Bruce Lee DVD releases from HK Legends

De Ming Li

Just wondering, does the four films contained in the Bruce Lee 30th anniversary DVD box set from Hong Kong Legends have the exact same content as their individual version releases? I noticed that THE BIG BOSS and WAY OF THE DRAGON were two disc special editions for the individual release but were one disc on the 30th anniversary set while GAME OF DEATH was 2 disc in the box set. Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Just wondering, does the four films contained in the Bruce Lee 30th anniversary DVD box set from Hong Kong Legends have the exact same content as their individual version releases? I noticed that THE BIG BOSS and WAY OF THE DRAGON were two disc special editions for the individual release but were one disc on the 30th anniversary set while GAME OF DEATH was 2 disc in the box set. Thanks

They hadn't released the TWO-DISC SE of WOTD at the time of the 30th anniversarys release. With the exception of Game Of Death, the other films were later re-issued with more extras. The box set is basically contains all the origianl release by HKL, but not the re-issues.

I noticed that for the Big Boss, the 30th anniversary disc has Bey Logan doing the commentary but for the later two disc re-issue the commentary is by two different guys. For anybody who has watched both, which commentary is better? I assume Logan is but don't want to pass judgement so easily without hearing other opinions.

3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

I noticed that for the Big Boss, the 30th anniversary disc has Bey Logan doing the commentary but for the later two disc re-issue the commentary is by two different guys. For anybody who has watched both, which commentary is better? I assume Logan is but don't want to pass judgement so easily without hearing other opinions.

The other two guys are Will Johnston and Andrew Staton, former creators of the Bruce & Brandon Lee Association(Now defunct). The pair also produced the documentary Bruce Lee Martial Arts Master(1993). They tried to get some of the famous HKTVB footage for that doc, but they simply couldn't afford the high prices. They have been involved in the Bruce Lee scene in the U.K for many years now. They've met and talked to many people associated and connected to the little dragon. Staton still writes a lot for Martial Arts Illustrated. Both guys know a lot about Bruce Lee, but I've never listened to their commentary on the re-issue of The Big Boss.

Archived