Bleeding Steel (2017) – Jackie Chan flick

mpm74

Saw it on Sunday. Found it uneven at first, but similar to Railroad Tigers (for me) it finds its feet as the intertwined story arcs begin to unfold. Action was enjoyable, with a few uncharacteristic brutal moments (guess they justified it given the villain's nature). Nice to see Sydney used in a JC film.

A lot of the Australian actors seemed to be portraying exaggerated characters. Also some of the casting is a little unrealistic given details of the plot that are revealed in the latter half of the film.

Enjoyable if flawed. Happy to elaborate on anything I've posted. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Asmo said:

Saw it on Sunday. Found it uneven at first, but similar to Railroad Tigers (for me) it finds its feet as the intertwined story arcs begin to unfold. Action was enjoyable, with a few uncharacteristic brutal moments (guess they justified it given the villain's nature). Nice to see Sydney used in a JC film.

Of Chans three movies filmed down under, First Strike,Mr Nice Guy,Bleeding Steel, how would you rank them?.

One Armed Boxer
On 03/01/2018 at 4:17 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Anyone here actually had the chance to view it yet?

Yes...let's just say my first bullet of 2018 has been taken. Thankfully it wasn't fatal. I gave it the full review treatment here -

http://cityonfire.com/bleeding-steel-2017-review-jackie-chan-new-movie-sci-fi/

On 09/01/2018 at 8:15 PM, DragonClaws said:

Of Chans three movies filmed down under, First Strike,Mr Nice Guy,Bleeding Steel, how would you rank them?.

1. Mr. Nice Guy

2. First Strike

3. Bleeding Steel

• Like 3

Any word on a UK blu ray release date?

They make it look quite exciting from that trailer haha. This is supposed to be worse than Kung Fu Yoga though right 😛

Edited by Ramji

49 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Lionsgate picked it up

Now the question is will they give us a DVD only release or a Blu-ray/DVD release.

DragonClaws
47 minutes ago, Ramji said:

Any word on a UK blu ray release date?

Hope we get The Foriegner on DVD/BR before this gets a release here, not thats likey to happen.

Drunken Monk

Even though this got universally pooped on, I think I'll still pick it up. I, for one, didn't hate "Kung Fu Yoga" as much as most so I imagine I'll get some pleasure out of this.

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hope we get The Foriegner on DVD/BR before this gets a release here, not thats likey to happen.

That's true, hope it's not been resigned to confinement on Netflix for the rest of its days. I'd also like to see a version with the extended fight in the woods released over here, probs too much to ask right?

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Even though this got universally pooped on, I think I'll still pick it up. I, for one, didn't hate "Kung Fu Yoga" as much as most so I imagine I'll get some pleasure out of this.

It had some fun moments didn't it. I enjoyed some of the action, better than Skiptrace that's for sure!

• Like 1

I rented it on Sunday and the story was too much for me in a way. After seeing him in The Mermaid, I had a hunch that Show Lo is trying too hard to be the next Stephen Chow in terms of his acting. He was trying some of those Chow-like dialogue and facial expressions here. On the upside, I did like Callan Mulvey as the villain. Having seen him in both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Batman v. Superman, then this as the main villain, I would like to see him do more main villain roles. I gave the film a C+ Kudos goes to whoever doubled Erika Xia-Hou with her kicking skills (was it Brahim Achabbakhe as some of those kicks look like his style)

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Bleeding Steel (2017: Leo Zhang: China/Hong Kong): so now I have seen 97 films with Jackie Chan in it.  The later Chan films (post 2000) have been increasingly miss and this one was just awful.  It is not as tedious as 1911, but when it makes you think maybe Dragon Blade was not as bad you know you have an awful movie.

This is a combination of sci-fi, camp and bad acting.  It is bloomin cheeky in the worst way and goes from bad to incompetent rather quickly.  It has bad action, bad special effects, terrible antagonists, cheesy, Jackie outruns bullets (well that goes in bad action), it ignores plot points (or barely goes over them) and feels like an incomplete script finished by an inebriated director.  Worst slow motion I have seen in quite a while.

