violent samurai films

Guest m burlock

Guest m burlock

Can anyone recommend lots of well done and high quality violent samurai films? Both obvious ones and ESPECIALLY obscure ones? Please include in your list ones that are Quintin Tarantino's favorites. The more suggestions the better. Thanks in advance!

m_burlock

P.S.

Please list films that are inprint and are available on Region 1 NTSC DVD.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

Well the Best Series on DVD is "Lone Wolf & Cub" #1-6 in America the Movie was called "Shogun Assassin" but it was really a combined mix of pt.#1&2

The "Zatoichi" Series is Great a lot of Action in all the films not to much Blood Action.

Shadow Hunters #1&2 very good

Lady SnowBlood #1 (pt.2 sucked)

Azumi pt.#1&2 Great Movies you might have to shop around for these 2 but I can tell you where to pick them up, pt.#1 you can get almost everywhere, but the 2nd. one I'll give you the link where you can get an Excellent copy of this movie.

BTW: You know must all of these movies are in Japanese with English Subtitles.

This list can go on but that should be good enough for you to start with. Since you really just want Violent movies with a lot of Action.

Guest limubai2000
Please list films that are inprint and are available on Region 1 NTSC DVD.

Get yourself an all region player, $40 at Wal Mart and then hack it using a code here.

Then we'll talk seriously, you can thank us later!

Guest kungfusamurai

Actually, that won't be necessary since most of the 'violent samurai films' that have been listed are region 1 pressings. Animeigo has the Lone Wolf & Cub, Lady Snowblood, Shadow Hunters and 70s Zatoichi flicks; Home Vision has the Zatoichi 60s stuff. And the bootlegged titles on Ebay are usually all region or region 1 NTSC.

KFS

Guest rockandrolltroy

Lone Wolf and Cub series stands high above the crowd in terms of sheer blood and death.

Azumi I is good, Azumi 2 is OK.

Zatoichi movies are awesome.

Sword of Doom was pretty bloody...liked it.

The Samauri Trilogy kicks ass.

Guest White Snake

In the past week AnimEigo announced it has acquired the licenses for Shogun Assassin ("The most famous samurai film in North America and probably most bootlegged one! You've begged us to do it for years, and we're giving it the full AnimEigo treatment - we're restoring it using our brilliant transfers of the original component films (Lone Wolf & Cub 1&2). We're literally going to replace every frame in Shogun Assassin with the exact same frames from the original films!") and "The Trail of Blood (1972), The Fearless Avenger (1973), and Slaughter in the Snow (1973): 3 action-packed, excessively bloody samurai Yakuza films (in other words, the kind you tell us you like the best!), the famed "Mikogami" series is the story of a man who tried to leave the Yakuza world, only to have his family slaughtered -- which means there's 3 films worth of villains to hunt down and dispatch! "

I saw Mikogami #1 and #2 several years ago at a samurai film festival, and have been awaiting their release on DVD for a long time, even suggesting this series to the AnimEigo booth at San Diego Comic-Con last year.

Guest kungfusamurai

Thanks for that heads-up. I hope Shogun Assassin is slightly cheaper than the other discs since it is more of a rehash of films they've already got out on DVD. I can see it being a huge seller for them.

KFS

Archived