The Stop Hit (2016)

AlbertV

Back before the forum messages were lost, there was a project announced entitled The Stop Hit, which starred Carter Wong, John Cheung, and Eric Jacobus. The film was directed by Jeet Kune Do expert and Chinese medicine expert Dr. Zee Lo. The film was actually screened this past December in two theaters in California. Here is the promotional photo from Zee Lo's Reel Asian Films

StopHitPostcard.jpg

The film tells the story of an international drug ring circuit between Los Angeles and Hong Kong where good cops are pinned against evil in a showdown of epic proportion. A Dual Action Stunts of U.S. and Hong Kong Cinemas.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Eric Jacobus went to China for this!?  I'm not even sure what I just watched.

'Big Trouble, Little China' :wondering

Love the way only the director's (Dr Z!) fight scenes have any sound fx.

Wow! The word "amateurish" doesn't even begin to describe this trailer. There are some neat action moments but I doubt I could endure 90 minutes of this movie.

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Eric Jacobus went to China for this!?  I'm not even sure what I just watched.

'Big Trouble, Little China' :wondering

Love the way only the director's (Dr Z!) fight scenes have any sound fx.

3 hours ago, kami said:

Wow! The word "amateurish" doesn't even begin to describe this trailer. There are some neat action moments but I doubt I could endure 90 minutes of this movie.

Agreed. Hopefully this is just a rough trailer because it surely by no means looked like it should be the finished product. I noticed some bad camera positioning allowing the viewer to see obvious misses, too, in the choreography. The Stunt People's Contour and even Immortal contained far better amateur choreography and film-making than that.

And, just think, I was complaining about how bad Skiptrace was. Man, perhaps I need to go watch Kung Fu Yoga and never complain again! :monk_laughing:

That is probably the worse martial arts trailer that I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. WoW! So, was there not supposed to be any contact made during the fight scenes? Yeah, don't think that I have seen anything that Dr Z has made and if the final product is anything like this trailer, then it would only be worth a watch just to see how bad it really is. 

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, reason108 said:

That is probably the worse martial arts trailer that I have ever seen, and I have seen a few. WoW! 

I feel you. Keep in mind that trailer is at least 2 months old, and that Jacobus is only a player. Like I said, hopefully it's just a rough preview and the finished product will be better.

One Armed Boxer

Bear in mind this is far from Dr Z's first feature, the guys been peddling his own movies (as well as the martial art he founded - Zee Kune Do) for years.

My surprise was more at Eric Jacobus appearing in one of his so called movies.  Unfortunately @ShaOW!linDude, I'd say you can take this for the finished product, one in which the iPhone screenshot effect is used to convey gunfire.:coveredlaugh

there are at least two more Dr Z HK set movies to come including the Fire Monkey and a tournament movie, not sure what to expect from them to say the least....

I've been following this project for a long time, ever since Eric Jacobus first posted about it on Facebook in April 2015. I was excited to hear that Eric Jacobus went to Hong Kong to work on a movie with Carter Wong and John Chang. Who wouldn't be excited? But then he stopped posting updates about the movie. And now I can see why.

Holy crap, I'm speechless. I'm appalled. This looks absolutely horrendous. The only good things about this movie based off the trailer are (1) Eric Jacobus is in it and he knows how to kick, (2) Carter Wong is in it, (3) John Chang is in it, and (4) the shots are in focus. Besides those four things, everything looks awful (the lighting, the composition, camera placement, sound effects, acting, music, pretty much everything).

This movie looks terrible on an almost indescribable level. Like...I can't even put into to words how I feel. I'm baffled, but oddly enough, I do want to see this. It looks so utterly incompetent that it can be entertaining and hilarious. Am I willing to pay money for the privilege? No idea yet.

BTW If I'm not mistaken, Eric Jacobus worked on two movies while in Hong Kong. The other entitled 冠軍的心 which translates to "Heart of a Champion". Then again, I'm not entirely sure if "Heart of a Champion" is a movie or a short film or a TV show or an event or whatever. We'll see.

Heart of a Champion was shot in China & Thailand, still not sure what to make of STOP HIT..... I met Dr Z when he was shooting another movie, no trailer for that one yet, it was a tournament/enter the dragon homage shot on several ETD locations with Chen Kuan-tai making an appearence

ShaOW!linDude
On 2/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, KenHashibe said:

The only good things about this movie based off the trailer are (1) Eric Jacobus is in it and he knows how to kick, (2) Carter Wong is in it, (3) John Chang is in it, and (4) the shots are in focus.

That made me laugh. Way to reach for something positive! :laugh

On 2/20/2017 at 9:08 AM, Mike Leeder said:

Heart of a Champion was shot in China & Thailand...

Yes, but I'm not sure Jacobus appears in this one. I remember him posting on FB about working with the stunt crew. From the way it read, it left me with the impression that he was serving as the stunt coordinator/choreographer. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll get lucky with another treat of him in action.

Archived