Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018)

DragonClaws

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I was talking about this earlier today. Isn't it weird that a Sylvester Stallone vehicle co-starring Dave Baustista is getting a straight-to-DVD release in the US? Stallone is still a solid A-lister. This film must be seriously questionable for them to dump it on home release.

DragonClaws
1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

I was talking about this earlier today. Isn't it weird that a Sylvester Stallone vehicle co-starring Dave Baustista is getting a straight-to-DVD release in the US? Stallone is still a solid A-lister. This film must be seriously questionable for them to dump it on home release.

Thats random, normally they give movies a U.S cineam release, and if it tanks, we get the straight to DVD/BR/Digital release.

Ok I know this is old news, but we never got a theatrical release for British set actioner The Foriegner, yet we get EP-2 on the big screen.

Who makes these decisions? they clearly think the film isnt up to going into American cinemas?. Was this down to test audience reactions?, or poor judgement by the company releasng it?. I can understand them being warying of releasing around the time of a big Marvel movie, but I dont think any will be out during its U.K release?. Or maybe its the current view on the hot gun topic?. Remember Arnies Last Stand and Bullit To The Head tanked in cineams, when they released them unntentionlly, during a senstive time for gun crime?.

Drunken Monk
29 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats random, normally they give movies a U.S cineam release, and if it tanks, we get the straight to DVD/BR/Digital release.

Ok I know this is old news, but we never got a theatrical release for British set actioner The Foriegner, yet we get EP-2 on the big screen.

Who makes these decisions? they clearly think the film isnt up to going into American cinemas?. Was this down to test audience reactions?, or poor judgement by the company releasng it?. I can understand them being warying of releasing around the time of a big Marvel movie, but I dont think any will be out during its U.K release?. Or maybe its the current view on the hot gun topic?. Remember Arnies Last Stand and Bullit To The Head tanked in cineams, when they released them unntentionlly, during a senstive time for gun crime?.

What's weirder is that "Escape Plan 3" is already in post-production. So they obviously thought the second film would be popular enough, WITHOUT a US theatrical release, to warrant a third film. This whole franchise seems to have gone a very odd way.

15 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

If they don't do a wide release, they usually do a limited run in a few theaters but nothing for Escape Plan 2.

Escape Plan didn't do that well domestically (only $25K) while it did ($112K) internationally so it looks like they are going for the international market.

14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

What's weirder is that "Escape Plan 3" is already in post-production. So they obviously thought the second film would be popular enough, WITHOUT a US theatrical release, to warrant a third film. This whole franchise seems to have gone a very odd way.

Escape Plan 3: Devil's Station have Max Zhang as a co-star thus they may be targeting the Chinese/Asian market/audience.

DragonClaws
5 hours ago, thekfc said:

Escape Plan 3: Devil's Station have Max Zhang as a co-star thus they may be targeting the Chinese/Asian market/audience.

They must be making these for other markets like you said, there must have been some profit from the first flick. To warrant a further two movies. being filmed back to back.

Drunken Monk
16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

They must be making these for other markets like you said, there must have been some profit from the first flick. To warrant a further two movies. being filmed back to back.

The first film made $40 million of it's $112 million in China so I'm sure that's why they're leaning towards that market with Max Zhang in the third film and Huang Xiaoming in the second one.

Wikipedia has the budget for the original at $54 million so it definitely made its money back.

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Dare I say this actually looks like a lot of fun?

Agreed, and just what kind of prison are they going to come up with for Part 3?.

Looks like they've re-captured the fun vibe of the first film.

On 5/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, thekfc said:

Part 2 even stars Huang Xiaming, one of the biggest current stars of the "People's Republic". I guess they just neglect US-cinemas since none of Stallone's last movies did really well there. Oh, and the production outfit usually produces these DTV-flicks with Bruce Willis like "Extraction", "Marauders" or "First Kill", all three directed by Steven C. Miller, the director of "Escape Plan 2".

Drunken Monk

Apparently "Escape Plan 2" gets a Chinese release date of June 29th. I wonder if we'll see a VOD release shortly after? 

Drunken Monk
On 5/31/2018 at 1:06 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Apparently "Escape Plan 2" gets a Chinese release date of June 29th. I wonder if we'll see a VOD release shortly after? 

Turns out, it's getting a Blu Rat release in the US on June 29th too.

You can pre-order it here.

Drunken Monk

Sorry to say it but this isn’t any good. It’s actually really boring.

It has a few solid action beats but not enough to keep me entertained. Thumbs down.

DragonClaws
On 6/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Sorry to say it but this isn’t any good. It’s actually really boring.

It has a few solid action beats but not enough to keep me entertained. Thumbs down.

From reviews I've read, Stallone even takes a back seat, and is more of a co-star?.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

From reviews I've read, Stallone even takes a back seat, and is more of a co-star?.

Yep, was more of a co-star.

The movie is more Huang Xiaoming than Stallone.

You can surely tell who the target audience is.

Archived