Ming vs Qing movies

Iron_Leopard

I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this but why does it seem that a majority of Ming Dynasty era martial arts films always deals with swordsmen while Qing Dynasty era films focus more on unarmed kung fu? 

Trivial question but just curious.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good question. I've wondered that myself in the past. While I don't know the true reason, I wonder if it has to do with the fact the swordsmen mostly seemed more upper class, whereas in the Qing dynasty movies the stories mostly focused on Ming rebels wanting to restore their old dynasty.

16 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

It's a good question. I've wondered that myself in the past. While I don't know the true reason, I wonder if it has to do with the fact the swordsmen mostly seemed more upper class, whereas in the Qing dynasty movies the stories mostly focused on Ming rebels wanting to restore their old dynasty.

This also made me think another reason could be that the Ming Dynasty allowed martial artists to carry a sword sort of like in the Wild West anyone was allowed to carry a gun for protection. But once the Manchu took over the common theme in those movies was the ban on martial arts to help supress rebellion so those characters had to learn to fight without the use of a weapon.

Archived