Deleted scenes that we'll probably never see...

KenHashibe

masterofoneinchpunch
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Much appreciated @masterofoneinchpunch, guess the cinemas wanted to fit in more screenings per day, for more profit?.

Yes, of course.  That tends to affect many theaters, but especially Hong Kong during it's heyday.

"Hong Kong movies must be 90-100 minutes long because the theaters seek to maximize the number of shows." -- Planet Hong Kong by David Bordwell

This is the cause of many, many deleted (and lost) scenes.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I noticed that one of the James Tien fights, looks cut in all the prints Ive watched of Spiritual Kung Fu. During the film he challenges various masters. In one of the fights, you can see some lackeys lying on the ground unconsciouse. Yet you never see James Tien or anyone else fight with them. That maybe a sequence that only appears in the Korean cut?.

There is a possibility. The only deleted scenes I've seen from the Korean version of the film are the ones in the video I linked to unfortunately.

7 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It did.  This is from John Woo himself (source Kenneth Hall's John Woo The Films -- a book easily worth it if you are a John Woo fan):

I believe some of this deleted footage did survive, including the infamous alternate ending. I like both endings. I can't really choose which one I like more since both are still horrifically punishing and bleak.

Here's the alternate ending if you haven't seen it already...

SPOILERS (duh):

However, I'm pretty sure the entire 2 hour and 35 minutes didn't survive and are very likely lost. 

4 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Yes, of course.  That tends to affect many theaters, but especially Hong Kong during it's heyday.

"Hong Kong movies must be 90-100 minutes long because the theaters seek to maximize the number of shows." -- Planet Hong Kong by David Bordwell

Yeah, I noticed a lot of Hong Kong movies (or just movies at the time in general) were typically around 90-100 minutes. Thanks for the possible explanation for the abundance of deleted/lost scenes.

1 hour ago, KenHashibe said:

However, I'm pretty sure the entire 2 hour and 35 minutes didn't survive and are very likely lost. 

The longest known version is the 136 minute festival cut, that exists as a bootleg VHS.

DragonClaws
On 13/03/2017 at 9:16 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Thanks @masterofoneinchpunch, I've read a lot about European/Western movies being cut for the same reason. Akira Kurosawa Seven Samurai had the same problems, so did David Lean's Laurence Of Arabia, and Stanley Kubircks Sparticus to name just a few.

On 14/03/2017 at 2:32 AM, KenHashibe said:

There is a possibility. The only deleted scenes I've seen from the Korean version of the film are the ones in the video I linked to unfortunately.

I'd never seen those Spiritual Kung Fu Korean sequences before, so thanks for posting them.

There's a lot of Korean movies that I'd love to see in their original versions. Before Godfrey Ho bought the rights and went all scissor happy on them.

Yes madam starring Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock had a fight scene where they take on some Kung fu masters which was never put into the film.Not sure if they finished it but there were stills of it and there were some scenes shot.

I always thought the fight scene in shanghai knights in the library which is on the DVD extras in its complete form was much better than what ended up in the film,its longer and seems to have more of a rhythm to it 

Mike Leeder

The frustrating thing ref the lost fight from YES MADAM where Cynthia Rothrock and Michelle Yeoh take on a number of classic old school kung fu masters including if i recall Chu Chi-ling and the Stick King Hsu Hsia from DRUNKEN MASTER....it was fully edited and only cut because of the running time, always hoped it would turn up on a Korean or Taiwan release of the film, but seems like it never made it onto any released version..... there were pics from it used on lobby cards and also on the UK sleeve for Police Assassins 2 as they called it for UK release

its probably sitting in the same Fortune Star vault where all the lost GAME OF DEATH footage was, labelled and everything......

One very interesting deleted scene from recent years I'd love to see is the missing action sequence we shot in China for IRON MAN 3 with Wu Jing and Iron Man battling terrorists, we shot it originally to be an Online Promo for the movie's China release, we had Tony Ling Chi-wah from Yuen Woo-ping's team as action director, and Tomer Oz as one of the bad guys..... very cool scene but for reasons that have never been explained, the footage was never used or seen again

i'd like to see the deleted scenes from Project A put back in film,what were on the extras for the fortune star box set

sifu iron perm
On 15/03/2017 at 6:29 PM, sym8 said:

Yes madam starring Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock had a fight scene where they take on some Kung fu masters which was never put into the film.Not sure if they finished it but there were stills of it and there were some scenes shot.

what in the ???

this sounds good..

sifu iron perm

i used to own the UK vhs release of YES madam aka P Assassins 2. i do remember a still on the back cover with Michelle posing/holding a bench stool..

im trying to find a still with cynthia and miche battling the masters??

43 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

i used to own the UK vhs release of YES madam aka P Assassins 2. i do remember a still on the back cover with Michelle posing/holding a bench stool..

im trying to find a still with cynthia and miche battling the masters??

I looked online earlier but couldnt find any pics

6 hours ago, thehangman said:

I looked online earlier but couldnt find any pics

Here's some pictures not the best quality though

IMG_0026.JPG

Here's another still from yes madam from the cut fight scene with the Kung fu masters

IMG_0027.JPG

sifu iron perm
12 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I found this image on Douban. I believe it's from the deleted "kung fu masters" fight from Yes, Madam! If I'm not mistaken, this picture shows Michelle Yeoh kicking Chiu Chi-Ling in the face. Then there's Fung Hak-On in the background:

https://img3.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2219377724.jp

that looks cool but looks out of place with the film's setting.

Mike Leeder

it was a scene where they go to a temple looking for an informant and all the old Kung Fu masters Hsu Hsia, Chu Chi-ling, Fung Hark-on etc are all hanging out making mischief, kind of like the guys who hang around the park outside the Temple on Temple Street

masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Tex Killer said:

Wasn`t there longer cut of "better tomorrow 2" also which did never end to public circulation?

Yes.  I'll quote John Woo below [interview with Kenneth Hall November 8, 1995]:

[The] original cut was two hours and 40 minutes, which was pretty long.  You know, the original concept was pretty close to Godfather Part II.  [There was] more story on Chow Yun-fat and Leslie Cheung -- because while I'm shooting I realized that Dean Shek's part wouldn't work.  But Tsui Hark insisted on having him, and after we shot the whole film we got the release date [as] one week.  So we were forced to cut -- we cut about one hour of footage, so we had to separate into six or seven groups, I cut, Hark cut the first two reels, and I cut three or four and the editor cut another two or three reals, and I never had the chance to put it together and look.  I saw it in the theater -- I was shocked -- why was the movie so choppy?  Some  of the story didn't make sense

7 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Yes.  I'll quote John Woo below [interview with Kenneth Hall November 8, 1995]:

Wish that would one day appears. Been thinking always part 1 is far overrated and part2 while superb action could have some character development....But besides end, "rice" so terrific....

masterofoneinchpunch
18 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Wish that would one day appears. Been thinking always part 1 is far overrated and part2 while superb action could have some character development....But besides end, "rice" so terrific....

Given the bad environment for film storage in Hong Kong I do not think we have much of a chance to see any of these deleted scenes.  They were either tossed or destroyed.

My friend still quotes the "rice" segment every once and a while when we eat.

I still think 1 is good, though a bit overrated when compared to The Killer or Hardboiled.  However, it's importance really cannot be denied.  If it was not a success (an analogy would be like Iron Man (2008)) we would not have had a vast amount of triad films afterwards and who knows what would have happened with Chow Yun-fat's career.  Plus there would not have been a sequel :).

Archived