This is My Asso Asia KUNGFUADDICTION

ThunderScore

This is the edited version for Twitter - I added a credit for poor Jack Lam - The English dubbed version of SECRET NINJA available on video (and YouTube) appears to have a scene edited (by about a minute and a half) for content. When it was released theatrically by Almi, it was intact. The running time for the complete English version is just over 85 minutes. Most sources list it at around 79 minutes, but looking at both versions, 85 minutes is about right...

1179767473_SNRTposter.jpeg.80dda616035b0ff965503b5a3732f635.jpeg 

• Like 3

Used to watch these all the time in the 80s, and now with Tubi, watching them again.  Plus talking to Bobby Kim has re-ignited my interest in them.  Great thread.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

RAIDERS OF BUDDHIST KUNG FU Trailer

Seems like this was supposed to be an Asso Asia Release (at least the poster says so), but the trailer as well as the film only credit IFD -

209601404_RaidersofBuddhistKungFuposter.jpg.fb9f395f71afc16fe3737a88812a4552.jpg

Edited by ThunderScore
  • Like 2

THE SHAOLIN DRUNK(EN) MONKEY

Trailer Re-Creation:

It became apparent that when these films get released in various markets that sometimes an editorial choice is made to change a scene from daytime to day for night. Perhaps when projected on a screen it's watchable, but when transferred to video, it's mostly UN-watchable. I tried to fix it.  Also, this is another title that was supposed to be released by Asso Asia, but IFD ended up distributing it...

1024254701_shaolindrunkmonkey.jpg.8c37aa9ce3227eb0a884f46c051da56c.jpg

Edited by ThunderScore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ThunderScore said:

It became apparent that when these films get released in various markets that sometimes an editorial choice is made to change a scene from daytime to day for night. Perhaps when projected on a screen it's watchable, but when transferred to video, it's mostly UN-watchable.

I was looking over my DVD of Magnificent Natural Fist just the other day and it suffers from this exact problem. There's a couple of scene where you can't see a fucking thing. But I've seen the same scenes elsewhere that don't have the issue. Was there a problem when putting it to DVD or something, or did they do it on purpose. Either way, it sucks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.J. Hayden said:

I was looking over my DVD of Magnificent Natural Fist just the other day and it suffers from this exact problem. There's a couple of scene where you can't see a fucking thing. But I've seen the same scenes elsewhere that don't have the issue. Was there a problem when putting it to DVD or something, or did they do it on purpose. Either way, it sucks.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would assume either to cover up or “fix” something or simply an editorial choice on the part of the distributor. I’ve seen this before but mostly only noticed it on martial arts movies.

This is a screen shot from the recent Blu Ray release of THE AWAKEN PUNCH - the inset shot is from a VHS of the same film, under a different title:

512099904_ScreenShot2021-03-28at3_18_54PM.thumb.png.01fd794383b9313b5793db22ec690754.png

Edited by ThunderScore
  • Like 3

THE SHAOLIN DRUNK(EN) MONKEY: Nite And Day Scenes

Seems it was a common practice to turn daytime scenes to "Day for Night" in some Martial Arts Movies by distributors, the reasons for which could be anything from changing the script in the dub to covering up something in the original - Discovered this when re-creating the trailer for SHAOLIN DRUNK(EN) MONKEY:

• Like 4

ThunderScore

THE DYNAMITE SHAOLIN HEROES Trailer Re-Creation

There's a scene at about :30 in this trailer that does not appear any other version of Kwan Yung-Moon (billed here as "James Kuen") being tossed into a pond by Kim Min-Jeong. Also, every version of this that I've come across has the same jump cut about 20 minutes into the film, where I'm guessing this originally was...

• Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, ThunderScore said:

THE SHAOLIN DRUNK(EN) MONKEY: Nite And Day Scenes

Seems it was a common practice to turn daytime scenes to "Day for Night" in some Martial Arts Movies by distributors, the reasons for which could be anything from changing the script in the dub to covering up something in the original - Discovered this when re-creating the trailer for SHAOLIN DRUNK(EN) MONKEY:

I can't lie I started singing and then realized it was an instrumental, and was like oh yeah we talking about Shaolin Drunken Monkey. Then Al b sure started singing when the fun started. Great stuff!

• Like 2

ThunderScore

THE SHAOLIN INCREDIBLE TEN Promo (Revised):

Featuring Mike Wong's "Incredible Shaolin Chair", brighter soundbites, spinning logo and last but not least, Eagle Han scenes without the day for night filter...

• Like 2