I'm wanting to a good introduction to Zatoichi

Guest Shaking Mantis

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One that I often show to friends who aren't familiar with the series is the film Zatoichi: On The Road (#5 of the HVE DVD releases). Can't go wrong with that one!

Guest limubai2000

That is as good as any. I actually watched the new Zatoichi before buying the old ones. I was going to watch them in order but basically it was suggested that I don't have to as they basically are designed to be stand alone movies.

Festival of Fire is highly recommended by alot of people.

Guest Shaking Mantis

cool i just checked my netflix queue and they sent me the one made in 89 and i checked my videohound and found out it was the new one. I'm glad it doesnt matter too much.

Guest kungfusamurai

I actually think the films made during the 60's are the best. The '89 film is okay. The ones done during the 60's are not gory or bloody (there are a few severed limbs in a few of the films), but they are extremely well written, acted and choreographed. Hard to believe they churned out so many quality films in such a short span of time.

KFS

I suggest starting from the beginning, The first movie is a little slow moving, but it’s great character development for the rest of the films.

Thanks for posting that link, limubai--a great resource page. Yep, can't go wrong with starting at the beginning, and as KFS said, they really did maintain an incredibly consistent level of quality while cranking out quite a few movies. The first one was actually the first Zatoichi movie I watched, and I loved it and I remember posting on some forum and asking what the later movies were like. Someone posted and said the rest of the series was just as good if not better----although I was doubtful, after going through the series, I couldn't really argue with that.

Guest rockandrolltroy

Yes, these movies are very episodic. But that's not to say that you shouldn't watch them in order. There are a few re-occuring characters and it makes them deeper to know of their past. It wouldn't kill the experience to watch them out of order at all but prefer to watch in order.

Archived