Halloween (2018)/Halloween Kills (2021)/Halloween Ends (2022) - Jamie Lee Curtis

AlbertV

Drunken Monk

It sucks that Halloween Kills had to be pushed back so far. I understand why but I don't have to like it!

• Like 4

Damn, I really need to finally watch Halloween(2018). Guess I'll get a copy of it when I pick up Candyman(1992) this year. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 4:22 PM, Drunken Monk said:

WARNING! This trailer pretty much ruins half the film...

With that said, it looks FUCKING AWESOME.

To be fair isn't the film kind of ruined by the fact there's a second sequel after this one? Kind of takes away, well, ALL of the tension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

To be fair isn't the film kind of ruined by the fact there's a second sequel after this one? Kind of takes away, well, ALL of the tension.

Well, Danny McBride and David Gordon Green had come with a trilogy in mind. So there will be one more after this, Halloween Ends, which I think will be out next year. Like @DarthKato I still need to see the 2018 Halloween. I have it, just haven't watched it yet. 

• Like 3

Early reviews of Halloween Kills have been very polarizing. While a lot of people like it, a bunch of reviewers have said that this one loses all semblance of character development and is, rather, an ultra violent shock fest with not a lot of redeeming qualities.

I’m all for an ultra violent shock fest, if I’m honest.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 1:53 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Early reviews of Halloween Kills have been very polarizing. While a lot of people like it, a bunch of reviewers have said that this one loses all semblance of character development and is, rather, an ultra violent shock fest with not a lot of redeeming qualities.

I’m all for an ultra violent shock fest, if I’m honest.

The first movie got some backlash to for being a conventional slasher. That's too be expected with slashers these days, so I'm taking the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

On 9/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, DiP said:

The first movie got some backlash too for being a conventional slasher. That's too be expected with slashers these days, so I'm taking the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

One review really ticked off a lot of fans because of the original being compared to another classic horror film:

"(That the original was, itself, a mayhem-by-the-numbers knockoff of “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” says a lot about the state of horror movies back then, but let’s leave that for another time.)":lipssealed

• Like 2

I finally saw the 2018 Halloween yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I like how they made Laurie Strode both strong and yet somewhat broken due to perhaps PTSD from the original film. The kills are a meshing of both subtle and graphic. Nick Castle and James Jude Courtney are excellent as Michael "The Shape" Myers and I like the subplot involving Laurie's daughter and granddaughter as it proved to be an important piece of the film. 

Going to watch Halloween Kills later today on Peacock. 

• Like 3

Feel like the hype around this movie has been insane. Like I havent seen this much hype for a horror movie, or just movie in general, since like freddy vs jason. 

Cant say I really get it. I may get around to these eventually, but how many Micheal Myers movies do you need? Arent there already like 10?

Edited by Koravec
edit: sorry for being a hater lol
  • Like 2

Halloween Kills

Blood, chaos, gore, violence. Now that's out of the way where to start...

Honestly this movie features some of the dumbest mother*uckers I've seen. By the end I just wished they would all meet an untimely end by the hands of Michael Myers. Which is by far the ONLY positive in the movie.

There's a few good kills, unfortunately the best ones are already spoiled by the trailer. Not to mention... Story, there's nothing I mean literally nothing here. They could have skipped this entry and just jump straight to the end. Which after watching this I honestly hope it will be.

I left this movie bored and disappointed and pretty pissed off! And the ending... don't get me started.

Avoid, now let's see what they'll do with the scream reboot next.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

I love the Halloween movies but this one sucked. Some terrible acting and dialogue. JLC is sidelined and even the score felt off.

I've only picked up with the reboot but even the kills couldn't save this one!

• Like 2

Ugly: Violence, don`t remember how this prequel was but kills are more to rob zombie style than original movies. I don`t have weak stomach etc but gotten used so much to moderate violence I don`t really like in this movie which is not too far from blood orgy.

Bad;

Spoiler

Mass hysteria in scene at hospital how on earth could they think some poor sob is michael. And while characters often are scrpited to act quite reasonably near end why did not put lights on at meyers house. JLC was underused big time

Good;pretty much everything else. It`s thin on plot but I think can easily forgive it as it`s part of a storyline not standalone movie. Nice atmosphere and scenes when they recalled past events were great. Seeing it at  cinema late night was treat and think will get BR too but not at rrp.

• Like 2

I feel like I’m one of the few that loved this film. But then I went in expecting a generic, cheesy slasher and nothing like the original. That’s what I got: a hyper violent slice of idiocy that was low on seriousness and high on entertainment value.

The only really bad scene was the whole “hospital riot” thing. That dragged on far too long. Everything else I was very happy with. It certainly doesn’t capture the magic of the original but can we really expect that these days?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I feel like I’m one of the few that loved this film. But then I went in expecting a generic, cheesy slasher and nothing like the original. That’s what I got: a hyper violent slice of idiocy that was low on seriousness and high on entertainment value.

