Ip Man 4: Donnie Yen, Scott Adkins, Grace Englert, Mark Strange, Chan Kwok-Kwan, Jim Liu (2019)

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

I only needed to see Donnie beating down that hilariously over the top American baddie to know I'm seeing this opening day (providing it gets to the UK). I mean I;d have seen it opening day anyway but there's something so satisfying about those rat a tat machine gun punches! Also, and obviously it's harder to tell from a trailer, but I'm getting vibes that it's going to be much better than 3.

It's interesting that you say that because, watching the trailer, I found myself bored with the idea of the big, mean American bad guy and, quite frankly, I'm tired o the chain punches. Now, with that said, I will be seeing this on Christmas Day, without a doubt. The trailer just didn't grab me quite as much as I'd hoped.
I think the action looks solid though. And it seems like we'll get a full Bruce Lee fight this time around. I wonder whether they'll go for Bruce's later style of fighting rather than the Wing Chun they emphasize in the film.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jay Stone said:

Still can’t find any gweilo who can act?

I think Adkins has gotten consistently better over the years. Although, admittedly, his American accent is a bit wonky.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah the dialogue in the trailer was kinda cringe but man!!! The choreography is still top notch, is Sammo still behind the fight choreo? Adkins lookin good as ever, I gotta see this on the big screen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

The choreography is still top notch, is Sammo still behind the fight choreo? 

Yuen Woo-Ping is the action director.

• Like 2

Yen vs Adkins... Another Bruce Lee portrayal; maybe this time an appropriate one :yociexp27: Count me in.

At the same time these racial stereotypes are getting old. It's been the same since part one to be honest. Some "fresh" setting would be more than welcome by now. Although there is some hint for a unification between east and west and dare I say it a happy end. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 1:51 PM, Drunken Monk said:

And it seems like we'll get a full Bruce Lee fight this time around. I wonder whether they'll go for Bruce's later style of fighting rather than the Wing Chun they emphasize in the film.

Looks like we will be at least getting a nunchaku fight, featuring Bruce Lee's character of course (see below). Feauturing the Yorkshire Kicker Mark Strange, in evil gweilo mode.

18 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Hope the UK puts a short release out soon!!

We might get a Christmas 2020 release date if were lucky, just kdding. I think this film series is popular enough that there will be some kind of limited theatrical run here in Britian.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Looks like we will be at least getting a nunchaku fight, featuring Bruce Lee's character of course (see below). Feauturing the Yorkshire Kicker Mark Strange, in evil gweilo mode.

We might get a Christmas 2020 release date if were lucky, just kdding. I think this film series is popular enough that there will be some kind of limited theatrical run here in Britian.

I went to the ODEON in panton street, west end to watch part 3, limited 1 day showing. 

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 2

• Administrator
On 11/7/2019 at 7:23 AM, SamSeed said:

I only needed to see Donnie beating down that hilariously over the top American baddie to know I'm seeing this opening day (providing it gets to the UK). I mean I;d have seen it opening day anyway but there's something so satisfying about those rat a tat machine gun punches! Also, and obviously it's harder to tell from a trailer, but I'm getting vibes that it's going to be much better than 3.

I'm surprised by how many people I hear talking about part 3 in a negative way. I enjoyed it a lot, and think the weapons duel at the end is some of the best kung fu action to come out of Hong Kong in the last 20 years.

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I no longer believe nunchaku action will be in a new movie until I'm actually watching it happen. TRIPLE THREAT was the latest movie to fake me out with a cover depicting Tony Jaa using my favorite weapon... only to discover there were no nunchaku in the film. NO MORE! :BL-Stop:with the phony nunchaku promises!

That being said... I do hope they have "Bruce" use them in IP MAN 4. :khi8g:

• Like 7

The TRIPLE THREAT photoshopped nunchucks i think came as a suprise to all of us when we saw the artwork.....

But yes nunchucks really do play a part in the battle between the Little Dragon & mighty Mark Strange, and the still of Danny is in mid fight!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Did anyone liked Ip Man 3? Me personally, it was pretty forgettable. 

I love Ip Man 3.  Better than 2 IMO. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I no longer believe nunchaku action will be in a new movie until I'm actually watching it happen. TRIPLE THREAT was the latest movie to fake me out with a cover depicting Tony Jaa using my favorite weapon... only to discover there were no nunchaku in the film. NO MORE! :BL-Stop:with the phony nunchaku promises!

That being said... I do hope they have "Bruce" use them in IP MAN 4.

Not unless I get a hold of them first @KUNG FU BOB, that's the kind of stuff you expect to find on exploitation films poster's. Another example of someone being given the task of designing the poster, with little to no knowledge of the production. That said, not every movie poster designer needs to be a Martial Arts film fan.

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I hope it comes to Lancashire, considering a bit was filmed there!

Did any of these scenes invovle Mark Stange?.

24 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

14 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm surprised by how many people I hear talking about part 3 in a negative way. I enjoyed it a lot, and think the weapons duel at the end is some of the best kung fu action to come out of Hong Kong in the last 20 years.

