Shin Karate Baka Ichidai 1 & 2 DVDs

Guest Norimasu

Guest Norimasu

Hi, Does anyone have any information on "Shin Karate Baka Ichidai" and "Shin Karate Baka Ichidai 2"? These movies were made in 2003 and I heard they are available in Japan on Region 2 format. They star Japanese Pro-Wrestler Masakatsu Funaki and Nobuaki Kakuta, a famous SEIDOKAIKAN Karate fighter in Japan. I heard these are two great action packed films adapted from the old Mas Oyama manga "Karate Baka Ichidai" Any info on how to obtain copies is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frank Lakatos

If you have $479.80, Play Asia has parts 1 and 2:

www.play-asia.com/paOS-13...0-wek.html

Unless there are super rich fans with blood money to throw away, these DVD's will never sell. $479.80 is an outrageously disgusting price for 2 DVD's. These pricey Japanese distributors are not helping the bootlegging problem.

Frank

Guest Norimasu

Thanks for the information. Do you they they will be bootlegged and show up on EBAY or somewhere? Is there anywhere in Japan where I can purchase these dvds reasonably? Any additional information is appreciated.

Guest KClosson

Something does not sound quite right here. The link above is to a two set 1973 animated series that looks like it is a total of 12 dvd's. That would explain why the price is so high.

I know the two dvd's you are talking about, but the strange thing is they are not on the main Japan dvd distributor sites. Just so you can see they do exist you can look at these two sites:

sazuma.com/asearch.php3?a_id=12821

The Jungle shop has them listed if you type in the title to their dvd search list:

jungle-scs.co.jp/cgi-bin/cart_e.cgi

That is the best I can do from a simple search. Keep in mind they are not subtitled.

KC

Guest Norimasu

Thanks for the information. I, too, was surprised that these films were not more readily available through Japanese distributors. It's really hard to track these two down. Does anyone know the storylines or any reviews of these films? Just curious.

I bought them for $20.00 each at Book-Off when I lived in New York.

The movies revolve around karate expert Shogo Ariake, played by Masaru Nagai (Mirai Sentai Timeranger). In the first film, he enters a deadly karate tournament where the competitors fight to the death. In the finale, he faces Pancrase pioneer Masakatsu Funaki.

The second film has Shogo having to rescue his best friend, played by Shiinamao, after he gets into some trouble with the Yakuza. Meanwhile, he meets a friend of his late father, who has a friendly spar with him (Karate vs. Judo). In the finale, Shogo takes on the big Yakuza enforcer, played by pro wrestling legend Keiji "The Great Muta/Shining Wizard" Muto.

Sadly, I don't have these anymore, but they were quite fun to watch and I enjoyed Nagai's performance. He had that teen idol look, but he was in fact a 2nd-dan in Karate so he did have the martial arts skills to match.

Archived