Takashi Miike's Black Society Trilogy (Shinjuku Triad Society, Rainy Dog, Ley Lines) (2-Disc Special Edition) [Blu-ray]

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Imagine the aesthetics of a Loyd Kaufman, the scope of a Kinji Fukasaku and the pacing of a Takeshi Kitano Yakuza Cop Procedural flick and you'll get this trilogy. Takashi Miike is my favorite director ever, dude doesn't give a fuck about tradition or rules!!! These aren't your typical Cop vs Yakuza drama piece here folks. 1000% A Takashi Miike film!!! This set fucking rules!!!

CuvMzaeXYAEWZuP.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
theThirdMaster
On 1/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I bought this set as a blind buy, even though I wouldn't really consider myself a Miike fan.  I always find his movies interesting, but I don't think I love any of them.  Even Audition and 13 Assassins I enjoyed, but was not drawn to them enough for a second viewing.  Still, I was interested enough to purchase this set.  For me Miike is a train wreck of dark, twisted ideas you can't really look away from.  I feel like I should love his movies, but in the end I just kind of like them.

And after watching Shinjuku Triad Society last night, that's exactly how I feel, again.  That City on Fire review was spot on (aren't they always?), even if I'd give it a 6/10 instead of 7/10.  The closing line sums it up perfectly:

Rough and unpleasant, dark and weird, Shinjuku Triad Society is unmistakably Miike.

It might be a bit before I crack into Rainy Dog, so I'll read that review later.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The other two movies isn't as demented as Shinjuku imo. I think it's palatable for your viewing pleasure.

Worth it just for Rainy Dog and Ley Lines really which are two of his best. Rainy Dog is my personal favourite Miike film so far. I'm not huge into Shinjuku Triad Society, but it's the first film where Miike really hit his stride.

Archived