I'm with @KUNG FU BOB on this one, enjoyed all three films equally. Audiences are always going to be harder to impress, by the time they reach the third movie in a trilogy.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

It's not that I think 3 is bad per se, in fact the fight that starts in the elevator with Ip protecting his wife and then going out into the stairwell is one of my favourite battles in the series, I suppose the quality of what came before was so high anyway that any view of the 3rd entry was skewed by that. Also in my mind the Tyson plot was kind of just a retread of the whole evil foreigners thing from 2 (that being said it's still a very entertaining fight). Maybe I'm just biased because this one will finally deliver the Donnie vs Adkins fight that we've all been waiting so long for!

• Like 3

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

The TRIPLE THREAT photoshopped nunchucks i think came as a suprise to all of us when we saw the artwork.....

But yes nunchucks really do play a part in the battle between the Little Dragon & mighty Mark Strange, and the still of Danny is in mid fight!

Yes, I'll bet! I'm sure that raised an eyebrow of everyone that was involved in making the film.

Thanks for confirming that @Mike Leeder- that's sweet music to me ears. 😁

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Um... do I count as "anyone" to you my brother? 🙄 😄

2 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I love Ip Man 3.  Better than 2 IMO. 

Okay, I'm not alone. LOL

I think they each have merits and weaknesses, but overall, enjoyed each of them.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Not unless I get a hold of them first @KUNG FU BOB, that's the kind of stuff you expect to find on exploitation films poster's. Another example of someone being given the task of designing the poster, with little to no knowledge of the production. That said, not every movie poster designer needs to be a Martial Arts film fan.

Did any of these scenes invovle Mark Stange?.

I'm with @KUNG FU BOB on this one, enjoyed all three films equally. Audiences are always going to be harder to impress, by the time they reach the third movie in a trilogy.

Hahaha... maybe you and I can team up and have a classic two heroes against one villain fight with "that bastard!"

"That said, not every movie poster designer needs to be a Martial Arts film fan." Huh? 😦 You bite your tongue sir! 😝 Here I am trying to convince all film distributor's of the exact opposite... 😆

1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

It's not that I think 3 is bad per se, in fact the fight that starts in the elevator with Ip protecting his wife and then going out into the stairwell is one of my favourite battles in the series, I suppose the quality of what came before was so high anyway that any view of the 3rd entry was skewed by that. Also in my mind the Tyson plot was kind of just a retread of the whole evil foreigners thing from 2 (that being said it's still a very entertaining fight). Maybe I'm just biased because this one will finally deliver the Donnie vs Adkins fight that we've all been waiting so long for!

Oh yeah- the elevator fight is killer!

Like most people, I thought the stunt casting was extremely strange and didn't make much sense for the time period. But after a bit I accepted it- well, that's what they're doing, so... we're going to see Donnie Yen go up against Mike Tyson on-screen. Very interesting! And once I saw it, it was exciting. Every punch that Tyson's character threw looked like it could kill Ip Man if it landed. I got lost in the film, caught up in the thrill of the battle, and wasn't distracted at all by my initial feelings regarding the casting.

I'm with you on that @SamSeed. Me, my son, and all my friends that are martial arts fans have eagerly been awaiting and hoping for a Yen vs Adkins match. Can hardly wait.

2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think Ip Man 3 might be the best of the series for me. Thought I do prefer Sammo’s choreography to Woo Ping’s.

Right on. Wasn't feeling the wire-heavy table fight though. A waste of an opportunity for what could've been a great scene in my opinion.

• Like 6

Loved the first one,not that impressed with the second,but thought the third was on par with the first,and as been mentioned the weapons fight finale was fantastic.👍👍

• Like 5

I liked the third more than the spin off film. Though, I will watch the sequel to the spin off film

Edited by LoBo
Fixed a mistake
  • Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker

Alright guys, fine! I'll rewatch part 3. I still think the table top fight in part 2 is hard to beat. And the fish market fight with Sammo was another memorable fight scene in 2 as well. I only remember the Tyson fight in part 3. Also in part 3, Ip's wife had little to no part in the movie, correct? I really like her and I think she is hot as well which is why I didn't like part 3 as much? 

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh and the fake Tony Jaa elevator fight scene in 3? That was very underwhelming, the dude didn't do anything or move like a tony jaa. But I'll let it slide since Ip's wife was in that scene too and man oh man is she a babe! :monk_swinging:

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 11/10/2019 at 1:23 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

For me 'Ip Man 3' is the best in the series after the first one.  Why?  Because it made it about Ip Man again.  The 2nd one just had Ip Man as an avatar for the indomitable Chinese spirit, with key characters like Lynn Hung (she's in 3 much more than 2!), Simon Yam, and Fan Siu Wong stuffed so far into the background they may as well have not been there at all.  Oh, & don't get me started on that table top fight.

From the trailer for round 4, it looks like the tone has swung back to leaning on the jingoism that permeated throughout the sequel, so I'm tempted to skip.  Yeah the prospect of Yen vs. Adkins is a tempting one, but I've been burnt that way before.  Still regret that $20 cinema ticket to see Adkins face off against Wu Jing in 'Wolf Warrior'.  Thankfully the memory of that one has now all but been erased. 

• Like 5