Ip Man 4: Donnie Yen, Scott Adkins, Grace Englert, Mark Strange, Chan Kwok-Kwan, Jim Liu (2019)

DragonClaws

2 hours ago, Karlos said:

Doing the whole "Evil gwailos" thing yet again...I can understand to an extent due to the time frame the film is set in, but oh boy, this is one trope that badly needs to be put to rest for good.

Agreed. Going into this one with an open mind (on Friday!), but I'll be hoping for some characterisation beyond 'gwailo = bad' this time. At least Ip Man 3 showed a human side to it all.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

A less than glowing review by Asian Film Strike...

https://asianfilmstrike.com/2019/12/16/ip-man-4-the-finale-2019-review/

Sounds like the action is good but everything else we've seen before.

To be honest that's what I expect from an Ip Man film. I mean nobody could call the plots of any of the three films so far 'original' or 'creative' really! But within the context of the genre, they work perfectly, why on Earth would you 'shake up the formula' when it works so well? All I needed so see was Scott Adkins, Chris Collins and Mark Strange and I'm sold! I will admit the report of the racist caricature's being worse than Ip Man 2 does't fill me with a lot of hope, but hey, the more annoying they are, the more satisfying their eventual beatdown becomes. Oh and the bit about the Yen/Adkins fight being the most brutal in the franchise so far? TAKE MY DAMN MONEY NOW!

Also, tickets are now onsale at 7 Odeon and 5 Cineworld cinemas, get this, for Christmas Day! Something to watch to let the Christmas dinner go down!

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/ip_man_4/18943/#showtimes

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/ip-man-4-the-finale-cantonese/ho00007196#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00007196&view-mode=list

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 4

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

To be honest that's what I expect from an Ip Man film. I mean nobody could call the plots of any of the three films so far 'original' or 'creative' really! But within the context of the genre, they work perfectly, why on Earth would you 'shake up the formula' when it works so well? All I needed so see was Scott Adkins, Chris Collins and Mark Strange and I'm sold! I will admit the report of the racist caricature's being worse than Ip Man 2 does't fill me with a lot of hope, but hey, the more annoying they are, the more satisfying their eventual beatdown becomes. Oh and the bit about the Yen/Adkins fight being the most brutal in the franchise so far? TAKE MY DAMN MONEY NOW!

Also, tickets are now onsale at 7 Odeon and 5 Cineworld cinemas, get this, for Christmas Day! Something to watch to let the Christmas dinner go down!

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/ip_man_4/18943/#showtimes

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/ip-man-4-the-finale-cantonese/ho00007196#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00007196&view-mode=list

is this the only time it will be shown?

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

A less than glowing review by Asian Film Strike...

https://asianfilmstrike.com/2019/12/16/ip-man-4-the-finale-2019-review/

Sounds like the action is good but everything else we've seen before.

OK this sounds remotely similar to part 3 and I do not want to sit in a theater for that. Sounds like a netflix or an amazon prime on the couch watch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

BOOKED 6,30 PM BOXING DAY..CINEWORLD

Much as I;d love to see it Boxing Day, I'd have to rely on a train to get me to the nearest cinema showing it and Boxing Day trains are notoriously bad (plus the SouthWesternRailway strike). If they're still showing it the day after though I'll absolutely see it then!

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
2 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

Much as I;d love to see it Boxing Day, I'd have to rely on a train to get me to the nearest cinema showing it and Boxing Day trains are notoriously bad (plus the SouthWesternRailway strike). If they're still showing it the day after though I'll absolutely see it then!

that's a shame or i would have shouted you to some good strong rice wine..mr sifu sam seed!!

• Like 3

For those in the US, do NOT rely on Well Go USA’s site for showtimes in your area. It doesn’t mention Maryland at all. I checked my local theater’s site and...TA DA! I now have tickets for Christmas Day!

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
5 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I just got through watching it, & gave the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/ip-man-4-the-finale-2019-review/

Too early to rank them? Of course not -

1. Ip Man (2008)

2. Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019)

3. Ip Man 3 (2015)

4. Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy (2018)

5. Ip Man 2 (2010)

Oh sweet jesus! I trust your reviews more than I trust my own momma!!! Ok I will see this on the 24th!!! 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Great review @One Armed Boxer, I really enjoyed reading that one and I like how villians came across in the movie. With you describing how they are each given their moment to shine.

When the first movies came out, I wasnt following the genre that closely anymore. I ended up seeing all three movies one Christmas, in a weekend long marathon. When I was given all three movies on Blu-Ray as gift. This will be first movie in the series I've veiwed as a stand alone. It would be great to see another picture with Donnie Yen maybe passng on the torch to someone new?.

This has been shown in the area where I live, but I just didnt have the budget to go see it. I intend to purchase this on Blu-Ray when its released here. Even if I manage to catch another cinema screening here.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. Would rank it above Ip Man 3 and maybe 2, easily. I feel like this is the role that helped Donnie become a legitimate dramatic actor, he carried his performance as an aged Ip Man so well.

• Like 5

Nice to read that some of you guys are placing it above everything but the original Ip Man movie. Still a little skeptical but I will be seeing it at some point in time. Hoping it comes to where I live. If not then I will wait for home video.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

A quick question for everyone here, how much do you think a review of Ip Man 4 or any other movie. Would vary if you watched it on a cinema screen rather than at home. Sadly cinamatic-scope  appears to be lost on younger genrations, who seek out entertianment on even smaller screen's. I thought watching pan and scanned copies of Martial Arts on a small 12-inch colour T.V was bad enough. When I swtiched to a Wide-screen T.V and DVD player, Hong Kong movies took on a whole new life. I only wished I watched more of them in cinemas first. Im sure you might enjoy some scenes even more on a big screen. While some of the negatives or goofs can be even easier to spot.

I only managed to watch a small number of Martial Arts features theatrically. Even Jackie Chan's more popular Hollywood fair like Rush Hour 2 never last long on cinema screen in my area. These films alway got side-lined for the big Hollywood blockbuster's. Indiependent English movies would often get treated even worse than Asian fair. I guess the big studios had more clout when it came to the amount screenings, than the indie studios do?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 12/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, Asmo said:

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. Would rank it above Ip Man 3 and maybe 2, easily. I feel like this is the role that helped Donnie become a legitimate dramatic actor, he carried his performance as an aged Ip Man so well.

You had me at it's better than part 3. 

• Like 2

Saw all the fight scenes so far. I enjoyed all of them, until I heard the lines "I'm a 4th dan in Kyokuten Karate"... Then he proceeds to fight in a poorly choreographed Shotokan variation 🤣. Other than that, I cant wait to catch this on blu ray

• Like 1

The one cinema vaguely near to me is only showing it on Boxing Day! There are no trains on Boxing Day, so looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD that seemingly doesn't have a release date anytime soon!

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 2

saw this at the screening last night, decent  action scenes and laughable dialogue from the american actors, wu yue was really good as the tai chi master and donnie was decent as usual plus really good acting from him here,  and scott was enjoying his role as the villian a good watch but not the best in the series.

• Like 2