Does anyone here think they could..

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Have wrote a good Shaw Brothers movie back in the day? Sometimes I think of how fun it would be to try to come up with a script for a Shaw a Brothers movie. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

Do you mean like a Ku Long or Ni Kuang story?  That would be fun. I do wonder if I was writing a script or a MA story how much Shaw Brothers would infiltrate my writing. For example the worlds of Chor Yuen: I like usually specific scenes more than the whole of his film, but I certainly would love to certain characteristics of his wuxias.  I certainly would have the heroic bloodshed/honor/homoerotic male bonding of Chang Cheh's heroes (being influenced by Jean-Pierre Melville also would help with this as well as Johnnie To and John Woo).  Mix in what I've seen of Sun Chung, Kuei Chih-Hung etc... I'm sure there would be a hundred other subconscious written aspects as well.

Quentin Tarantino has his influences from the Shaw's.  Of course he mixes it with a bunch of other influences, especially grindhouse. I do wonder if he could come up with a specifically Shaw Brothers influenced script. 

Chemical Lemon

Because of some SB directors use of the same teams of actors, sets, and costume styles in many of their movies (in particular Chang Cheh and Chu Yuan), I often wonder whether it would be possible to piece together your own SB movies that are pretty faithful to the SB formula.  That the same voice actors are used across an even wider number of movies gives you an even greater ability to take charge of the narrative since there's no requirement to match the dialogue to the characters mouth movements.  Just a requirement that the same voice actor be used for that actor.  Or for that matter, just building your own english dub for a movie that doesn't have one.

Omni Dragon

Don't most people daydream now and again about concepts that could maybe make interesting stories that could be expressed in the forms of a movie, a book, TV series, video game etc? 

As for could I have wrote a good movie? (Well this forum is almost a testament to the fact I'm not a great writer). Maybe eventually if I where to put concepts/ideas into some sort of manageable order I might have something acceptable for a movie.  

This might be a bit off topic but, I think the nearest I actually got to this was when I started working on something that was going to be like a comic book/graphic novel (it was purely for myself) though deep down I would have love to have made it as a TV series. My idea was going to be about the life of a kung fu hero living in the Qing dynasty. Yes he would have been something of a Ming rebel though he was an orphan and it was going to turn out he had Manchurian blood, as his father and/or grandfather was going to be a state official. 
Basically the story was going to be about the progression of the hero's character and kung fu, as, while ageing, he learns various styles from various masters and roams China. Also I assume he would need to learn certain styles to overcome certain opponents. 

As for his character he'd start off as something of an arrogant and troublesome youth (something like Fu Sheng as Fang Shih Yu in Chang Cheh's Shaolin Temple series/cycle or Jackie Chan in Drunken Master). Later he'd become more serious with a high sense of honour and morality (maybe like how Hung Sze Kuan was portrayed in CC's Shaolin Temple series or a bit like Kwan Tak Hing's, Wong Fei Hung). 

Talking Wong Fei Hung, I was thinking the name of the hero could be Wong Jun (Huang Zhen). Wong to represent his honourable nature (like Fei Hung) and Zhen to be like Bruce Lee's character in Fist of Fury, full of fight. 

Platinum Dragon was going to be the grandfathers name with henchmen called the Silver and Gold Dragons (named after Silver and Gold Tigers from Kung Fu of 8 Drunkards). Also the hero was going to train with characters like Sam Seed / Beggar So from Drunken Master though my concept drawings where more based on Sun Jung Chi in Monkey Fist, Floating Snake. 

I think the final battle was going to be Huang Zhen vs Platinum Dragon and they both end up killing each other (a bit like the end of a Chang Cheh movie) and I had the idea of the last image being to strands of hair forming a double helix to symbolise their DNA was related. You'd able to tell who's hair was who's since, Platinum, would  been a white or maybe platinum haired master. 

Yeah, it would have been full of clichés, but aren't a lot of Shaw's and movies in general? 
And clichés were almost the point as it was to be a tribute to 70s kung fu films. 

Iron_Leopard
3 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Don't most people daydream now and again about concepts that could maybe make interesting stories that could be expressed in the forms of a movie, a book, TV series, video game etc? 

As for could I have wrote a good movie? (Well this forum is almost a testament to the fact I'm not a great writer). Maybe eventually if I where to put concepts/ideas into some sort of manageable order I might have something acceptable for a movie.  

