Ip Man 4: Donnie Yen, Scott Adkins, Grace Englert, Mark Strange, Chan Kwok-Kwan, Jim Liu (2019)

DragonClaws

51 minutes ago, DiP said:

Are we sure this isn’t a translation issue and he was just announcing his last ever Ip Man film? It seems weird for him to announce this when he already has Enter the Fat Dragon in the can and his Benny Chan film on the way, which he has said will revolutionize martial arts cinema.

• Like 3

This is the same case of Jet Li when he announced his retirement from kung fu movies after Fearless. In that there won't be more movies about real-life kung fu masters. Like making Wong Fei-Hung, Fok Yun-Gap, Fong Sai-Yuk etc movies. I think Donnie is finding himself in the same scenario at the moment having made so many kung fu movies that he's grown tired and would love trying out other type of movies. Enter the Fat Dragon and Raging Fire are both contemporary action movies so they aren't categorized the same.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Was able to bring out another UK martial arts hero Mark Strange (Underground/12, Red Con 1) to play a Bob Wall styled bad guy who faces off with Danny Chan's incarnation of the Little Dragon 

One of my favourite memories from this scene is Mark apologizing to Yuen Woo-ping after hurting Danny Chan's foot with his head when an errant kick connected hard

Yuen Woo-ping laughing: You are the one who is bleeding! Why are you apologizing?

Always good to have some rise to the challenge and its a cool fight with fists, kicks and nunchucks!

76969078_2487163628205408_564964396162351104_n.jpg

• Like 8

I'd just love to know if this is getting a wider UK release than a single solitary now sold out screening just before Christmas!

EDIT: Cineworld are showing it! No times as yet but according to a tweet they're showing it from the 27th December. No idea how many cinemas or how widely spread across the UK but it's something! Hell I'll travel to Glasgow if I have to! 

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 3

sifu iron perm
14 hours ago, SamSeed said:

I'd just love to know if this is getting a wider UK release than a single solitary now sold out screening just before Christmas!

EDIT: Cineworld are showing it! No times as yet but according to a tweet they're showing it from the 27th December. No idea how many cinemas or how widely spread across the UK but it's something! Hell I'll travel to Glasgow if I have to! 

27th is perfect!!!!

• Like 2

Foreign Villains Shape the World: Transnational and Global Antagonists within the Martial Arts Film Trilogy Ip Man

Source- https://repository.usfca.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1814&context=capstone

Abstract - This paper explores how foreign antagonists are portrayed and positioned within the Ip Man trilogy directed by Wilson Yip. Typically, protagonists such as Ip Man are the focal point of research, but this paper will examine the historical and contextual use of foreign antagonists such as the invading Japanese, the corrupt and condescending British, and the rapacious American in the Ip Man trilogy and how their portrayals are transmitted transnationally. The examination of these foreign antagonists in relation to the protagonist Ip Manexpose themes such as nationalism, national identity, and victimhood to a Chinese diaspora.Theyalso expose a non-western spotlight to be transmitted to audiences who may be accustomed to western centered films and culture. A film analysis and qualitative discourse when examining the foreign antagonists in the Ip Mantrilogy deepens the understanding and exploration into the Hong Kong martial arts film genre that so heavily focuses on protagonists. Examining other Hong Kong martial arts films such as the martial arts films that Bruce Lee had pioneered, and the Once Upon a Time in China quadrilogy directed by Tsui Hark, gives greater context relative to the examination of the Ip Man trilogy. The focus on foreign antagonists in these films allows for the transmission of this genre on a transnational level to be relatable bysimilarly oppressed or victimized audiencesand createsa sense of empowerment within them. Keywords: Ip Man trilogy, Nationalism, National Identity, Foreign Antagonists, Victimhood, Empowermen

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Foreign Villains Shape the World: Transnational and Global Antagonists within the Martial Arts Film Trilogy Ip Man

Source- https://repository.usfca.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1814&context=capstone

That's a very interesting paper. While I (and others on here) are tired of the same old "evil westerner" tropes, this dude delves into the how they bolster the heroism of Ip Man and other Chinese characters. I've never really seen it as a two-sided coin.

Nice find, @DragonClaws

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

That principal's office scene might be my most anticipated of all the bunch, I love it so much. 'So, you're a teacher?' 'I am a teacher, I teach Chinese Kung Fu.' hahahahhaah I love that dialogue!!!  Fuck that I wanna see Fastimes at Ip Man High!!! 

No seriously, think about a teen comedy movie with Ip Man as the freaking teacher??? Dude it will be glorious!!! Come on man petition that shit!!

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

No seriously, think about a teen comedy movie with Ip Man as the freaking teacher??? Dude it will be glorious!!! Come on man petition that shit!!

Set in 1960's America?, that way you could have it as a sort of follow on to the latest movie?.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Set in 1960's America?, that way you could have it as a sort of follow on to the latest movie?.

:BL-Laughing: Let's make it happen! 

• Like 2

@ Dragonclaw that trailer was alrdy posted.

New TRAILER IS OUT !:

Omg im so hyped , pls someone save me ! I WANT TO SEE IT NAO ! :P

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

:BL-Laughing: Let's make it happen!  

The odd are against us @OpiumKungFuCracker, Donnie Yen's already turning his back on the character?. Can I rely on you to seek him out Mr Yen in Hong Kong, and persuade him to return for one more Ip Man movie?.

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Donnie, Woo-Ping and Wilson on the movie being the last installment of the franchise.

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/ip-man-4-the-finale-choreographer-no-one-can-succeed-donnie-yen/

3 hours ago, BlueRain83 said:

@ Dragonclaw that trailer was alrdy posted. 

Well spotted, I'd lost track of which Ip Man 4 trailers had been posted.

• Like 2

At least the final trailer had some new footage in it which made me generally excited to watch (yet) another Ip Man movie. Unfortunately it will be almost impossible to catch this on the big screen here. Still no love for martial arts cinema in 2019 going 2020 :dull Oh well maybe some day...

• Like 2

Is there any official website or fb page with showtimes within europe? All this promotion got me wanting to at least watch the grand finale on the big screen! Germany anyone? Please...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DiP said:

Got me even more hyped, especially the mention of a one arm fight, Inlove when they have to get really creative in a fight like that. Shouldn't be long before UK film times appear, though as it comes out Friday 27th we might be waiting until Monday 23rd until we can book.

• Like 2

i snapped this shot in between takes of The Little Dragon & the Leyland Tiger

Danny Chan and Mark Strange in the midst of their battle 

pose.png

• Like 5

If the story will be anything like a mix of all previous entries of the franchise with its' own additions and flavor, then I won't mind. Donnie and team are going all-in with this after all, so I'm sure there will be something that would stand out in the story beyond the xenophobia and kung fu movie conventions.

• Like 3

Doing the whole "Evil gwailos" thing yet again...I can understand to an extent due to the time frame the film is set in, but oh boy, this is one trope that badly needs to be put to rest for good.

• Like 3