Is Dragon Inn (1992) better than the original?

Iron_Leopard

I've never seen the original Dragon Inn but the remake is one of my favorite martial arts films of the 90s. Love the story, the characters, the action, the atmosphere, the performances. Just everything really. I'm curious if anyone thinks the remake is better. Also I would love to see the original. Is there a decent dvd release?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

The orginal is avaliable in the UK on BD and DVD.

Technically the original is better, but the 90s remake is damn good too, and has extra cannibalism!

One Armed Boxer

I still need to see the original, but in the meantime, let's take it to the next level - Is Tsui Hark's remake of a remake, 2011's 'Flying Swords of Dragon Gate', better than the original remake? :tongueout

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Also I would love to see the original. Is there a decent dvd release?

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:59 AM, Killer Meteor said:

The orginal is avaliable in the UK on BD and DVD.

The Eureka! Masters of Cinema Series gave this a fantastic Blu-ray/DVD release in 2015, which is still widely available -

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/dragon-inn

132096_front.thumb.jpg.3b60c077802b229362d36d86a535f136.jpg

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I still need to see the original, but in the meantime, let's take it to the next level - Is Tsui Hark's remake of a remake, 2011's 'Flying Swords of Dragon Gate', better than the original remake?

I never felt it was a remake of a remake, but a sequel or soft reboot or something. It's pretty clear that Zhou Xun is playing a mature version of Maggie Cheung's character (even though she looks younger than Maggie Cheung would've been when the first film was set) and that's set after the events. That said, I don't necessarily think it's better. It has some interesting ideas and exotic weapons, but it feels very overstuffed. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

There's an epic feel to the original that I felt the remake didn't(couldn't?) replicate, it's been a while since I watched them but I remember the remake's choreo was a little chaotic, kind of the style the 90's decade took.

Which one is better?

Well, that would comes down to the viewer.

"Dragon Inn" is a classic and "New Dragon Inn" is one of these few remakes that (in my opinion) comes very, very, very close to being better than the original.

I need to revisit the 1992 version, but from what I remember when I watched it, first, I didn't know that it was a remake of King Hu's Dragon inn, since at that moment, I hadn't begun to collect movies with English subtitles, and second, when I finally watched Shan Kuan Ling Fung's version, I enjoyed it a lot and I think that it's better than the remake, because, as I already said many times, I don't like very much the special affects that make a fight being unrealistic...

But I also enjoyed New dragon inn, in which I discovered Donnie Yen for the first time.

I like the original but I definitely prefer the remake which in my opinion is the best of the 90s wuxia movies. It keeps the atmosphere and the tension of the original but introduces fascinating and amusing new subplots, the visuals are stunning and the fight choreography is fantastic. The movie could've benefited from a more memorable score, though. Compared to the music of the SWORDSMAN-movies, MOON WARRIORS or BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR the NEW DRAGON INN-score somewhat pales.

Archived