Deleted scenes that we'll probably never see...

KenHashibe

Not sure if a thread on this topic already exists, but anyway...

Doesn't it suck that back in the day, deleted scenes would often be discarded or destroyed. Back then, there was no internet and there were no "DVD special features". So, often times, studios would destroy unused footage because they see no use for them. However, as you know, now we do have the internet and DVD special features. It's really a shame that these infamous scenes will probably never be seen. With this thread, I'd like to talk about some of examples of scenes in our favorite martial arts that didn't make the cut that will very likely never see the light of day.

I'll get the obvious one out of the way:

THE BIG BOSS (1971)

The Big Boss is missing the infamous "saw in head" scene and a sex scene between Bruce Lee and Malalin Bonnak. Bits of footage from the sex scene can be found in the original uncut Chinese trailer while production photos of the "saw in head" scene are currently known to exist. But you guys already know that, so let's move on.

(go to 3:04, NSFW)

EASTERN CONDORS (1987)

About half of the scenes in the original HK trailer for Eastern Condors aren't in the finished film. Apparently the opening 20 minutes of Eastern Condors in the prison is completely missing, including scenes of Sammo Hung getting beaten by some prison guards, an over-the-top basketball scene, and many, many others. I personally would love to see these scenes. I feel the character development is pretty much non-existent, but I feel with these additional 20 minutes, we can really be acquainted with these characters before they go on their mission.

PROJECT A 2 (1987)

Holy hell, there's so much footage missing from this movie. Some of these scenes include...

A scene in which Jackie is about to throw down with his superior...

Movie01.jpg

A scene in which Jackie is sent to prison...

https://img1.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p1939025659.jpg

bts+projekt+b+deleted+2.jpg

A scene in which Rosamund Kwan poses as an officer (or at least I'm pretty sure that's Rosamund Kwan)...

https://img3.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2292467370.jpg

And an execution scene. Who's being executed? Why? I don't know...

https://img1.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2292467357.jpg

Strangely enough, footage from this execution scene actually still exists in the Japanese trailer of the film. (I haven't seen the Japanese version of Project A 2, so for all I know, this is in the Japanese version) (go to 1:13)

Well anyway, I could go on and on about more movies with infamous deleted scenes, but there are just way too many to name. What other deleted scenes from martial arts/Hong Kong movies have you been dying to see?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fist of the Heavenly Sky
4 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

THE BIG BOSS (1971)

The Big Boss is missing the infamous "saw in head" scene and a sex scene between Bruce Lee and Malalin Bonnak. Bits of footage from the sex scene can be found in the original uncut Chinese trailer while production photos of the "saw in head" scene are currently known to exist. But you guys already know that, so let's move on.

(go to 3:04, NSFW)

Correction: That's not actually Marilyn Bautista in 3:04. She played the whore-with-a-heart-of-gold who allies herself with Cheng (Bruce Lee) midway through the movie. She is also more plump and lighter skinned, whereas the other Thai prostitute (whose actual name is unfortunately unknown) from the actual sex scene you mentioned is more petite and brown-skinned.  

I'd love to see the eastern condors footage,dont think its in any version,unless maybe taiwanese print?

Also lots of Drunken Master 2 was shot and binned what Lau Kar Leung shot before he left,id like to see what was shot.

Supposed to be lots more of The Young Master and Dragon Lord shot aswell.

45 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Great idea for a thread!

Not a deleted scene as such, but as a Cynthia Khan fan I'd love to see the export version ending of 'Tiger Cage 2', which has a Khan-led action finale rather than Donnie Yen.

A full comparison can be found here -

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=334267

I was just reading about that the other day

57 minutes ago, thehangman said:

I'd love to see the eastern condors footage,dont think its in any version,unless maybe taiwanese print?

Also lots of Drunken Master 2 was shot and binned what Lau Kar Leung shot before he left,id like to see what was shot.

Supposed to be lots more of The Young Master and Dragon Lord shot aswell.

If EC had extra footage in any Taiwanese prints, they're likely (sadly) lost.

Hm yeah, makes me wonder if any of the unused DM 2 stuff got redone for Drunken Master 3.

Yeah. Mentioned this in another thread recently. Young Master was originally something like three hours, and I think Dragon Lord was four.

There are scenes in Project A that only turn up in (I think) Taiwanese prints. I wonder if there's more.

