The Silent Flute Script

greenbamboo

masterofoneinchpunch

It is also available on both versions of Blue Underground's DVD release Circle of Iron.  It is kind of interesting comparing it to the finished product :).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

It is also available on both versions of Blue Underground's DVD release Circle of Iron.  It is kind of interesting comparing it to the finished product :).

I cant recall just how many versions of the script were written?, I know there was more than one edit.

Phantom Dreamer

It's as if time stood still and maybe there are interested parties keen on reviving this treatment. It has to be done right though.

1 hour ago, shukocarl said:

Does anyone know how much the film differed from the original Lee/Coburn/Silliphant script/story?

Thanks in advance 😉

It's a good decade since I read one of the original scripts and saw the movie, so dont quote me on this. Apart from the watering down of the philopsihical content/themes, the script goes from being a X-Rated film, with strong violence and sex. To a much milder PG-13 style movie from the late 60's. Though I'm not sure the MPAA would have passed all the stuff in the script, and its hard to say how BL and James Coburn would have used. If the pair had gone onto to do this in the 60's.

Quoting you here @NoKUNGFUforYU so not to derial the other thread.

I'd go with C.

After reading some of the descriptions of the original ideas for Silent Flute,  Bruce was either A. A bigger stoner then we thought B. Ahead of his time for sex and violence, Asian style or C. Both. 

There's a lot of What If's, surrounding this project, and just what would have been scrapped or changed for a film version by BL, is anyone's guess. I think the levels of sex,violence, and drug use, vary from script to script, depending on which drafts you read?.

1 hour ago, shukocarl said:

Why the title change to CIRCLE OF IRON? It's  meaningless in regards to the film.

It might not be as meaningless as it first seem's?.

Circle. The circle is a universal symbol with extensive meaning. It represents the notions of totality, wholeness, original perfection, the Self, the infinite, eternity, timelessness, all cyclic movement, God ('God is a circle whose centre is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere' (Hermes Trismegistus)).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shukocarl said:

Mmm, that's interesting...very jkd. Still prefer the original title. 😉

Do you know if the movies name was changed just for the U.K market?, I like both titles. Fro what little I know, it went out with the title COI, in Europe only?.

Circle of Iron I think would have been a geat title, even for a non BL movie.

Maybe BL and Sterling Silliphant had a few different titles knocking around for it?.

MV5BNmNiMzE0OGYtMWFjOC00MDE1LThiMjktYWM1

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you know if the movies name was changed just for the U.K market?, I like both titles. Fro what little I know, it went out with the title COI, in Europe only?.

The movie was called Circle of Iron in the United States as well. Is that what you were asking?

Edited by eelecurb01
Clarity
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, eelecurb01 said:

The movie was called Circle of Iron in the United States as well. Is that what you were asking?

9 hours ago, shukocarl said:

It played in the UK as The Silent Flute.

It's ok thanks guy's, I just got th U.S and U.K titles, mixed up, doh.

circle3.jpg?w=820

• Like 1

DragonClaws

And so it is with martial arts. To the Westerner the finger jabs, the side kicks, the back fist, etc., are tools of destruction and violence which is, indeed, one of their functions. But the Oriental believes that the primary function of such tools is revealed when they are self-directed and destroy greed, fear, anger and folly.

Source- Circle of Iron: Bruce Lee’s Lost Movie

Link- https://www.martialdevelopment.com/circle-of-iron-bruce-lee-lost-movie/

Source- https://illustractiongallery.com/martial-arts-bruceploitation/circle-of-iron-japanese.html

circle-of-iron-japanese.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Habbs said:

Hi. Could someone send me the link for this script? Thanks! 

I dont own this script in PDF form, but I'm sure there must be someone here who does?. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt one of The Silent Flute DVD releases incude one version of the script?.