Ip Man 4: Donnie Yen, Scott Adkins, Grace Englert, Mark Strange, Chan Kwok-Kwan, Jim Liu (2019)

DragonClaws

Drunken Monk

I don't think "Ip Man 3" had many noticeable wire-assisted moments at all. Not compared to "Ip Man 2" anyway. In fact, I think the series has been pretty great with basing the choreography in grounded styles and not running away with itself.

• Like 3

Apart from the trio master fight scene, Ip Man 2 actually doesn't have too much wirework either. But some people here make a great point of differentiating the use of wirework instead of generalizing which is easy to do.

• Like 1

The chair and table stuff was alittle strong, Not to much though as already said though.

Edited by slinky#1
  • Like 2

Well, Donnie is wrapping Big Brother very soon and just got started shooting Enter the Fat Dragon so he's quite busy at the moment. I'm sure they will get to it, I would say during late Spring/early Summer.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2018 at 7:14 PM, DiP said:

Well, Donnie is wrapping Big Brother very soon and just got started shooting Enter the Fat Dragon so he's quite busy at the moment. I'm sure they will get to it, I would say during late Spring/early Summer.

Looks like you were right @DiP, according to the Kung Fu Moive Guide twitter page, filming begins in March.

Edited by DragonClaws

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, DiP said:

Shooting starts next month in the US. The story will be about Yip Man visiting the US in search of Bruce Lee.

http://www.jaynestars.com/news/donnie-yen-to-film-ip-man-4-in-april-story-to-focus-on-bruce-lee-arc/

I was hoping they wouldn’t go the Bruce Lee route. I get that he’s synonymous with Ip Man but do we really need to see that story told? I thought the third film did a great job with Bruce. Nothing too over the top.

It’s a bit weird that it starts shooting next month and yet no other cast members have been named. Do we even know who’s doing the choreography this time around? Compared to the previous films, this one has been very quiet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

*Cough Cough*

Image result for Once Upon A Time In China and America

I think you are going to be correct on this; on every level possible. Well, at least we had 2 1/2 good Ip Man films. :smile 

Yeah, the story already is a letdown. Enough about BL, sheesh! And, no, Ip never came to the US to look for Bruce. Rather dumb storyline for a 4th movie. They should have ended the series with the last film as that was a nice closure. 

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
13 hours ago, DiP said:

The story will be about Yip Man visiting the US in search of Bruce Lee.

This sounds like a terminally dull storyline to focus on.  Who cares?  Here's hoping the US setting doesn't also result in an over the top foreign devil being the main villain again like 'Ip Man 2'.

The most ridiculous part is that this will probably be completed and released, and there'll still be no sign of 'Ice Man 2', the follow-up to Yen's post-2010 masterpiece.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

and there'll still be no sign of 'Ice Man 2', the follow-up to Yen's post-2010 masterpiece.

I am actually one of the folks who is waiting for part 2. It wasn't great but I did enjoy pt 1.

Next month will be 4 years since the release of pt 1.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I was hoping they wouldn’t go the Bruce Lee route. I get that he’s synonymous with Ip Man but do we really need to see that story told? I thought the third film did a great job with Bruce. Nothing too over the top.

10 hours ago, reason108 said:

Yeah, the story already is a letdown. Enough about BL, sheesh! And, no, Ip never came to the US to look for Bruce.

While I'm not really down with this idea either, the entire series has used a lot of artistic license. It could still turn out to be a fun and entertaining movie, and this being the Ip Man movie series, his character should get the focus/most screen time.

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

This sounds like a terminally dull storyline to focus on.  Who cares?  Here's hoping the US setting doesn't also result in an over the top foreign devil being the main villain again like 'Ip Man 2'.

It could easily go that route, or they may just end up fighting some evil Asian's from the states.

With them not going the factual route with these fims, they could have set the fourth film anywhere. Had him go to Japan and face some of the Masters there, though I guess that would easily become more about patriotism than Martial Arts action. Or have him team up with some Japanese heroes to face a common enemy?.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I took a quick peek at IMDB and it has Yuen Woo Ping doing the action choreography. So that's one question (albeit my own question) answered.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

While I'm not really down with this idea either, the entire series has used a lot of artistic license. It could still turn out to be a fun and entertaining movie, and this being the Ip Man movie series, his character should get the focus/most screen time.

I think they should just go the route of remaking the Tsui Hark/Jet Li movie 'The Master'.  Now that I'd watch.

Had him go to Japan and face some of the Masters there, though I guess that would easily become more about patriotism than Martial Arts action.

I worry that it'll end up about patriotism anyway.  With the success of 'Wolf Warrior 2' and 'Operation Red Sea' China cinematic flag waving is going through another peak, like we saw affected 'Ip Man 2' in 2010, so with the American setting it'd be easy to become a tale of the Chinese hero overcoming the arrogant westerners.  The character of Ip Man onscreen has also lost the elements which made him so relatable,

Spoiler

like the passing of his wife at the end of the third

Or have him team up with some Japanese heroes to face a common enemy?.

Considering the events of the first one, and the fact that this is a Chinese movie, I think it's safe to say there'd be more chance of Ip Man teaming up with a group of martians.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It looks like Woo Ping's spin-off might incorporate the "foreign devil" cliche since Dave Baustista's in it. Although, granted, we haven't even seen a trailer yet. I'm hoping "Ip Man 4" will stay well away from that particular plot device.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I worry that it'll end up about patriotism anyway.  With the success of 'Wolf Warrior 2' and 'Operation Red Sea' China cinematic flag waving is going through another peak, like we saw affected 'Ip Man 2' in 2010, so with the American setting it'd be easy to become a tale of the Chinese hero overcoming the arrogant westerners.  The character of Ip Man onscreen has also lost the elements which made him so relatable,

Yeah it probably will be featuring some form of flag waving, something Hollywood has been equally guilty of in the past. All countries have used films to drum national pride etc, going back to the days of the 2nd Wolrd War.

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

so with the American setting it'd be easy to become a tale of the Chinese hero overcoming the arrogant westerners. 

All they need is a big westerner like Dolph Lundgren to step in, as some corrupt politican, or have him play an illegal human trafficker.

• Like 3

I just hope that the filmmakers don't fall into the trap of repeating themselves or repeating the same old cliches. They need to keep it interesting. But, if this turns out to be a re-hash of Ip Man 2, IP fighting a boxer much bigger than himself, or involves an underground fighting ring, then I am outta here! Right now, my Spidey sense is tingling! I really don't know where this story can lead to. Once the trailer hits then that should tell us exactly what we need to know about this.

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

Shooting began on April 7th and Donnie just shared some footage from the opening ceremony. I can't see any other cast members though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Shooting began on April 7th and Donnie just shared some footage from the opening ceremony. I can't see any other cast members though.

Maybe Donnie is the only person appearing in this film? :smile

But, there we have Donnie saying that it is probably the last Ip Man film? That is how I read it. But, maybe what Donnie is really saying here is that this is the last Ip Man movie unless it makes a butt-load of money and he can get an even bigger paycheck to make another one. :smile Well, that is what I would be saying if I were him. Right? 

• Like 2

DragonClaws

I wonder if parts of the actual story is set in the U.K?, though that sounds unlikley considering the plot, or if they will just be doing interior shots on a sound stage here?. Maybe Scott Adkins will be the Ip Man's new foe?.

• Like 1