Harakiri.....WOW!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Finally found time to sit down and watch my Criterion Harakiri dvd. And all I have to say is WOW, what an extrordinary film. I sat in the same spot for the entire 2+ hr running time and was totally intrigued. Quite simply one of the best films Ive ever seen. Kinda ironic how one of the best Samurai films ever made is a anti-Samurai film. Tatsuya Nakadai has officially surpassed Chiba, Wakayama, Katsu and even the majestic Mifune as my favorite Samurai actor. Powerfull film, a must own imo. 10/10

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yakuza954

It surpassed Seven Samurai as my all-time fav samurai film and was the best film I saw all of last year, and not just in the martial arts genre.

Have you seen Samurai Rebellion yet? It's from the same director, and at the same level of greatness. I also recommend The Human condition, another flick from the same director, and with Nakadai also in the lead.

Guest xZAANTRONx

I adore this film, but you think Samurai Rebellion is at the same level of greatness?!

I don't know...maybe I need to watch this again, but from what I remember of Samurai Rebellion...it was pretty dull to be honest.

But it was a while ago that I saw it...so maybe now I would love it. I'll get back to you..haha

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Yeah, I bought the Criterion Samurai Rebellion dvd as well. Looking forward to watching it soon. Been trying to space out my new Samurai Criterions' flix.:D

Guest Yakuza954
I adore this film, but you think Samurai Rebellion is at the same level of greatness?!

Yeah, and I know others who'd feel the same. I know some people who think it is THE best samurai movie ever, even though i'd give that title to Harakiri.

Wow Gwailo, I would have figured you seen this one already, defiently one of the best Samurai films ever, and I totally disagree about Samurai Rebellion, hell that isn't even Mifune best movie.

Tatsuya Nakadai is my favorite actor, the guy is amazing, I loved him in Kill!, he gets to show his comic side. Shame he's overshadowed by Mifune, he was just as good.

Guest Yakuza954
I totally disagree about Samurai Rebellion, hell that isn't even Mifune best movie.

Considering Mifune has one of the best filmography's of any actor, that isn't surprising.

I still think Samurai Rebellion is a good companion piece to Harakiri, and in the upper-eschelon of Samurai movies. I guess Gwailo will have to judge for himself.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Wow Gwailo, I would have figured you seen this one already, defiently one of the best Samurai films ever

I bought the Criterion disc the day it was released. And I dont why I sat on it so long. I have no excuse for my actions (:lol ) And I have also read quite a few reviews refering to Samurai Rebellion as on the all time greats as well. Looking forward to watching it.

Guest KevinClo

Over the years talking to fans of Samurai cinema and various collectors the consensus usually is that this is the favorite. It sucks you end and you are hooked the two+ hours of it. Samurai Rebellion is great too, but I think it is 2nd best here. The director really did a good job with the story, the cinematography, and the choreography.

"Swordsmanship untested in battle is like swimming on land."

That duel in the wind is a classic. Nakadai has always been my favorite Japanese actor. In acting and his use of the sword there is always a bit of finesse that I like. I like Mifune too, but he tended to be a bit more overpowering at times. Which isn't bad it was just his style.

KC

Guest aliu321

"Over the years talking to fans of Samurai cinema and various collectors the consensus usually is that this is the favorite. It sucks you end and you are hooked the two+ hours of it. Samurai Rebellion is great too, but I think it is 2nd best here. "

... Yes, no debate here. Nakadai is my favorite as well.

Guest Yakuza954
Over the years talking to fans of Samurai cinema and various collectors the consensus usually is that this is the favorite. It sucks you end and you are hooked the two+ hours of it. Samurai Rebellion is great too, but I think it is 2nd best here.

Who is debating that? I DID say Harakiri was my favorite samurai movie ever, so its only natural that I also think Samurai Rebellion is 2nd best in this thread. However, I do feel Samurai Rebellion is one of the 'great' samurai movies along with Harakiri, and I know i'm not the only one. I'm really surprised to see how much debate i'm getting over this.

Guest KevinClo

Yakuza954, I was just chiming in and not really debating any point. IF someone does happen to like Samurai Rebellion more than Harakiri, then more power to them. Kobayashi was a great director either way. :)

KC

Guest Yakuza954

Yes, and I was mostly replying to aliu321, but probably shouldn't have quoted your post. I did find part of your post to be redundant though, as I had already mentioned that I liked Harakiri more than Samurai Rebellion. But who cares anymore, both are classics and to tell the truth I'm getting sick with myself repeating the same thing.

Guest aliu321

Yakuza ... my post did not reference yours. I was merely agreeing with KevinClo. Why you think I was debating you is beyond me?

Even if you did prefer Rebellion, it would not matter to me. They are both fine films ... viva la difference as they say.

I mostly wanted to express that Nakadai is my preference for an actor. He is immensely compelling in Seppuku. But watch him in The Wolves, Sword of Doom, Kiru, Hunter in the Dark ... he virtually carries the films by himself.

Guest Yakuza954
Yakuza ... my post did not reference yours. I was merely agreeing with KevinClo. Why you think I was debating you is beyond me?

Maybe because you said the word debate and it seemed like you were in agreement with him that I was wrong, that Harakiri is easily better and more liked than Samurai rebellion. Though I was never making that argument.

..This is going nowhere. :\

Archived