Wolfguy (1975) - Sonny Chiba's Wildest Movie?

Tex Killer

Arrow announced they release Wolf Guy

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=wolf &product_id=932

"

Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba is a martial arts "manimal" in the ultra-70's, 100% bizarre mixture of horror, action and sci-fi that is Wolf Guy, one of the rarest and most sought-after cult films produced by Japan's Toei Studio. Based on a manga by Kazumasa Hirai (creator of 8 Man), and never before released outside of Japan, it's a genre film classic waiting to be discovered and a completely unclassifiable trip into phantasmagoric funk.

Chiba stars as Akira Inugami, the only survivor of a clan of ancient werewolves who relies on his supernatural powers to solve mysterious crimes. After a series of bloody killings perpetrated by an unseen force, Inugami uncovers a conspiracy involving a murdered cabaret singer, corrupt politicians, and a plot by the J-CIA to harvest his blood in order to steal his lycanthropic powers! At the same time, Inugami also discovers the truth behind his family heritage, and that he may not be the last of his kind.

"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Arrow announced they release Wolf Guy

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=wolf &product_id=932

Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba is a martial arts "manimal" in the ultra-70's, 100% bizarre mixture of horror, action and sci-fi that is Wolf Guy, one of the rarest and most sought-after cult films produced by Japan's Toei Studio. Based on a manga by Kazumasa Hirai (creator of 8 Man), and never before released outside of Japan, it's a genre film classic waiting to be discovered and a completely unclassifiable trip into phantasmagoric funk.

Chiba stars as Akira Inugami, the only survivor of a clan of ancient werewolves who relies on his supernatural powers to solve mysterious crimes. After a series of bloody killings perpetrated by an unseen force, Inugami uncovers a conspiracy involving a murdered cabaret singer, corrupt politicians, and a plot by the J-CIA to harvest his blood in order to steal his lycanthropic powers! At the same time, Inugami also discovers the truth behind his family heritage, and that he may not be the last of his kind.

I was just posting...

wolfguy.png

Synopsis:

Directed by B-movie genius Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Streetfighter, Wandering Ginza Butterfly, Karate Bear Fighter), Wolf Guy truly is one-of-a-kind, with Chiba in full effect as the part-man, part-wolf, all-karate action hero and a collection of familiar 1970's Toei actors in support. Violence, action, nudity, real surgical footage, and a psychedelic musical score all work together to create an unforgettable trip to the heights of Japanese cinematic weirdness.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition digital transfer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• New optional English subtitle translation
• New video interview with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba
• New video interview with director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi
• New video interview with producer Tatsu Yoshida
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Wes Benscoter

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Patrick Macias and a history of Japanese monster movie mashups by Jasper Sharp.

Release Date: 24th April 2017

Just ordered two copies of Wolfguy. Gotta support this release! I can give the second copy as bithday present to a Japanese friend.

As anyone who's been reading the Chiba thread knows, this is my favourite Chiba film out the 130 I have seen so far (of course The Street Fighter is almost as good).

One Armed Boxer
20 hours ago, Takuma said:

wolfguy.png

Pre-ordered as well, with the @Takuma guarantee that if not completely satisfied, you'll be wiring me a refund.:tongueout

2 more things I can safely guarantee are that 1. @KUNG FU BOB's pre-order won't be far behind, & 2. He should be contacting Arrow to do the artwork for any of their future Chiba releases!

Fan-f*%k#!g-tastic!!!!!! Pre-ordering now.

Dang I don't have an all region blu-ray player.

Another cover that screams for the KFBob treatment:devil

23 minutes ago, Tosh said:

It's a UK/US release, all discs will almost certainly be coded for both regions (even if Arrow's website may claim otherwise) so unless you live in region C, you should be fine.

• Administrator
On 1/14/2017 at 3:11 AM, Tex Killer said:

FINALLY!!! Fantastic news! :nerd:

Wow, I did not foresee this ever getting an official, English-friendly release. Arrow kicks ass! :bigsmile:

On 1/14/2017 at 6:11 PM, Takuma said:

Just ordered two copies of Wolfguy. Gotta support this release! I can give the second copy as bithday present to a Japanese friend.

As anyone who's been reading the Chiba thread knows, this is my favourite Chiba film out the 130 I have seen so far (of course The Street Fighter is almost as good).

