Shaolin Wooden Men (1976) New Restoration

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

It appears the Lo Wei directed Jackie Chan movie Shaolin Wooden Men a.k.a Shaolin Chamber Of Death, will be given another restoration job. The last time the movie was given any special treatment like this, was for the old Hong Kong Legends release. I'm not sure which label will be releasing this title, but I'm assuming its going to be for some kind of HD Bu-Ray release?. This news comes via Ricky Baker Twitter page.

Link- https://twitter.com/easternheroes1?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Chan as Little Mute, performs the final challenge in the deadly chamber of death. Burning the dragon and the tiger into his forearms.

AAAAAAAF.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there were some rumors that Fortune Star was getting Jackie's films from his Lo Wei days remastered with the same treatment as their recent Bruce Lee 4k restorations at L'Immagine Ritrovata. I'm a big Jackie Chan fan and I've seen most of his films but I have to say a lot of his Lo Wei films although are important to his career which led him to make SITES and Drunken Master, aren't so great minus a few decent ones like Dragon Fist or Fearless Hyena. But it's somewhat strange that they would start with Shaolin Wooden Men. Anyway, I'd rather see 4k remasters of Once Upon a Time 1 and 2 but maybe Fortune Star sees more profit potential with Jackie's early films.

I've heard that Dragon Fist is getting the same 4K treatment which is pretty great. But still, I don't think Dragon Fist or Shaolin Wooden Men are the most important Jackie Chan movies to receive 4K remasters. Police Story needs this kind of treatment, especially since the current English-friendly blu-rays look pretty hell-ish (minus HK Rescue, of course). Same for Project A.

Still great news, but I'm hoping for more classics to get this treatment soon.

2 hours ago, thehangman said:

Love to see some of Sammos films get the 4k treatment

You and me both. Probably won't happen, at least not for some time. Even if some of Sammo's films are still of great historical importance.

DragonClaws

While this might be an odd choice of Jackie Chan movie to restore first. If it sells well, it could lead to other films in his filmography getting the same treatment.

Always had a soft spot for his Lo Wei directed/produced movies, there some of the first independent Kung Fu movies I watched/purchased.

51Vi+R4xOsL._SX355_.jpg

DragonClaws
On 22/03/2017 at 3:49 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I love this movie!!! I'd be so down for a restoration of this!:evilgrin

One of my favorite old school movie characters appears in this one, Miu Tak San as the Drunken Monk. There's also an early role from Yuen Biao, playing a thug in an early scene set in a Tea House.

Looking forward to the enhanced print, as I missed the HKL restored DVD edtion.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:15 AM, DragonClaws said:

While this might be an odd choice of Jackie Chan movie to restore first. If it sells well, it could lead to other films in his filmography getting the same treatment.

Always had a soft spot for his Lo Wei directed/produced movies, there some of the first independent Kung Fu movies I watched/purchased.

Good point! I'll probably buy a blu-ray of Shaolin Wooden Men with the hopes of more Jackie Chan movies getting a 4k remaster. I wouldn't mind owning it and watching it anyway, even if it isn't one of my all-time favorites.

I also have a soft spot for the Lo Wei/Jackie Chan movies. I've seen all of them (except for New Fist of Fury) and I've enjoyed most of them.

DragonClaws
On 23/03/2017 at 10:46 PM, KenHashibe said:

I also have a soft spot for the Lo Wei/Jackie Chan movies. I've seen all of them (except for New Fist of Fury) and I've enjoyed most of them.

New Fist Of Fury introduced me to the talents of Chan Sing, but it's not one of the better Lo Wei produced Jackie Chan movies.

That said, you might find you enjoy it more than I did.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:56 PM, DragonClaws said:

New Fist Of Fury introduced me to the talents of Chan Sing, but it's not one of the better Lo Wei produced Jackie Chan movies.

That said, you might find you enjoy it more than I did.

Yes I remember seeing New Fist of Fury at 'Late Night' cinema (Peckham, South East London) and this was the main feature, boy was we all disappointed.....

