I just ordered "The Jade Tiger" dvd (Update:Spoilers)

Iron_Leopard

Never seen this movie so I decided to watch it on youtube. Found a watchable version and got 20 minuets into it and stopped it, went online and bought the dvd. I loved what I saw so far that I wanted to wait and see this whole film for the first time on a good quality version. I just hope the rest of the movie is as intriguing as the first 20 or so minuets.

Any thoughts on "The Jade Tiger"? With out spoilers of course :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tied for my favorite Chor Yuen movie with Killer Clans.

Great cast, and stand out performances from Derek Yee and Lo Lieh. The whole cast does a grear job, but I remember others characters were very typical for them and didn't give as much room to play. Some nice swordplay as well, which many other Chor Yuen flicks could lack. I will say I didn't enjoy this movie at all when I first watched it, but loved it when I tried it again after seeing more of the directors work. Following the plots in these movies requires some experience in knowing which plot points and characters to actually emphasize and keep up with.. ?

Hope you picked up the Well Go (Sword Masters) release. Directed by Chu Yuan (Chor Yuen). It`s been a while since I have seen it but I like it and it is in my collection. Chu Yuan`s movies move at a pretty fast pace and introduce a lot of characters. Sometimes, hard to watch. But, that is his style. I am a fan. Decent transfer but it certainly needs a blu-ray release. 

And, it features Ti Lung. Ti Lung and Chor Yuen together is like De Niro and Scorsese together. They bring out the best in one another. ha

theThirdMaster

I remember enjoying it, but not many details.  

I feel like Chor Yuen has two sides.  The Killer Clans angle with a confusing plot and backstabbing ninjas jumping out of secret compartments OR the more introspective style ala The Sentimental Swordsman.  I tend to prefer the later.  His work is also wildly inconsistent in quality from title to title.  Aside from Killer Clans, which is a standout in the 'confusing plot and backstabbing ninjas jumping out of secret compartments' sub-genre, I tend to prefer his more introspective movies.  Death Duel is a personal favorite, it's one of my favorite Shaws.  Intimate Confessions is another (although that doesn't fit squarely into a category).

All that text, and all I really remember is Jade Tiger being more in line with Killer Clans.  Lots of twists and turns and you're still having fun.  It's a good movie.  Once you start getting down to Legend of the Bat and Duel of the Century things get a little more hairy.  

And the pace that some of these directors were turning out movies was insane! It is not hard to imagine why quality would be inconsistent. A lot of those directors were making more than one film at a time. Chu Yuan had made something like 47 movies between 1971 to 1985 (at least according to Celestial`s web site). Look how many movies Tarantino has put out in the last 14 years. :smile Chang Cheh had even more releases in that same time frame as Chu Yuan. The Shaws worked those guys to death. Surprised that they were able to deliver the quality they did. It would be amazing to see how much better their films could have been if they would not have been rushed so much. I think, only Lau Kar-leung got off a little easier by only having roughly made 18 movies within a 10 year span with the Shaws. But, he was also the director, fight choreographer/co-choreographer and actor. 

I watched Jade Tiger around 10 years ago and I remember to have enjoyed it a lot, though I don't clearly remember the plot(which means that I need a re-watch !!! :bs_coveredlaugh:).

There are a lot of twists in the plot and I don't think that you'll be disappointed with this movie...

I don't think I will ever tire of visiting Chu Yuan's Wuxia world. Whereas Chang Cheh presents Wuxia with a strongly masculine (Yang) emphasis and a grounded reality, Chu Yuan imagines the genre from a more feminine (Yin) perspective set in a world approaching fantasy.

Death Duel, The Jade Tiger, and Heroes Shed No Tears  are personal favourites from the directors filmography. Each I found to be a highly entertaining combination of action and drama, yet also a thought provoking analysis of the human condition inherent to the genre. Chu Yuan presents Wuxia almost as a paradox. On the surface gallant heroes and beautiful ladies in finery move through lavish sets and atmospheric fogs, almost a utopia. But this beauty is a thin veneer. Underneath exists the same darkness present in Chang Cheh's films. Characters are not who they first appear, motives are duplicitous, alliances transient, and evil abounds.

Yes, the plots of these films are complex, the characters numerous. A consequence of the novels from which they were adapted. This may not appeal to everyone, but I find such films worthy of repeated viewing. Not just to better understand the plot, but also for the sheer visual pleasure of the high production values employed by the director. Further, the director places much emphasis on the psychology of the Wuxia lifestyle, the emotional toll on both the main protagonists and the innocent caught in the crossfire.

I actually re-watched The Jade Tiger after reading your post @Iron_Leopard. I think this is a very good example of the directors work. 

Iron_Leopard

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Another knock out for Chor Yuen. "The Jade Tiger" did not disappoint and was definitely worth the blind (somewhat) purchase. Yet another magical world delivered through great sets, costumes, mythology, and swordplay. I've always been more of a kung fu guy but Yuen films have me slightly preferring the sword these days. 

A few questions though. Did the zombie know that his two pupils were Tangs? Also do you think the jealousy and rage of Wujis wife and sister was warranted or realistic? I maybe wrong but I thought he mentioned to his wife he was going undercover to get revenge on the Tangs. I'd like to think the girls would be smart enough to know the marriage is just a ploy. I feel like this plot was forced for drama but at the same time I have to admit it worked. That whole scene at the wedding had me on the edge of my seat. It was good stuff.

And man oh man the martial world must really be serious business if one would decapitate himself just to have his clan get the upper hand on a rival. 

So far my list looks like this.

1. The Magic Blade

2. The Sentimental Swordsman

3. The Jade Tiger

4. Pursuit of Vengeance 

That's what I've seen so far. For my next Chor Yuen viewing  I'm thinking "Killer Clans"?

7 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

For my next Chor Yuen viewing  I'm thinking "Killer Clans"?

That`s pretty solid flick, I think you will enjoy it. I liked in "jade tiger" specially very end when all was over and Ti Lung was wondering was it worth it...

I haven`t watched "pursuit of vengeance" yet but as did read other post said it`s sequel for "magic blade", tempted to unseal it in few days...

Archived