And support it we will!

Not only is the movie great, but the poster is one of my all-time favorite posters. Just the poster alone is way better than most films. :tongue:

WOLFGUY POSTER 1.jpg

THIS ONE ISN'T TOO SHABBY EITHER...

WOLFGUY POSTER 2.jpg

On 1/14/2017 at 11:25 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Pre-ordered as well, with the @Takuma guarantee that if not completely satisfied, you'll be wiring me a refund.:tongueout

2 more things I can safely guarantee are that 1. @KUNG FU BOB's pre-order won't be far behind, & 2. He should be contacting Arrow to do the artwork for any of their future Chiba releases!

Your guarantees were both 100% accurate @One Armed Boxer.

On 1/15/2017 at 3:02 AM, Tosh said:

Fan-f*%k#!g-tastic!!!!!! Pre-ordering now.

Another cover that screams for the KFBob treatment:devil

Thanks @Tosh. It stings that I didn't get a shot at this. But I'll just have to "Chiba up!"

Marc Walcow (the producer of the Wolfguy BD) summarized the film perfectly.

wolfmind.jpg
- https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/status/819951617340416000

That's actually exactly what happened in one of the 35mm screenings I attended a few years ago. A Japanese gent was sitting quietly till the end, but as soon as the ending kanji hit the screen he burst into uncontrolled laughter which echoed in the lobby and stairway for a good while as he left. I didn't go see, but I always imagined there was an ambulance waiting for him at the door that took him to a mental hospital. The film's greatness must have been too much for the poor fella.

I am stunned this is getting a BD release - it's an amazing film, and deserves a way bigger audience, with people cosplaying Wolf-Chiba at conventions all over the world!

And yeah, KFBob would've done a stellar job on the art for this one - Arrow, are you reading this?!

(Hopefully, if it sells, dare we dream of getting more Chiba-San goodness on BD - like...The Streetfighter Trilogy?)

On 1/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, Takuma said:

I was just posting...

wolfguy.png

Synopsis:

Directed by B-movie genius Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Streetfighter, Wandering Ginza Butterfly, Karate Bear Fighter), Wolf Guy truly is one-of-a-kind, with Chiba in full effect as the part-man, part-wolf, all-karate action hero and a collection of familiar 1970's Toei actors in support. Violence, action, nudity, real surgical footage, and a psychedelic musical score all work together to create an unforgettable trip to the heights of Japanese cinematic weirdness.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition digital transfer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• New optional English subtitle translation
• New video interview with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba
• New video interview with director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi
• New video interview with producer Tatsu Yoshida
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Wes Benscoter

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Patrick Macias and a history of Japanese monster movie mashups by Jasper Sharp.

Release Date: 24th April 2017

Since I'm slack I never pre-ordered this but see amazon has it up now -

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Guy-2-Disc-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B01NBVG5QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1486688824&sr=1-1&keywords=wolf+guy

$39.95 at amazon, $22.55 through Arrow, anyone know what the shipping is from Arrow? This release could of used it's own thread.

On 10.2.2017 at 10:17 AM, Tosh said:

Since I'm slack I never pre-ordered this but see amazon has it up now -

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Guy-2-Disc-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B01NBVG5QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1486688824&sr=1-1&keywords=wolf+guy

$39.95 at amazon, $22.55 through Arrow, anyone know what the shipping is from Arrow? This release could of used it's own thread.

I highly recommend ordering from Arrow. Not only are the prices cheaper and you'll be supporting Arrow directly, but you'll also get reward points which you can you use with your next order.

I'm not sure what the shipping will be. I ordered two copies of Wolfguy (to Japan) and it came to £4.25. When I ordered the Outlaw Gangster VIP box the shipping was  £3.50. And for the massive Battles without Honor and Humanity box shipping was free... So whatever it will be, it seem very reasonable.

@One Armed Boxer perhaps you could split these wolfguy BD posts into a thread of its own?

On 2/11/2017 at 9:54 PM, Takuma said:

I highly recommend ordering from Arrow. Not only are the prices cheaper and you'll be supporting Arrow directly, but you'll also get reward points which you can you use with your next order.

I'm not sure what the shipping will be. I ordered two copies of Wolfguy (to Japan) and it came to £4.25. When I ordered the Outlaw Gangster VIP box the shipping was  £3.50. And for the massive Battles without Honor and Humanity box shipping was free... So whatever it will be, it seem very reasonable.