Philip Kwok was originally the choreographer on Supercop (if I recall correctly). From memory he was also in the footage that he'd shot. Possibly playing a role similar to that of Yuen Wah's in the final film. I remember him saying that he enjoyed what he did with Jackie, because they were both versatile and could do anything. I wonder how much footage they shot, and how much survives.

Three hour cut of Miracles. The list goes on.

Eastern Condors footage was rumored to have been found in Australia about 20 years ago or so, on a VHS tape.

Presumably that turned out to untrue as it never surfaced.

When Hong Kong Legends announced the UK DVD it was said they had the deleted footage. Again, it never appeared.

25 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Eastern Condors footage was rumored to have been found in Australia about 20 years ago or so, on a VHS tape.

Presumably that turned out to untrue as it never surfaced.

When Hong Kong Legends announced the UK DVD it was said they had the deleted footage. Again, it never appeared.

Interesting. I wish I had the info/a lead to follow up on that Australian rumour, late as it may be. Most likely untrue, as you say.

One Armed Boxer

I remember @Mike Leeder mentioning that a lot of footage shot for JCVD's masterpiece (I say this with a complete poker face) 'Knock Off' didn't make it into the final cut, would love to see it.  Somehow the combination of a new-in-Hollywood Tsui Hark, and a high-as-a-kite Van Damme, turned out to be movie magic.

DragonClaws

There used to be some inforamtion on IMDB, regarding Van Damme's Bloodsport(1987) and how it was originally shelved. The film was re-edited before they actually released the film. Love to see the first cut, just to see if it really did deserve being shelved for a bit. Ironic that the film went on to become one of Cannons most popular movies.

Also love to see the original cut of Albert Pyuns Cyborg(1989), heard about a bootleg type release of this some years ago. Woul be great to see an official release of his version of the movie.

Recall reading in Impact magazine, about their being extra fight footage from Nico(1988). Including more weapons useage from Seagal, I know the MPAA made some cuts to this before its theatrical release.

While it would be great to see a full length version of The Big Boss. I'm more curious about what they removed from Enter The Dragon, from the rough cut Lee watched to the theatrical release. Some of the missing scenes have been discussed online over the years. Yet there's never been an exact list of sequences, they decided to leave out. Recall reading that Bob Wall has a longer print of the movie in his possession.

I can't believe that Young master, Dragon lord and Miracles were supposed to last more than 3 hours !! It would have been great to watch the whole versions !!

I have the original cut of Cyborg, bought directly from Albert Pyun himself.

Am embarrassed to admit I've still not got round to watching it, although I understand the differences between his original cut and the one Cannon eventually released are very significant.

deleted scene from legend of a fighter where Leung Kar Yan fights a fencer is in the original trailer at 2.40

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Also love to see the original cut of Albert Pyuns Cyborg(1989), heard about a bootleg type release of this some years ago. Woul be great to see an official release of his version of the movie.

Hey @DragonClaws...good news, this has had an official release, under its original title of 'Slinger', that was put out in Germany -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OFX20BK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489352423&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=slinger+albert+pyun&dpPl=1&dpID=51aZI9T-gCL&ref=plSrch

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU (1978)

Just wanted to share some super rare deleted scenes from Spiritual Kung Fu that I never even knew existed. They're from the Korean version of the movie. These scenes include a romance subplot (!) and additional fight scenes.

10 hours ago, lonesome space said:

Correction: That's not actually Marilyn Bautista in 3:04. She played the whore-with-a-heart-of-gold who allies herself with Cheng (Bruce Lee) midway through the movie. She is also more plump and lighter skinned, whereas the other Thai prostitute (whose actual name is unfortunately unknown) from the actual sex scene you mentioned is more petite and brown-skinned.  

Thanks for the correction, @lonesome space.

7 hours ago, Asmo said:

There are scenes in Project A that only turn up in (I think) Taiwanese prints. I wonder if there's more.

Philip Kwok was originally the choreographer on Supercop (if I recall correctly). From memory he was also in the footage that he'd shot. Possibly playing a role similar to that of Yuen Wah's in the final film. I remember him saying that he enjoyed what he did with Jackie, because they were both versatile and could do anything. I wonder how much footage they shot, and how much survives.

There are probably more deleted scenes from Project A.

https://img3.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2038113500.jpg

I never knew about the missing footage from Supercop. I wouldn't mind if that movie was a lot longer.

40 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I can't believe that Young master, Dragon lord and Miracles were supposed to last more than 3 hours !! It would have been great to watch the whole versions !!

