Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

I didn't expect them to show as much as they did in this new teaser. Just expected a couple of short clips, Rogue One while not connected to the latest installment, is still a tough act to follow.

• Like 1

Vietnamese filmmaker, actress, singer and model, Veronica Ngo Thanh Van (House in the Alley) will appear in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. To Western audiences, the multi-talented star is mostly known for her work in the acclaimed Vietnamese martial arts features The Rebel and Clash with Johnny Tri Nguyen, not to mention a minor role in Yuen Woo-ping’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny with Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. But in her Native country, she’s practically a household name.

In Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Ngo will portray Paige Tico, a gunner in the Resistance. We’re not sure how much screen time she’ll have, but if this action figure (click here for photo) is any indication, we’re expecting more than a “blink or you’ll miss” appearance.

Ngo continues the trend of Asian action stars appearing in the new wave of Star Wars films. In 2015, The Raid stars Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian had cameos in Star Wars: The Force Awakens; then in 2016, Ip Man’s Donnie Yen and Let the Bullets Fly’s Jiang Wen were predominant co-stars in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

In addition to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, there’ll be another ‘Paige’ turned in her career: Ngo will also have a role in David Ayer’s upcoming thriller, Bright, with Will Smith, which opens a week after Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s December 15, 2017 date.

http://cityonfire.com/disney-preps-star-wars-episode-vii-for-a-2015-release/

veronica_ngo_action_figure_star_wars.jpg

• Like 3

With this movie due out next month, I though their would be more excitment/discussion of it.

Anyone think Snoke could be Emperor Palpatine? or perhaps another character we have already seen in the other movies?.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgcIU4MKHZkZNeDt_tAew

• Like 2

Catched this at the cinema yesterday in 3D. It's funny and entertaining I'll give it that. But to me at least, a lot of it just seems (very much like in the Force Awakens) awfully familiar. That's not a bad thing but it just shows Disney is playing it safe once again. Also there are at times far too many distractions, which seem to be justifying their existence only to delay the main plot. For me the stand out character remains Rey! Many of the others including Kylo Ren are just too flat for my own taste. Of course Disney took the opportunity to add some more "cute" creatures to the Star Wars franchise. Which I'm sure fans will return the favour in buying their merchandise :tongueout

My personal verdict, entertaining but somehow the characters are wasted on a once again far too familiar story.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Episode 13???

I assume it was a miss type and should say: VIII

• Like 1

Hope to see this at the end of the week with the other half, fingers crossed.

On 16/12/2017 at 1:28 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Episode 13???

It took some time for people to spot that, the posts been up almost a year.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Caught it by pure happenstance as I don't give even half a fuck about Star Wars. But seriously, they should teach Roman numerals in school I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

But seriously, they should teach Roman numerals in school I think.

I think your onto something there, and maybe some observation lessons too, I could use both lol.

Not sure where to start with the latest Star Wars adventure, from Disney franchise machine. This film didn’t enrage, or disappoint me, but at the same time it never really impressed me that much either. Hard to say how much Carrie Fisher's death effected this production? and its direction. Kylo Ren pulling tantrums like a teenage sith lord still doesn’t work for me. That said, Adam Driver's performance I think was really-good, and the character has some moments of greatest. Part of the movie almost felt like a parody of Star Wars, if that makes sense?. I laughed out loud when Luke Skywalker threw away the light sabre, but the rest of cinema sat silent. The ships are now so big, I'm not sure how they turn them around without scratching planets?. The Republic must pay a fortune in insurance for these ships.

Korean actress Kelly Marie Tran was really good, in fact I felt her adventure with John Boyegas Finn deserved its own movie?. Cut those scenes out and the film would have had much shorter run time. I'm not sure it needed to be so long?, guess this is how they justify them charging you extra to see this film. It hasn’t stopped Star Wars fans seeing the films, so i guess Disney will just continue to exploit our wallets whenever they can. Snoke felt like he was the voice of all the enraged Star Wars fans, who hated the fact Kylo Ren lost his big light sabre duel in Force Awakens. You can see where they were trying to patch up problems/negative reactions about the previous film. In some cases it worked, with others it didn’t. Did we need C3-PO there? cut him out and you wouldn’t miss him all that much, same can be said about many of the older characters. Yet I still don’t feel they didn't confident enough to let just the new generation hold it all together, on their own.

Visually it looked fantastic, there's some superb visuals for Star Wars fans, wether they dislike the story or not. The story was the same old, the rebels are out-numbered and being chased across the galaxy. Why couldn’t the fight with the Republic have been put on hold, there many of adventure’s and stories they could tell. I think they made a mistake by making this trilogy about the same war. There were nice comments on the military industrial complex and the filthy rich who live high lights from it, away from all the conflict and explosions. Benecio Del Toro was on top form, Daisy Ridleys Ray's character was much more mature and more likable in this in this instalment too. Enjoyed Mark Hamills presence too, though it appears he’s personally not happy with how his character was handled. I could rant all day about this, and at the end of the day, these movies are for the new/younger fans. Not sure if I'd view the original movies the same, had I watched the for the first time as an adult. As much as I love the older films, I think their legacy and reputation has become blown out of all proportion. Loved the light sabre battle in Snoke chamber, and the whole visual look. Felt like there were some nods to old school Martial Arts cinema there. They could have just made his guards a bit tougher to deal with, though this is only a 12-A/PG-13 production.

• Like 2

Put simply, the first 30 minutes was great, the next hour is interminable dross - a living nightmare. Everything on the island, Finn and Rose’s “quest” and that terrible Leia scene (you know the one I’m talking about) is horrible and just genuinely bad cinema. Then the last hour kicks is and it’s FANTASTIC stuff. It really makes up for the middle hour.

Because of the balance of great and shit, I’d say the film is good. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

On 25/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Everything on the island,

Loved the stuff on the island, and the first shot of Rey finding the tree reminded me a lot of Dogaboh in TESB. The effect also seemed to match up with the 1980's sets too, for that one brief sequence at least. Actor Mark Hamill must have felt like living on an island in real life, after years of been hounded by Star Wars fanatics.

On 25/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Drunken Monk said:

and that terrible Leia scene (you know the one I’m talking about) is horrible and just genuinely bad cinema.

Me and the other half just stared at each other, when she began to float through space at will.

I really think they missed a great opportunity to turn Adam Drivers Kylo Ren into an interesting Dark Sith Lord character. Not sure why there was all that fuss and fanfare about Captain Phasma, before the release of the new films. That characters just been comic relief up-to now, the suit looks cool though.

Luke_Rey_Vanity_Fair.jpg

Rey just realizes she's forgotten her head-phones at the old republic's base.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Recently chatting with friends about the last two installments of the Star Wars saga movies. Anyone else notice that despite getting a big wound to the side of his torso, during the finale of The Force Awakens. Kylo Ren only had small scars on his face during the Last Jedi.

• Like 1

Great film, probably better than than all the hong chinese superheroey films put together,   . ,Enjoyed the  intentional and unintentional comedy, great action scenes , special effects.  I even liked  majority of the the characters .Enjoyed the princess leia mary poppins scene best 

Edited by robbie