Lin Dong’s (Jackie Chan) daughter is sick and dying.  Dong races to see her only to be pulled back – well to potentially save the world (so far nothing wrong – well the annoyance of pathos and coincidence).  It just so happens that a bad guy that looks like he came from Dark City with his John Wick 3 like cronies (bullets don’t bother their armor) and they want a scientist.  Why, because he is a MacGuffin, well what he created is which he implanted in Jackie Chan’s apparently not dead daughter whom he later follows (in one of the most embarrassing flashbacks she finally recognizes that the same guy who has been watching her for years – well is the same person and is most likely her father).  Also, JC is part of an elite squad bent on protecting the planet – at least in Australia.

There are so many plot issues that this film is embarrassing.  Still love that it is noticeable when the female actresses are replaced by male stuntman (not unknown in JC films) or Red Sonja.

Whenever I watch a Jackie Chan film like this, I wonder why do I keep watching his movies.  It is like when a band you previously liked keeps putting out music that you listen to only because of the past hits.  Did this go to the theater?  Did I actually buy a copy of this?  Am I going to watch Skiptrace? Well yes I am.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

so now I have seen 97 films with Jackie Chan in it.  The later Chan films (post 2000) have been increasingly miss and this one was just awful.  It is not as tedious as 1911, but when it makes you think maybe Dragon Blade was not as bad you know you have an awful movie.

Point 1: I haven't seen a Jackie Chan movie made since Dragon Blade. I'm not sure which of them got legitimate releases here, save Skiptrace and Vanguard. Maybe The Foreigner got one.

Point 2: I saw the number of JC films you've seen and got curious. Making my own list (and including his bit parts in the early 70s and voice roles)...my number comes out to...85.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
18 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Point 1: I haven't seen a Jackie Chan movie made since Dragon Blade. I'm not sure which of them got legitimate releases here, save Skiptrace and Vanguard. Maybe The Foreigner got one.

Point 2: I saw the number of JC films you've seen and got curious. Making my own list (and including his bit parts in the early 70s and voice roles)...my number comes out to...85.

I did see The Foreigner in the theater.  I have not seen Skiptrace nor Vanguard, but City On Fire has goaded me to see Skiptrace sooner than later.  If it is good I applaud COF if bad well hee hee.  Really his later output so far that I've seen is not good.

JC is in so many things. One of my quick year goals is to make sure I go over 100 JC watched.  I will probably do that sooner than later.

And I don't think I talked you into this one.  I forgot to mention there is one OK fight scene and that involves: BleedingSteelAustraliaOpera.jpg.1a7e49d2a48700561c2f157be405c085.jpg

But this movie was so incredibly well incompetent.  It makes bad films seem well better.

• Like 1

@masterofoneinchpunch I'd definitely skip Vanguard but if memory serves right I rather enjoyed Skiptrace. Probably because it's almost a copy of Rush Hour only this time around Johnny Knoxville is there. Again can't remember much but that might very well be the reason.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
9 minutes ago, laagi said:

@masterofoneinchpunch I'd definitely skip Vanguard but if memory serves right I rather enjoyed Skiptrace. Probably because it's almost a copy of Rush Hour only this time around Johnny Knoxville is there. Again can't remember much but that might very well be the reason.

So two semi-pluses;  I will watch this sooner than later than I'll have a tweet thread and small essay here.

• Like 1

Honestly, I kind of wish Jackie Chan would just retire already. Or at least be a little more picky about the roles he takes. I haven't been excited for one of his movies since, Jesus, I think it was Rush Hour 3(And while not bad, it was kind of meh). He has lost most of his good will at this point(At least with me) and he might be damaging his legacy. 

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
On 1/24/2023 at 2:53 AM, DrNgor said:

I haven't seen a Jackie Chan movie since Shaolin! And he was barely in that one!

• Like 1