Sleeping Dogs (2018) – Donnie Yen

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

And it's starring Donnie Yen? Wasn't that game inspired by SPL and Flashpoint and several other Donnie films of the past decade? 

I really don't see the point in this.

Also how many people outside of hardcore gamers have even heard of this game? It's not like it has the name recognition of a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. 

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 1

Considering Donnie Yen’s (Flash PointKung Fu Jungle) involvement in two high-profile Hollywood projects (xXx: Return of Xander Cage, Star Wars: Rogue One), it was inevitable that he would sooner, rather than later, headline his own Hollywood film.

News outlets are reporting that the Hong Kong megastar will be starring in a film adaptation of Square Enix’s hit video game Sleeping Dogs, which is being produced by Neal Moritz (Fast and Furious franchise).

According to Deadline: Sleeping Dogs follows an undercover police officer (Yen) on a mission to take down one of the most powerful and dangerous criminal organizations in the world: the notorious Triads. The movie based on an action video game is set in Hong Kong and focuses on martial arts fighting, racing, boat chases… and shooting while doing all of that.

Sleeping Dogs is a lot more synonymous with Yen’s Hong Kong-style of filming than what’s described in its plot. Asian film expert/producer Mike Leeder (Pound of FleshTracer) was responsible for voice casting Sleeping Dogs when the game was known as its preliminary title True Crime: Hong Kong. Leeder also produced/coordinated the game’s trailer with late actor/martial artist Darren Shahlavi (Kickboxer: VengeanceIp Man 2), who choreographed the action.

We’re hoping the film doesn’t become vaporware (i.e. Noodle Man), but considering Yen’s current state of global popularity – as well as a solid video game source – Sleeping Dogs is most likely a top priority for producers.

Until then, Donnie Yen’s Hong Kong latest actioner, Chasing the Dragon, will be released later this year by Well Go USA.

http://cityonfire.com/donnie-yen-to-battle-triads-in-sleeping-dogs-film-adaptation/

I was hoping for Noodle Man (was destined to be Donnie's Mr. Nice Guy!)... 

But in regards to your post, originality has been non-existent for years and years now (just ask Sergio Leone when he decided to bite off Akira Kurosawa). 

What worries me about Sleeping Dogs is it's being fronted by the Fast 'n Furious guys. Well, we'll see what happens. Might be good. 

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 3

Iron_Leopard

I love the game. Beat it several times but what can this bring to the table that Flashpoint and Kung Fu Jungle hasn't already done?

• Like 1

There have been short film live action adaptations.

This one has Die Fighting's Xin Sarith Wuku as Wei Shen

Is this the trailer Mike Leeder helped make? It looks authentic.

• Like 3

If it takes a xXx sequel (which I actually enjoyed alot contrary to my harsh prediction) or a live-action adaptation for Donnie to continue doing moderns, then why not? I'm in.

I wonder who's directing though? I hope they get a good one for this.

On 03/03/2017 at 6:37 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

what can this bring to the table that Flashpoint and Kung Fu Jungle hasn't already done?

If Donnie says he will take his action choreography to another level then I believe him. SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate, Flash Point, Ip Man trilogy, Legend of the Fist, The Lost Bladesman, Wu Xia, Special ID, Kung Fu Jungle, Rogue One, xXx... He delivered with all those.

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
On 03/03/2017 at 1:33 PM, AlbertV said:

There have been short film live action adaptations.

This one has Die Fighting's Xin Sarith Wuku as Wei Shen

Is this the trailer Mike Leeder helped make? It looks authentic.

i enjoyed those two clips!! 

Love the game, love Donnie! But isn't it time already we get some new blood in this genre? How about giving a newcomer a shot for the leading-role? I wouldn't mind Donnie in a supporting role or/and behind the camera, responsible for the on screen action. Also (no offense) but Wei Shen the main protagonist is supposedly 28.

Not saying I'm not excited for this but still I'm getting tired of seeing the same handful of actors in leading roles. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, laagi said:

Love the game, love Donnie! But isn't it time already we get some new blood in this genre? How about giving a newcomer a shot for the leading-role? I wouldn't mind Donnie in a supporting role or/and behind the camera, responsible for the on screen action. Also (no offense) but Wei Shen the main protagonist is supposedly 28.

Not saying I'm not excited for this but still I'm getting tired of seeing the same handful of actors in leading roles. 

And this is why the kung fu genre is dying. They keep passing the ball to Michael Jordan. An old Jordan.  Instead of letting a talented rookie play the game.

Why do they refuse to develop new stars?

• Like 1

I've said this already in another thread but China has plenty of young MA talents. Problem is that they are inexperienced in acting so it will take time before they reach that level that the veterans are in. However, they are slowly progressing getting more work. Time is the key word here. Realistically, you can't just pass on the torch to any young MA talent. That talent has got to have training, knowledge and other necessary tools to be shaped into a star.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Per the interview on the Enter the Fat Dragon thread, Yen had this say about Sleeping Dogs, which confirms that Yen will not only star, but serve as a producer.

In the adaptation of the video game Sleeping Dogs, which is currently in the scriptwriting stage, he will once again traverse a milieu populated by gangsters and undercover police.

“But that world is a bit more nihilistic,” Yen says, downplaying any real-life connection to the story of Sleeping Dogs. “After all, films are entertainment [instead of factual accounts]. Even the most successful gangster films in the US, like Godfather and Goodfellas, are inspired [by real events and not based on them]. If you want the truth, you should make a documentary instead.”

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, DiP said:

Don confirmed today that it's being made. It will most likely be his next movie after completing Enter the Fat Dragon.

Man, he keeps cranking out these movies, when all his fans have ever wanted is 'Ice Man 2'.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DiP said:

Don confirmed today that it's being made. It will most likely be his next movie after completing Enter the Fat Dragon.

I wonder if they've moved Ip Man 4 back for this?, as this was planned to start shooting March.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Man, he keeps cranking out these movies, when all his fans have ever wanted is 'Ice Man 2'.

It's slated for a 2018 release according to Mtime. Question is: When?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
1 minute ago, DiP said:

It's slated for a 2018 release according to Mtime. Question is: When?

It was also slated for a release in 2015, 2016, & 2017. 'Ice Man 2' is to Donnie Yen what 'Full Love' is to Van Damme..

• Like 3

Since he mentioned it in that IG post above last year, I guess the movie is still undergoing pre-production work. But something tells me that the project, along with several other Hollywood offers, has since then been left hanging loose with him no longer attached.

As of now, Raging Fire is in post-production and he has been shooting New Kung Fu Cult Master (shooting is currently post-poned) and set to star in the mountain-rescue drama Polar Rescue which will start principal photography in November.

• Like 5

Good news! Now just need to have a release date for Raging Fire and confirmation on what is happening with Crossfire!

• Like 2