Red Shadow (2001)

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

Now I loved Red Shadow, very good Ninja movie. but don't think of it as a traditional movie and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Shadow is all in color, and maybe there's a bit more action. But overall, it's in a similar vein as Samurai Fiction---quirky, modern music, stylish, kind of off-beat story with some sadness. If you're looking for lots of kick-ass fight scenes, you'd probably be disappointed, but if you enjoyed SF you'd probably like it.

"Red Shadow" This movie has been out for a few years now and I thought I'd start a new thread about this movie now I really enjoyed this movie a lot really good action scenes and a very good storyline, this is a Ninja movie for today from the director of "Samurai Fiction".

Three ninjas, Red Shadow, Blue Shadow and Aska work their way through feudal Japan, often engaging in some highly dangerous missions. They work under the watchful eye of the masterful White Shadow, who trains them, and teaches them to overcome their weaknesses. The society they live in offers plenty of challenges for the fearless warriors, but their insecurities could provide their ultimate downfall if they don't learn how to have confidence in their abilities. Fast paced Anime, RED SHADOW offers some incredible action, animation, and a great soundtrack.

512F5FFM94L._SS500_.jpg

oldeschool17

visually i thought it was great, save for a few scenes at night that you couldnt see. However, i thought overall it wasnt that great.

oldeschool17: see that is where I have to disagree I really enjoyed this movie. I just wish they had made a sequel, it's not like a traditional Ninja movie it was funny at times and I thought the action scenes were really good. True some of the night scenes were a little dark but you still seen the action. The cast was good I just wish we could see some more movies been made like that.

DragonClaws

Last year I picked up a copy of this Japanese ninja comedy from the Toei company. The film came as part of a four pack, released in the U.K on DVD by ILC. Unfortunately I was unable to fully enjoy the movie, due to one very important factor. There was no English Dub or subtitle options on the DVD. After about hour I finally gave up on the movie, and went to bed. It looked like it could be a fun parody of the ninja genre. Megumi Okina helped me stick it out, as long as I did, but the film looks like it could be hard to follow even when in English. Anyone else pick up this release? or had similar problems with other Asian movie releases?.

Megumi Okina with co-stars Kumiko Aso and Masanobu Ando in a promotional still for the film.

1ca024ca1bbd7fd0c70848d8732a5f91.jpg

I have this movie somewhere, think I started to watch it and just couldn't get into it, I'll have to try to find it and see if it had subtitles.

masterofoneinchpunch
22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Last year I picked up a copy of this Japanese ninja comedy from the Toei company. The film came as part of a four pack, released in the U.K on DVD by ILC. Unfortunately I was unable to fully enjoy the movie, due to one very important factor. There was no English Dub or subtitle options on the DVD. After about hour I finally gave up on the movie, and went to bed. It looked like it could be a fun parody of the ninja genre. Megumi Okina helped me stick it out, as long as I did, but the film looks like it could be hard to follow even when in English. Anyone else pick up this release? or had similar problems with other Asian movie releases?.

I have the Tokyo Shock R1 release of this and it comes with English subtitles.

Considering that Hiroyuki Nakano directed Samurai Fiction which I liked quite a lot, I had a lot of trouble getting into this one.  Also given a few years since I last saw it, it did not have much staying power in my memory either.  My IMDB rating is 6/10 which means my first impression of it was so-so.

I rarely have issue with subtitles (though I have had a few Tokyo Shock's that refused to work or had issues with pixalization and stopping later in the movie), though that did happen with Enter the Phoenix (only for Jackie Chan completeists and he does not even say a single word) where the subtitles would not work correctly on my DVD player (though they did on the computer where I had to watch it.)

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I have the Tokyo Shock R1 release of this and it comes with English subtitles.

Thanks for the feedback @masterofoneinchpunch, the U.K release is only abudget disc, so maybe I'm expecting too much?. Thought they would have gone with dubbed print, if there is one?.

What did you think of the movie?.

masterofoneinchpunch
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for the feedback @masterofoneinchpunch, the U.K release is only abudget disc, so maybe I'm expecting too much?. Thought they would have gone with dubbed print, if there is one?.

What did you think of the movie?.

All I remember was bits and pieces of scenes and the constant nagging feeling that it was not good as Samurai Fiction.

Archived