Atomic Blonde (2017)

Karlos

On 03/12/2017 at 4:37 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Okay, the movie was really fun action-wise. Just some stellar stuntwork and fantastic choreography. Theron is always captivating on screen and McAvoy is solid as always. Some the deadpan delivery of dialogue gets a little trite at times. The plot was serviceable though I pegged aspects of it early. Love the contrast of Theron always dressed in some black & white ensemble against the bleary drabness of Berlin or the color spectrum of certain scenes. As good as this movie was, I don't really see it getting a sequel (doesn't really need one), but this is one I'll be revisiting over and over. Oh, and John Goodman looks like he's shed a few pounds. Good for him.

Hi @ShaOW!linDude, do you feel that the staircase fight scene, deserved all the hype it got? or was it just the Hollywood publicity machine gone mad?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @ShaOW!linDude, do you feel that the staircase fight scene, deserved all the hype it got? or was it just the Hollywood publicity machine gone mad?

Quite deserving. Like @KUNG FU BOB, I was caught up in the action and didn't even realize it was a one-take scene. Only when watching the special features segment on it was that brought to light, and it definitely deepened my appreciate for the effort. If Theron was doubled in any of that, I didn't spot it. And I love the fact that Leitch utilizes Daniel Bernhardt, who he worked with in Bloodsport 2 (I believe it was), and gives him well deserved props. His fight with Theron culminates the end of that whole segment, and it is brutal.

Hollywood could stand doing more stuff like that.

18 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Quite deserving. Like @KUNG FU BOB, I was caught up in the action and didn't even realize it was a one-take scene. Only when watching the special features segment on it was that brought to light, and it definitely deepened my appreciate for the effort. If Theron was doubled in any of that, I didn't spot it. And I love the fact that Leitch utilizes Daniel Bernhardt, who he worked with in Bloodsport 2 (I believe it was), and gives him well deserved props. His fight with Theron culminates the end of that whole segment, and it is brutal.

Thanks for that, the movies just hitting DVD/Blu-Ray shelves here in the U.K. It's not on a movie Im crazy to watch, but its one I'll get round to buying in the near future.

Very much enjoyed this. Setting it in Berlin just before the wall came down added a fascinating backdrop that could've been utilized to a greater extent to create something truly great; now what we get is a cool soundtrack, extremely stylish neon visuals, occasional insightful moments (James McAvoy's brilliant end monologue) and badass action choreography that utilizes no quick cuts and is filmed and edited to perfect clarity. There's a (fake) long shot that initially made me go "not these again" but by the 4th minute I was jumping on my bed from excitement. Theron, not afraid to have her face beaten to pulp, is cool as ice, makes Jason Bourne look like a choir boy in comparison.

(the film ends like 3, 4 times? And each of the endings get progressively worse),

This is true, unfortunately.

(the quote is by Writ, August 6, 2017. The quote function doesn't seem to be working properly for me... )

Archived