David VS Goliath: The Monsters Of Martial Arts Cinema

DragonClaws

I originally started this thread last summer on the forums, but sadly it was lost when the forum went down.

David VS Goliath: The Monsters Of Martial Arts Cinema

bruce-lee-and-kareem.jpg

Bruce Lee aim's high in a shot from the G.O.D promotional film.

This thread was originally inspired by the release of Kickboxer Vengeance, where Kurt Sloane(Alain Moussi) fights the towering Tong Po played Dave Buatista in the finale. Member Lady Jin Szu-Yi, also posted a comment from Michael Jai White in regards to him fighting the much shorter Bolo. This made me think about creating a thread that looks at fight scenes where theirs a height difference. The earliest example of the small man vs the big guy in Martial Arts cinema, has to be Hai Tiens fight with Mantis in Game Of Death?. There might be earlier examples. If anyone knows of any please feel free to mention them in this thread. Jackie Chan paid tribute to the G.O.D encounter in City Hunter, when he fights a much taller opponenet in a small cinema. He also went onto to do a similar fight in First Strike(1995), fighting strongman,wrestler and actor Nathan Jones(Fury Road). Nathan has also squared of against Thai sensation Ton Jaa. There are of course many other such screen fights, please feel free to mention your favorites in this thread.

28425-jet-li-fearless.jpg

Jet Li, gets to grips with Nathan Jones in Fearless.

152405_full.jpg

Tony Jaa refuses to back down in The Protector(2005)

It appears the original thread may have inspired other people to do something similar.

Here's a Top Ten David VS Galiath fights article from KungFu Kingdom posted last December.

Link- http://kungfukingdom.com/top-10-david-vs-goliath-movie-fight-scenes/

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Nice thread resurrection @DragonClaws...I'm sure I'll be able to remember a few more, but for now, let's go with - 

Jiang Bao-Cheng pulled big guy duty in both 'Legendary Assassin' (2008) & 'The Wrath of Vajra' (2013) - 

Legendary%20Assassin%20photo%2005.jpg51vzKntjijL.jpg

Fan Siu-Wong also gets to throw down against a gigantic monster in the finale of 'Story of Ricky' - 

hqdefault.jpg

& despite being years since I watched it, I'm sure Jackie Chan also has a fight scene against a giant in 'Snake in the Eagles Shadow', against a really tall fellow student.

I'll be damned if I can find a picture of it though, so let's just go with this one instead :tongueout -

FirstStrike0141-JackieChan_1fcab9fe0f9b1

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
1 minute ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Nice thread resurrection @DragonClaws...I'm sure I'll be able to remember a few more, but for now, let's go with - 

Jiang Bao-Cheng pulled big guy duty51vzKntjijL.jpg

That picture always makes me laugh.  It looks like their disco dancing.  That fight though was more of a squash with Jiang playing the martial arts jobber.

• Like 2

In Underdog Kids, Aidan Considine's Alex goes one-on-one with Julian Giancana's towering Goliath and unleashes a Jaden Smith Karate Kid flip kick but without the wires

Here's the staredown:

underdogkidsalexgoliath.png

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 25/01/2017 at 6:01 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm sure I'll be able to remember a few more, but for now, let's go with - 

Nice one, there's a few I can remember posting on the old thread. Like I mentioned in the origina thread, once we get more contributions I might put togehter a list of most popular fights.

Jiang Bao-Cheng pulled big guy duty in both 'Legendary Assassin' (2008) & 'The Wrath of Vajra' (2013) - 

Remember you posting this first time round, that bottom picture always cracks me up for some reason.

On 25/01/2017 at 6:04 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

That fight though was more of a squash with Jiang playing the martial arts jobber.

LOL I like how you compared the fight to a wrestling match.

On 25/01/2017 at 6:56 PM, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Could not find a big pic of this monster of a man:

No problem GD-YY, it doesnt matter if people cannot find an image to illstrate their post with.

I'll be damned if I can find a picture of it though, so let's just go with this one instead

I tried to find a image of Jackie Chan facing of against Nathan Jones in First Strike, but I had the same problem.

Thanks for your contributions everyone.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Hero & The Terror(1988) features Danny O'Brien(Chuck Norris) trying to over come his fear of the much bigger Simon Moon. The killer is played by former heavyweight boxer Jack O'Halloran.

Hero_And_The_Terror_1988_0017-MasterNorr

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Could not find a big pic of this monster of a man:

Siu Gam

Image result for Militant Eagle (1978)

GD Y-Y

What movie is this image from? I recall watching this movie many years ago but I can't think of it. If my memory serves me right, didn't the hero who fought this big guy knock a hornet's nest from a tree onto his face and the hornets stung his face up so bad that when he removed it, it was swollen and disfigured, making him blind? Or was that another movie?