The only really bad scene was the whole “hospital riot” thing. That dragged on far too long. Everything else I was very happy with. It certainly doesn’t capture the magic of the original but can we really expect that these days?

You're not the only one. I liked it. I felt it was really a middle ground film with Jamie Lee Curtis on the sidelines and letting her family try to deal with Michael Myers with the help of townsfolk. I like the juxtaposing of present day with scenes set in 1978 that flesh out the story. I agree, the hospital riot scene was pretty much the only flaw that prevented this from me giving it an A+. The final few moments? Embedded in my head. 

• Like 2

The worst thing about movie reviews is that they can sometimes make you not watch certain movies, no matter how hard you try to say to yourself to not listen and just watch and judge yourself. At this point, my expectations went very low but at the same time, I still wanna watch it regardless.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

Just like the previous film I got to see this in the theater all by myself. I love that feeling. Now I wish it was scarier and better; heck I would have settled for OK. I thought the 2018 films was decent, enough for me to see this. I've seen three Halloween films, the previous one and John Carpenter's 1978 release (which I really like). Luckily, all three are in the same timeline universe (I guess ignoring the rest). This film does incorporate a bit from Halloween (1978) and apparently II as well. 

This film takes place right after the events in the 2018 version, though it does have flashbacks to 1978. While the 2018 film seemed to have a bit of mystical too it -- especially when the mask is presented to him in the bedlam (I liked that scene), this film is mostly a straight-up slasher film. Myers can only be so interesting because he is land shark (he hates life, he destroys life, he moves on). So much so it becomes monotonous and predictable to the point of uninteresting tedium. It is bad in many ways, but typical of the worst of slasher films. First, you need really stupid people. Sorry Tommy Doyle, but your wooden baseball bat seems beyond idiotic. Second, you need them to do stupid things like hey let's search a house one by one or let's not group together or let's not call the cops when we hear noises in a house that could be a burglar that would kill us or a indestructible demon from hell with doll's eyes. Yes, that two-inch knife or golf club will protect you. Argh!!! 

It becomes an overuse of setup scene kill repeat ad nauseum (with of course semi-inventive ways typical of slasher to kill, except they do not seem as interesting as well the lawn mower in Brain Dead). But the use of pathos was pathetic. Yes, let us have another escapee who the townsfolk think is Michael Myers for no other reason than to create one of the most annoyingly stupid scenes I've seen this year). Heavy-handed lot. In the previous film Jamie Lee Curtis was prepared and helped that movie out; her presence here is impotent and obligatory. I suspect she will have more to do in the third. Almost felt like Bryan Cranston in Godzilla

Honestly, I'm trouble finding the good in this (other than there are a lot of references to other Halloween movies oh and the fireman fight sequence which was not as good as Malignant's fight scenes). I could complain more about everything. I don't plan on re-seeing this soon. 

• Like 3

This was soooo bad. It's one of the worst films I've seen in a while and pretty much the worst movie of the year I have seen so far. Lame, unconvincing and just plain awful. I don't care if there's no real story or how good the characters are written, I never cared about such things when watching a slasher, it's not about that. Halloween Kills is unbelievably bad, has horrendous script and dialogues, and apart from few kills and the amount of killing in the movie, there's nothing, but really nothing good about it. There's little more than zero entertainment value to be found and while I would have no problem enjoying and appreciating a violent kill fest, this is such a trainwreck even that's impossible. On top of all, Halloween Kills has no soul whatsoever, truly a disgrace to Carpenter's Halloween legacy. 

• Like 4

I was able to watch the movie a few days ago... Before I can personally form my final verdict, I need to watch the movie again, which is how I do movie watching these days. But some things I'd like to add:

Positives

- The violence is more gruesome and variably satisfying

- The return of some characters from the original 1978 movie

- The organized groups of townsfolks hunting down Michael Myers (apparently inspired by Halloween 4)

- Karen taking over for Laurie as the wise, precaution-seeking, and over-protecting mother

- Unexpectedly great twist at the end 

Spoiler

where Michael shows up behind an unaware Karen and kills her while looking out at the window inside the original Myers family house, with juxtaposition of Laurie in the hospital preaching about the presence of evil and its' effect on people living in fear

- The extended ending (will be featured on the upcoming 4K UHD release)

Negatives

- Some of the death scenes feels too forced and unrealistic (even for horror movie standards), making Michael Myers look like a great fighter, and a murderer with too much luck on his side

-  The subplot of the escaped inmate (from the intro scene of the 2018 movie?) only added unneeded red herrings throughout the middle section of the movie

- Lesser screen-time for Laurie

The heavy criticism of how the story was done is apparent, and I can understand why. All the conventions and clichés are here, and compared to the first movie, it was those over the depth and emotions of the characters from the first movie, which is what I feel made this story somewhat underwhelming. Hard to imagine how the same film team, who raised the bar with the 2018 movie, managed to drop the balls a bit for a sequel. I did enjoy it, and I think it's far from a bad movie overall. Let's see how things are done with Halloween Ends.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2