Ip Man 4: Donnie Yen, Scott Adkins, Grace Englert, Mark Strange, Chan Kwok-Kwan, Jim Liu (2019)

DragonClaws

I'm all for Ip Man 4, but with the way things are going, one could assume that it does get kinda racist. After a while, I find it contradictory when it talks about the "sick man from the east" every three seconds and the filmmakers look for any white guy to have beaten up in their movies. I don't mean just the Ip Man films in general, but look at the others, like OUTIC 3

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
6 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I'm all for Ip Man 4, but with the way things are going, one could assume that it does get kinda racist. After a while, I find it contradictory when it talks about the "sick man from the east" every three seconds and the filmmakers look for any white guy to have beaten up in their movies. I don't mean just the Ip Man films in general, but look at the others, like OUTIC 3

i'm hoping Ip Man 4 stays away from the "foreign devil" thing. It's been done to death and that very franchise did it in the second outing. At least the foreign devil in the third film was black. That's a step forward.
Weirdly, I've never found it racist. The Brits weren't exactly nice to the Chinese. It's only normal for them to see white people as evil. To me, it's like a black person pointing out slavery. It happened. And it was white people that did it.

• Like 5

DragonClaws

Anyone else think that Scott Adkins might be Ip Man top opponent in this one?.

39 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Brits weren't exactly nice to the Chinese. It's only normal for them to see white people as evil. To me, it's like a black person pointing out slavery. It happened. And it was white people that did it.

True, slavery also being going on since the days of the earliest civilizations, and often it was one race doing it to their own people.

You are right, they need to find a villian for Ip Man to fight, that's not linked to anything racial.

On April 27, 2018 "Donnie Yen has announced that production has started on the fourth movie in the Ip Man franchise, which is likely going to be the last."  Like Ip Man 3 was likely to be the last?  "The Ip Man movies are based on the true story of the titular martial arts master, played by Donnie Yen, who lived from 1893 to 1972."  Yup, Donnie died in 1972.  Quotes are from http://screenanarchy.com/2018/04/ip-man-4---director-wilson-yip-and-donnie-yen-are-back-contrib.html   The IMDB page, last updated on April 14th, has the cast now listed at 3 people, including Wu Yue and Chris Collins.  The plot is still "unknown".   And Donnie Yen on Instagram (April 27) - "Wilson Yip(director)enthusiastically promised me that this fourth one will be the best one!"  

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

There's an Ip Man tv series on amazon prime as we speak. Ya'll heard or have seen this yet? I'm half-way into episode one it's kinda rad. Now remember this is your typical tai seng style production here not like a movie. Anyone?

Anyone else felt like 3 was completely unnecasary? I mean I love the series and hope it would continue in a good direction, but aside from the construction scene I didnt get much from it, (nor the actual potential that fight scene had). But Ill still be excitedly awaiting this new installment of Fic Man (fictitious IP Man). My initial response to hearing it will be set in American Chinatown was great, after really enjoying Birth of The Dragon, however on second thought I dont see how a tiny China can compare to the real thing. And that American/Asian thing has already been played out a bit, not what this series needs imo.

Nope. Sure, things were a bit slow-paced in the beginning but the things that happen in the story --- Frank wanting to get hold of the land by buying the school by any means necessary and Master Cheung trying to make a name for himself as a rickshaw puller and underground fighter --- were essential to what the makers wanted to culminate as far as Yip Man's life goes: His relationship with his wife. Theme-wise, all three movies are different. The first movie was about survival (fighting back), the second one about assimilation/union (organizing), whereas the third one about unselfishness/love (putting dear ones above all).

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

There's an Ip Man tv series on amazon prime as we speak.

Is it this one starring Kevin Cheng, Chrissie Chau, Cecilia Han -

Ip Man: Season 1 

Season 1 was released in the US on Blu-ray and DVD by Cinedigm in October  2017.  There's a thread in the TV Series topic - Ip Man TV Series (2013)

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Does anyone think they're going to add a big name to this one or is Wu Yue (who is doing pretty well as far as filmographies go) going to be it?

kingofkungfu2002
46 minutes ago, reason108 said:

On a side note: From that photo above - I would like to see Episode 4 in black n white. 

Just turn the colour down on your TV. :wink

• Like 4

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does anyone think they're going to add a big name to this one or is Wu Yue (who is doing pretty well as far as filmographies go) going to be it?

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that it would be cool to see Scott Adkins brought in as one of the top opponenets for Donnie Yen.

My hype level has just shot up dramatically (it was already quite high)

Wilson Yip returns

Yuen Woo-Ping (enough said) -- hopefully he hasn't lost his touch

Scott Adkins fighting Donnie Yen

All in!

• Like 2

DragonClaws
7 hours ago, Asmo said:

How prescient of you, @DragonClaws

Thanks, if only I could do the same with this week lottery numbers.

Adkins/Yen, superb to see Adkins get acknowledged by one of his idols, and top stars of the modern era.

• Like 1

Hopefully it isn't like in SFV reveal trailer for F.A.N.G. And he is finished in 2 minutes, If not then i will be looking forward to this. Nice to hear Scott will be in this, I hope he performs to his abilities though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slinky#1 said:

Hopefully it isn't like in SFV reveal trailer for F.A.N.G. And he is finished in 2 minutes, If not then i will be looking forward to this. Nice to hear Scott will be in this, I hope he performs to his abilities though.

I imagine that being in a prestigious Ip Man and fighting one of his idols will mean he performs at the very top of his game.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Ex U.S Marine Chris Collins(Paradox), has now joined the cast of Ip Man 4.

News via The Film Combat Syndicate.

c16f041072529ec3d2367e13e74ac226.jpg

• Like 2

TheFlyingPanda
On 4/4/2017 at 3:25 PM, DragonClaws said:

Maybe he should make Drunken Master 3, and have himself playing the part of the old master?.

That's Awesome, If only...

• Like 2