Movies that Deserve a 2nd Chance?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The idea for this thread came from the recent 'The Iceman Cometh' discussion, where I mentioned I'd watched the movie once back when HKL released it on DVD back in 2005, found myself thoroughly underwhelmed, and have never watched it again since.

However general opinion seems to be that this is one of Biao's better solo outings, so it got me thinking if maybe I was expecting too much from it back then, and should give it another try.

It also made me think about how many other movies have we watched when perhaps we were expecting to be blown away, only to be left wondering what all the fuss is about, and now consider giving them another chance with adjusted expectations (note: that doesn't necessarily mean lowered :tongueout).

For me, I watched 'Seven Swords' back when it hit UK cinemas in 2006, and remember thinking it was pretty average.  However now, 11 years later, I think it's safe to say I have a greater appreciation for both Tsui Hark and Lau Kar Leung (ok....and Donnie Yen), so I'd definitely like to go back and re-visit it with a fresh perspective.  I also felt the same way about 'The Blade' when I watched it around the same time, so I guess that's my next double bill sorted.

How about everyone else?

• Like 3

Good question. The movie I was most disappointed in when I first watched was "Executioners from Shaolin". It was probably due to high expectations after reading how much of a classic this was. I think at the time I was still new to martial arts films and Lau Kar Leung's style of film making might not be the best introduction for newbies. I don't know if I would love today but I know I would apprechiate it more.

But "Seven Swords" is so hard for me to rate. I feel like half of it is a masterpeice and the other half is a comeplete mess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

The idea for this thread came from the recent 'The Iceman Cometh' discussion, where I mentioned I'd watched the movie once back when HKL released it on DVD back in 2005, found myself thoroughly underwhelmed, and have never watched it again since.

Great idea for a thread, while there are films I've enjoyed watching more the second time round. At the moment I just can't think of any, whenever I think of a title I'll bring it up here.

• Like 1

Martial club for me,I'd heard so much about it but when I finally managed to obtain a DVD of the movie I was very dissapionted.But having watched it some years later I definitely appreciated it more especially the fact that nobody dies in the finale between Gordon liu and Wang lung wei 

• Like 4

This thread reminds me of this old thread: 

Also I did the did the reverse here:

I guess I'd stick to the same answers. Though I might let the forum know, if I start to like Five Venoms and Killer Clans (which is what I meant to say when I said 'KILLER ACTION' in the first thread). 

• Like 2

The first time I saw Cat vs Rat, I remember that I hadn't enjoyed it, mostly  because of Fu Sheng's character, but when I revisited it a little while ago (after becoming the greatest Adam Cheng's fan in France, if not the only one :bs_coveredlaugh:), I enjoyed it a lot for the fights, for the humor and...for Adam Cheng, of course !!!

• Like 2

Top of my head I want to give The Delightful Forest another watch, I was thinking it would be more like Tiger Killer but didn't know it was made much earlier so it threw me off first time I watched it. Seeding of a Ghost is another, recently put these on my "re-watch" pile.

• Like 2

I recently did that with The Death Games. While I enjoyed the film, I was constantly wondering WTH is up with this final fight that virtually comes out of nowhere. However, I have ultimately watched it again (I own the VHS of the film) and I have to agree with the consensus, it was a cool down fight but pretty well executed.

I also gave Unrivaled a second chance recently. As Hector Echavarria's final film for Tapout before his replacement in Tony Schiena for the MMA film genre, I thought at first this was just like in the vein of Never Surrender and Death Warrior, but after watching it again, it made me realize that this was a bit of an improvement in the execution. Plus it helps that he virtually remade the film and removed the usually require nude scenes in these films as Chavez: Cage of Glory, which for me is his best MMA film.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

I'm trying to think of some movie I dislike that I should revisit, but I can't. But anything I thought sucked, I really don't want to sit through again.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

. But anything I thought sucked, I really don't want to sit through again.

True, for bad flicks no reason to give 2nd chance. For average movies or even bit weakish can do it but no garbage. Have watched some, they did not get any better.

I was first disappointed with project a part 2. Original is likely my fav JC movie and sequel is nowhere close to it. Everything is inferior. Action, cast, comedy....

It`s still sort of failure if keep thinking part 1 and 2 together but noticed some years later during revisit on it`s own right part 2 is quite good movie. 

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
26 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

I was first disappointed with project a part 2. Original is likely my fav JC movie and sequel is nowhere close to it. Everything is inferior. Action, cast, comedy....

It`s still sort of failure if keep thinking part 1 and 2 together but noticed some years later during revisit on it`s own right part 2 is quite good movie. 

Project A 2 is more stunt heavy than the first one, but I've always thought it stood fairly well on its own. I need to watch it again. It's been a while.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Project A 2 is more stunt heavy than the first one, but I've always thought it stood fairly well on its own. I need to watch it again. It's been a while.

Was thinking same about part 1

• Like 3

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:18 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I think I had to watch this five or six times before I learned to appreciate it.

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

For me, it was Killer Constable. For some reason, I was expecting non-stop kung fu action and it failed to deliver. I tossed it to the side for a while.

Years later I get it another go and thought it was a fantastic, character driven film. I suppose that, as I grew older, I warmed to kung fu films that weren’t just wall-to-wall fight scenes.

• Like 3

Rodolphe Dux

Actually, I gave Queen's High a second chance. I still think that the wedding scene is poorly directed and a waste, but the second half of the movie deserves a chance. I'm glad I gave it a second chance, the ending is a wild ride.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

Cognoscente

Kung Fu Cult Master. The first time - you're watching it for the subtitles. The second time - you're watching it without the subtitles so as to compensate for the first time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1