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
1 hour ago, Shaolivevil said:

What movie is this image from? I recall watching this movie many years ago but I can't think of it. If my memory serves me right, didn't the hero who fought this big guy knock a hornet's nest from a tree onto his face and the hornets stung his face up so bad that when he removed it, it was swollen and disfigured, making him blind? Or was that another movie?

Good memory.  It is Militant Eagle (1978).  I have this in the four-movie set (widescreen, but English dubs) from Warner Bros.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Good memory.  It is Militant Eagle (1978).  I have this in the four-movie set (widescreen, but English dubs) from Warner Bros.

Yes! Thanks so much, masterofoneinchpunch! I have that same four movie DVD set  from Warner Bros. with The Bloody Fists, Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion, and The Prodigal Boxer. I bought it but apparently never watched it! I'm going to watch Militant Eagle tonight...

• Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Right 'Militant Eagle.

He was also in The Magic Blade as you all may recall.

Here is another Big Man Goliath:

Cheng Fu-Hung 

Image result for Cheng Fu-Hung in

He was in 82 movies mostly a bad guy.  

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 3

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
18 hours ago, Shaolivevil said:

Yes! Thanks so much, masterofoneinchpunch! I have that same four movie DVD set  from Warner Bros. with The Bloody Fists, Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion, and The Prodigal Boxer. I bought it but apparently never watched it! I'm going to watch Militant Eagle tonight...

You'll Find Militant Eagle very satisfying. 

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Cheng Fu-Hung 

He's one of those actors that pops up in nearly all of the old school movies I watch, especially the independent ones. Recall him playing a giant zombie in Guy With Secret Kung Fu, where he's being controlled by some form of magic.

• Like 1

I liked Cheng Fu-Hung's performance in The Fearless Hyena where Jackie Chan would resort to flipping him and the impact would cause an "earthquake" due to his size and to end the fight, Chan causes Cheng to fall on top of Wong Yiu.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

I liked Cheng Fu-Hung's performance in The Fearless Hyena where Jackie Chan would resort to flipping him and the impact would cause an "earthquake" due to his size and to end the fight, Chan causes Cheng to fall on top of Wong Yiu.

Great choice Albert, Id completely forgotten about that scene in Fearless Hyena. Need to revisit that one sometime this year.

Jackie Chan might need a step ladde,r to help him fight this opponenet from Skiptrace(2016)

1466498279KQc.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Luc Deveraux (Van Damme) chops Andrew Scott(Lundgren) down to size in Universal Soldier(1992)

d9906e596644e84a3e75070baf2fa544.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Since this branching out into modern cinema.

Here is one:

Richard Kiel

Jaws

Jaws is the quintessential bigger than life bad guy, and without doubt the most well known of the Bond villains. Introduced in The Spy who Loved Me, 7 foot tall Richard Kiel brought to life the steel giant, lending the film a unique charm. He proved so popular that the producers brought him back for the next film, Moonraker.

His second appearance came with a rather cheesy love affair, but Jaws remains a favourite among fans, and has gone down in history as one of the best villains in cinema history. He has appeared in many of the James Bond video games, as both playable characters and as part of the stor

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
12 hours ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Since this branching out into modern cinema.

Here is one:

Richard Kiel

Couple of shots of him facing off against Sam Hui in 'Aces Go Places III: Our Man from Bond Street' - 

Aces-Go-Places-3-images-e73b41ff-8e86-48

aces-go-places3-richard-kiel-et-sam-hui2

• Like 3

Another one...I have to get a screenshot of the fight itself, but Dan Chupong vs. Somdej Kaewler in Dynamite Warrior

Here is Kaewler

screenshot_2_24410.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Recall asking this question in the original thread, but cant recalll the answer. Anyone here know the name of the tall Chinese actor, who appears at the end of Forced Vengeance starring Chuck Norris?.

norris.png

Here's the big guy, with an equally big hair piece.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Mike Tyson's character might be the least of Kurt Slaones worries, in the new Kickboxer movie.

Kurt Sloane(Alian Moussi) stands up to Mongkut(Julius Bjornsson), Julius is a strongman/actor and former player.

sloan-vs-mongkut.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws

kareemandjackie.jpg

Jackie Chan with Basketball legend Kareem Abdul Jabbar, at the 1996 Oscars.

MV5BMTI5NDIxNzY0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjMy

Bruce Lee with his many students, with Kareem stood behind him.

Bruce-Kareem-JKDGroup.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 11:47 AM, DragonClaws said:

Recall asking this question in the original thread, but cant recalll the answer. Anyone here know the name of the tall Chinese actor, who appears at the end of Forced Vengeance starring Chuck Norris?.

norris.png

Here's the big guy, with an equally big hair piece.

That is Seiji Sakaguchi.

He is not Chinese, he is Japanese. He is a retired wrestler & Judoka. He holds a 7th dan red & white belt in judo.

While wrestling, he held numerous tag team titles in the NWA & a one time WWWF North American champion.

• Like 3