This might be a bit off topic but, I think the nearest I actually got to this was when I started working on something that was going to be like a comic book/graphic novel (it was purely for myself) though deep down I would have love to have made it as a TV series. My idea was going to be about the life of a kung fu hero living in the Qing dynasty. Yes he would have been something of a Ming rebel though he was an orphan and it was going to turn out he had Manchurian blood, as his father and/or grandfather was going to be a state official. 
Basically the story was going to be about the progression of the hero's character and kung fu, as, while ageing, he learns various styles from various masters and roams China. Also I assume he would need to learn certain styles to overcome certain opponents. 

As for his character he'd start off as something of an arrogant and troublesome youth (something like Fu Sheng as Fang Shih Yu in Chang Cheh's Shaolin Temple series/cycle or Jackie Chan in Drunken Master). Later he'd become more serious with a high sense of honour and morality (maybe like how Hung Sze Kuan was portrayed in CC's Shaolin Temple series or a bit like Kwan Tak Hing's, Wong Fei Hung). 

Talking Wong Fei Hung, I was thinking the name of the hero could be Wong Jun (Huang Zhen). Wong to represent his honourable nature (like Fei Hung) and Zhen to be like Bruce Lee's character in Fist of Fury, full of fight. 

Platinum Dragon was going to be the grandfathers name with henchmen called the Silver and Gold Dragons (named after Silver and Gold Tigers from Kung Fu of 8 Drunkards). Also the hero was going to train with characters like Sam Seed / Beggar So from Drunken Master though my concept drawings where more based on Sun Jung Chi in Monkey Fist, Floating Snake. 

I think the final battle was going to be Huang Zhen vs Platinum Dragon and they both end up killing each other (a bit like the end of a Chang Cheh movie) and I had the idea of the last image being to strands of hair forming a double helix to symbolise their DNA was related. You'd able to tell who's hair was who's since, Platinum, would  been a white or maybe platinum haired master. 

Yeah, it would have been full of clichés, but aren't a lot of Shaw's and movies in general? 
And clichés were almost the point as it was to be a tribute to 70s kung fu films. 

If and when I get rich I'm funding this project.

On 05/03/2017 at 9:59 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I can see the scenes just by reading your synopsis  !!

You should at least do the comic book and show it to us !!:smile

I'm writing stories and I must confess that not only Shaw Brothers' movies are influencing my ideas, but also all the old kung fu movies I watched until now !

And I'm also influenced by authors such as Alexandre Dumas, Paul Féval and Michel Zévaco, who wrote " French wu xia pian ", if it can be called by this name...In French, we call this genre " romans de cape et d'épée " and in these writers' books, there are as lots of twists, betrayers, villains, pure heroines and loyal heroes as in the Shaws' movies for sure !

Tex Killer

No way!Never. Could maybe fix some storylines but sort of lacking imagination. If I would write script it would be another revenge tale done 1000 times before and likely almost all better...

On 3/5/2017 at 8:59 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I unintentionally made this too similar to Star Wars. If I were to do it for real I'd probably change it so Huang Zhen was not so similar to Luke Skywalker.

Before seeing The Boxer from Shantung as well as Man of Iron last year (and after forgetting the plot of Chinatown Kid) I thought a rise and fall gangster story would be interesting mixed with kung fu. I imagined it set in the Qing dynasty with a Ming peasant who climbs the social ladder by becoming a swindler or becoming a big time gangster. This also made me think a movie covering the story of the triad involvement in the HK film industry could have potential.

Around June I thought about a Romeo and Juliet style love story but mixed with a Duel to the Death style duel. It would be about a man and a woman who feel obligated to fight in a duel to the death for their family and/or clan but fall in love before the inevitable. Maybe their clans have a traditional duel every generation over territory or something like that. It would be similar to the way in other movies two fighters become friends despite knowing they'll probably end up fighting to the death, except it will take the form of a romance/courtship. Perhaps they could be testing each others martial art skills by dancing together before the duel. With the dance and duel connected by similar movement. Perhaps with surreal flashback like imagery that mixes the dance and fight together. I imagine waltz like music would be fitting. Without trying to sound terribly crude, I also imagine blood could be used to symbolically represent other bodily fluids.

Archived