Some footage turned up in a Taiwanese VCD of Young Master, but it's likely that there's a lot more footage that's still missing, including an even longer final fight between Jackie and Hwang In Shik.

As for Dragon Lord, I've heard they filmed in Korea for a month or so that never made it in, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the original cut of Dragon Lord ended up being 3 hours long.

https://img3.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p2284182272.jpg

https://img5.doubanio.com/view/photo/photo/public/p1970038526.jpg

As for Miracles, I personally feel the 2-hour runtime is long enough. I haven't heard about any additional scenes that didin't make it, but I wouldn't be surprsied if there were.

20 minutes ago, rdenn said:

deleted scene from legend of a fighter where Leung Kar Yan fights a fencer is in the original trailer at 2.40

The fencing sword looks pretty hilarious. Wish it was still in the movie.

ShaOW!linDude

Isn't there a deleted/lost scene from Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning where Scott Adkins whacks Andrei Arlovski in the head with an aluminum baseball bat?

I think i remember reading somewhere that jackie tried to fight in a different style in Dragon Lord and it didnt work from what i rememember from an interview with Chan wai man,so he reshot some of it.

Would love to have a look in Jackies vaults see whats in there bet there are loads of stuff we have never seen.

Eneter the dragon wasnt there scenes shot of the invitation to the tournement being delived by woman on motorbikes.

ShaOW!linDude

Were there ever any actual fight scenes films between Lee and Bolo in ETD? I know there were a couple of promo stills.

@KenHashibe (in reference to your points instead of multi-quoting), The Taiwanese cut of Miracles was apparently a little longer. Wouldn't surprise me if the extra scenes were originally in the three hour print (which was probably a work print).

Likewise with Supercop, I'm of the understanding that Philip Kwok was on board in the initial stages so he may have played a character similar to Yuen Wah's role. With that said, if they'd somehow been able to use that footage in the final cut, a longer film certainly wouldn't have hurt.

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Cheers @One Armed Boxer, thought I'd missed the boat with that release.

16 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU (1978)

Just wanted to share some super rare deleted scenes from Spiritual Kung Fu that I never even knew existed. They're from the Korean version of the movie. These scenes include a romance subplot (!) and additional fight scenes.

I noticed that one of the James Tien fights, looks cut in all the prints Ive watched of Spiritual Kung Fu. During the film he challenges various masters. In one of the fights, you can see some lackeys lying on the ground unconsciouse. Yet you never see James Tien or anyone else fight with them. That maybe a sequence that only appears in the Korean cut?.

15 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Were there ever any actual fight scenes films between Lee and Bolo in ETD? I know there were a couple of promo stills.

There was never an actual fight between Bolo's character and Mr Lee. The little dragon had plans to use Bolo in his next movie. Yet there are a few scenes involving Bolo that were cut from the movie.

3 hours ago, thehangman said:

Hasnt Bullet in the head got quiet alot of extra stuff filmed for it aswell

I have heard this rumor,but never seen/read anything solid to back it up.

Cyborg is much cheaper in https://www.amazon.de/Slinger-Albert-Directors-Classic-Blu-ray/dp/B00OFX20BK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1489417679&sr=1-1&keywords=slinger

Eastern condors(as fantastic movie as it is) indeed suffers from those missing scenes. No time was spent in recruiting, "dirty dozen" is in plane on world record time in cinema world.

masterofoneinchpunch
6 hours ago, thehangman said:

Hasnt Bullet in the head got quiet alot of extra stuff filmed for it aswell

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I have heard this rumor,but never seen/read anything solid to back it up.

It did.  This is from John Woo himself (source Kenneth Hall's John Woo The Films -- a book easily worth it if you are a John Woo fan):

We had a premiere at the Convention Center.  At the premiere, the film ran 2 hours and 35 minutes.  You know how the theaters in Hong Kong operate.  If the film's over a certain length, either they throw away some reels in the middle or they speed up the projector [laughs].  So I said,"You have to cut it down."  I mean, the film was opening the next day.

We had no solution, finally some guy from Golden Princess said to cut the final scene.  So we had to cut the prints.

...we had ten editors standing by to cut the prints.  We'd cut one print and the other editors would conform to that print, and so forth, and in the morning three guys would deliver the prints to the theater.

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It did.  This is from John Woo himself (source Kenneth Hall's John Woo The Films -- a book easily worth it if you are a John Woo fan):

Much appreciated @masterofoneinchpunch, guess the cinemas wanted to fit in more screenings per day, for more profit?.

Archived