Jim DRAGON Kelly - Ric Meyer's Interview

DragonClaws

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around the 37:15 mark, Jim Kelly starts talking about an "unnamed" actor/martial artist who he almost came to blows with on the set of Tattoo Connection...is he referring to Bobby Canavarro?

4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Around the 37:15 mark, Jim Kelly starts talking about an "unnamed" actor/martial artist who he almost came to blows with on the set of Tattoo Connection...is he referring to Bobby Canavarro?

No he's referring to Tan Tao Liang. Kelly didn't want to use control with his techniques in the fight scenes and it pissed him off. That's why the planned sequel to Tattoo Connection never happened and he was pretty much blacklisted from HK movies because of the bad reputation after that.

2 hours ago, CT KID said:

No he's referring to Tan Tao Liang. Kelly didn't want to use control with his techniques in the fight scenes and it pissed him off. That's why the planned sequel to Tattoo Connection never happened and he was pretty much blacklisted from HK movies because of the bad reputation after that.

Thanks for the explanation. That doesn't put Dorian Tan in a good light at all. I always had it backwards since I thought it was Jim Kelly that could dish it out but couldn't take it when he went full out but didn't like it back at him. This led him to getting into an argument with the action choreographer, Bruce Leung. I can't recall where I first heard that but the source might've been Toby Russell but not 100% sure.

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Thanks for the explanation. That doesn't put Dorian Tan in a good light at all. I always had it backwards since I thought it was Jim Kelly that could dish it out but couldn't take it when he went full out but didn't like it back at him. This led him to getting into an argument with the action choreographer, Bruce Leung. I can't recall where I first heard that but the source might've been Toby Russell but not 100% sure.

No you didn't have it backwards you are exactly right! You must have misunderstood me lol. When I said Kelly didn't use control I meant he actually hit Tan in the fight scenes and Tan got mad and started hitting him back. I think the crew broke them up from having an all out fight. After that it was Kelly that was blacklisted from HK movies. You can read about in the review for the film over at the cityonfire film site.

1 hour ago, CT KID said:

No you didn't have it backwards you are exactly right! You must have misunderstood me lol. When I said Kelly didn't use control I meant he actually hit Tan in the fight scenes and Tan got mad and started hitting him back. I think the crew broke them up from having an all out fight. After that it was Kelly that was blacklisted from HK movies. You can read about in the review for the film over at the cityonfire film site.

Thanks for the clarification. Very interesting. No wonder he was blacklisted. I will google the review and read up on it.

The two movies Jim Kelly made with Al Adamson, Black Samurai & Death Dimension are getting a remastered blu ray release. Unfortunately they are part of a mammoth and very expensive 30 film Al Adamson box set so i will have to hope they are eventually released as a double feature (they are together on disc 12 of this set)

Archived