. A lot of the time when creative people have less money it also means they have less creativity-stifling money men to bend to, and often do their best work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best on this one.

Archived