Shaolin Wooden Men was the very first Jackie Chan movie I ever saw, on the big screen or anywhere.  It was so entertaining, it will always be one of my faves, so I'd love to see it restored.  The second Jackie Chan movie I saw, a few weeks later at the same theater, was New Fist of Fury.  What a disappointment.  I only have it on DVD because someone gave it as a present.  

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

For what its worth, Shaolin Wooden Men is a fine watch. While it lacks the comedic undertones that Jackie Chan would be renown for in his flicks after 1978, Lo Wei helps make up for that by injecting a significant  dose of masculinity in Chan's "Little Mute" character. Indeed, had they not employed the silent protagonist trope and let Chan's character speak on the get go, the movie would've been far more exciting both in terms of plot and actioning.

It's a shame Lo Wei was so creatively bankrupt by 1976. I could totally see him and Jackie Chan doing a Grindhouse flick in none other than Thailand, because hey, Wei was still trying to sell Chan as the next Bruce Lee at the time.

Killer Meteor

Shaolin Wooden Men is one of my faves. Thanks to the awful VHS, I didn't see the awesome first 10min for years!

I'd definitely pick up a new restored version of this to upgrade the current HKL dvd that i've got. Dragon Fist & Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin are 2 others from the Lo Wei period that I especially enjoy. Incidentally i'm sure I read somewhere that Jackie's character was made a mute as there were concerns about his acting ability at the time so this allowed him to just concentrate on the action.

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

Incidentally i'm sure I read somewhere that Jackie's character was made a mute as there were concerns about his acting ability at the time so this allowed him to just concentrate on the action.

I've read the same things regarding the reasons for Chan's character being mute, for most of the movie.

DragonClaws

Old English trialer for Shaolin Wooden Men(1976), posted the U.S Video trailer in the Jackie Chan U.S Moives Trialers/T.V appearances thread.

Link

I think this is one of those JC movies that I have yet to see though have heard a lot about it over the years; or, perhaps, I`ve seen it once and forgotten about it. I am sure that I will pick it up once a true 4k mastered blu-ray is released. Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin and Dragon Fist would be a decent release too, as long as Dragon Fist is the complete uncut version. 

DragonClaws

Languages are not one of my strong points, but I think Jackie Chan is standing next to Thai poster for Shaolin Wooden Men?.

023_130603a_006.jpg

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Languages are not one of my strong points, but I think Jackie Chan is standing next to Thai poster for Shaolin Wooden Men?.

023_130603a_006.jpg

nice find mate :D can't tell exactly what language it is but maybe arabic or urdu?

here is a lebanese poster i found thru google images.

images.jpg

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

023_130603a_006.jpg

This picture was taken during "The Academy Salute to Jackie Chan" back in 2013. After the screening of Police Story 3, they had a kung fu movie poster exhibition downstairs. And I distinctly remembering seeing this poster and thought it was so cool. What a night!

I believe this picture was taken either before the patrons came in or after they left.

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, lungfei said:

nice find mate :D can't tell exactly what language it is but maybe arabic or urdu?

12 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

This picture was taken during "The Academy Salute to Jackie Chan" back in 2013. After the screening of Police Story 3, they had a kung fu movie poster exhibition downstairs. And I distinctly remembering seeing this poster and thought it was so cool. What a night!

Thanks for the feedback guys:smile

I wonder if they'll use any existing artwork for the up-coming BR release of Shaolin Wooden Men?.

Anyone here have some news regarding the Shaolin Wooden Men restoration?, there's been no up-date, or listing of the company involved with releasing it.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

51euMkoC78L._SY300_.jpg

Image result for jackie chan's beginnings

I saw both of these last week. Fantastic prints of both movies. Ihad seen them in the 90's on poor quality VHS. It was as if I saw both movies for the first time.

Killer Meteors all in all was a perfect 10 +.

Shaolin Woden Men had a few over cranking but otherwise fantastic.

They also have:

51euMkoC78L._SY300_.jpg

Image result for jackie chan's beginnings

51euMkoC78L._SY300_.jpg

011301654168.jpg

AND:

s-l225.jpg

GD Y-Y

011301654168.jpg

Archived