Shock Wave (2017) - Andy Lau/Herman Yau

AlbertV

Herman Yau's latest, Shock Wave, stars Andy Lau as a bomb disposal unit officer who contends with a terrorist returning to Hong Kong. The film comes out in April.

• Like 3

The Silver Spleen's Sean Tierney appears in the film as a mercenary. He did a 13-part series on making the film:

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

FYI the film is now showing in the US, Canada, Australia and the U.K. In select cities. Some screenings in Cantonese and some in Mandarin.

IMG_2814.PNG

Edited by mark187
  • Like 3

Bummed out that this isn't showing anywhere near me. The Silver Spleen did end up making the mainland China poster for the movie! This actually looks like a good movie, especially from the making of vids.

• Like 1

Shock Wave hits HK DVD, BD and (for apparently the 1st time in HK?) 4K UHD BD on Aug 17!! Yesasia and dddhouse have the preorder up now

• Like 3

Well another update. Looks like the 17th is sticking for the release date after all! However for those that wanted the 4K UHD version, dddhouse now lists it as "postponed indefinitely "

• Like 1

I watched the movie 2 days ago.

I loved it, for its flaws like its qualities.

First let's say that it begins like another Die hard like movie, but it's so much more, thanks to Andy Lau and the Herman Yau directing.

It's basically a traditional revenge movie at the beginning, and I thought that the first 15 minutes were very weak and predictable, but what an ending ! Herman Yau proves, once again that he's a very innovative and bold director (the ending and final shot are definitely Yau style).

Andy Lau, like always, demonstrates that he's one of best living actors in my book, not silly, not too cheesy nor too alpha male for an action movie, just sensitive enough.

The plot is quite weak at the beginning, I mean it's a traditional "catch the angry clever villain" movie, but after the first 15 minutes, all the bombings and stories make the ending so epic !

And finally that gunfight and ending in the tunnel are just so brilliantly directed, the bullets sparks on the cars give a fantastic touch, even if the cgi of the bombings are sometimes ugly (that scene in the water is, to be honest, kinda awful).

Well, minus a few weakness, Shock Wave is a movie I really love, maybe those weaknesses made it lovely, after all Herman Yau offers us a 90's action movie in the Yau style, humble and honest for a 2017 movie. Handcrafted with talent, that's what I love, maybe it's nostalgia speaking.

Highly recommended, even more if you're a 90 HK action movie fan.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 3

I've got to post this again, I thought I did a month ago, but I don't see it?? Haha, anyway...I really liked Shock Wave. I wonder if Herman Yau is a fan of Sudden Death with Van Damme because not only are there some similar plot elements but one scene even makes a potential direct reference to that film

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I turned this off when they got into the tunnel. Does it get any better? Everything before that was a snoozefest.

Once it gets to the tunnel, that is really when the movie gets interesting. You get a couple of overlong crying scenes, but other than that, tis when it gets going.

• Like 1

Cinedigm Entertainment releases Shock Wave on Blu-ray and DVD in the US on January 2, 2018.  That news came from Videoeta.com, with no info that it is the actual Andy Lau movie, only that it's an action movie.  Google doesn't come up with any other movie titled Shock Wave, and Cinedigm does release other Asian titles, like IP Man Season 1, on Blu-ray and DVD (release date Oct 10, 2017). So I just assume this Shock Wave is the Andy Lau movie.  Shockwave: Countdown to Disaster, getting a DVD release on January 23, is a completely different movie.  No Andy Lau, and probably straight-to-DVD.

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 4

Saw this in the cinema, thought the action sequences looked pretty decent with the exception of the computer game-ish final blasts. I'ma grab the HK release, its 4K. Seems WellGo doesn't bother with the format as of now.

Edited by Sheng
  • Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Finally got to see SHOCK WAVE and really enjoyed it, despite some lengthy scenes. The end was unexpected, probably bc I knew there is a sequel in the making. I should have seen enough HK movies by now not to expect Disney.  Didn't see any Andy Lau movie in a while, he excels as usually. 

• Like 3

I find it ironic how I ended up watching this movie because of its' sequel, which I thought was entertaining and emotionally grabbing thanks to Andy Lau. Unexpected that this movie was more about hostage crises than terrorist hunting. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it as much as the sequel. Andy Lau, once again, impresses as the movie's protagonist and so does Jiang Wu as the main villain as well as everyone else in the cast. Great action scenes with the exception of the CGI explosions and CGI-gimmickry for background and objects being destroyed. I'm sensing a third entry coming out in the future so if that happens, let's see how the filmmakers will try to outdo the previous entries.

• Like 1