@One Armed Boxer perhaps you could split these wolfguy BD posts into a thread of its own?

Cool thanks I'll order from them, think I'll pick up The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai too, been forever since I've watched that movie.

wigsplitta

This was sitting on my desk, waiting for me this morning :smile 

Shame I didn't know, or else i could've popped in on Saturday afternoon to pick it up, and given it a watch over the weekend. 

Having not seen it for a good few years, i'm really looking forward to watching it again, especially as the only version I've watched was the old fullscreen TV rip.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
17 hours ago, wigsplitta said:

This was sitting on my desk, waiting for me this morning :smile 

Shame I didn't know, or else i could've popped in on Saturday afternoon to pick it up, and given it a watch over the weekend. 

Having not seen it for a good few years, i'm really looking forward to watching it again, especially as the only version I've watched was the old fullscreen TV rip.

FullSizeRender.jpg

WHAT?0???  :ooh::bigsmile:

It's not even supposed to be released until the 23rd! @wigsplitta whose wolf guy are you slipping biscuits to under the table to get this so bad boy early? :tongue:

I'm happy for you, but also terribly envious. :pandakungfu

I told my son "You won't be a real man until you see WOLF GUY!" He promptly took a day off from work so we could watch it as soon as it arrives. :tongue: You see people, it's all about teaching your children about priorities in life. :xd:

On 4/3/2017 at 3:14 AM, KenHashibe said:

Wolf Guy is playing in LA on April 28th at the Egyptian Theatre, if anyone is interested. I already know I can't make it to this, but holy crap, Wolf Guy is playing in a movie theater in LA! I never thought I'd ever say that!

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/wolf-guy-0

@KenHashibe I don't know what you have scheduled for that day... your graduation... a sibling's wedding... a heart transplant... but none of these things should come between you and the opportunity to see WOLF GUY on the big screen. :neutral:

As your forum family "Big Brother" I demand that you shirk all responsibilities and see this screening! "You must be... a number one man!" :wink: Hahaha...

KenHashibe
2 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

@KenHashibe I don't know what you have scheduled for that day... your graduation... a sibling's wedding... a heart transplant... but none of these things should come between you and the opportunity to see WOLF GUY on the big screen. :neutral:

As your forum family "Big Brother" I demand that you shirk all responsibilities and see this screening! "You must be... a number one man!" :wink: Hahaha...

Man, I wish I had heard this a month ago. Hate to say it, but this screening was last month on April 28th. Since I heard little to nothing about this movie, I didn't feel any obligation to see it. Now that I know more about it, I'm starting to regret missing it, but not too much since I can't reverse time. :wink:

If the opportunity comes up again to see it on the big screen, I'll take it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Man, I wish I had heard this a month ago. Hate to say it, but this screening was last month on April 28th. Since I heard little to nothing about this movie, I didn't feel any obligation to see it. Now that I know more about it, I'm starting to regret missing it, but not too much since I can't reverse time. :wink:

If the opportunity comes up again to see it on the big screen, I'll take it.

Damn, I blame myself then. :squigglemouth: I should've responded back when you first wrote that post. I've just been so busy I haven't had time to post here.

De Ming Li
31 minutes ago, Takuma said:

I saw it in 35mm... three times... on the same day!

:BL-Exclamation:

That is some serious dedication :BL-Serious:

3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

The third time wasn't really planned. I couldn't get a ticket to Co-ed Report: Yuko's White Breasts (1971) which was sold out, so I thought what the hell, I'll go see Wolfguy one more time. And I didn't regret one bit!

KenHashibe
16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Damn, I blame myself then. :squigglemouth: I should've responded back when you first wrote that post. I've just been so busy I haven't had time to post here.

It's okay, Big Brother. We'll see if another opportunity to see this comes up someday.

14 hours ago, Takuma said:

I saw it in 35mm... three times... on the same day!

:BL-Exclamation:

The third time wasn't really planned. I couldn't get a ticket to Co-ed Report: Yuko's White Breasts (1971) which was sold out, so I thought what the hell, I'll go see Wolfguy one more time. And I didn't regret one bit!

Lucky bastard.

I don't think I've ever seen the same movie three times in the same day. Must be one hell of a movie.

14 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Truly.

Archived