Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Mackenzie Davis

AlbertV

Recently catching the trailer for this on a big screen, really made all the difference. To re-chew my own word's, I cant help but feel it would be so much cooler if the last three movies had not happened. To get Linda Hamleton Back with James Cameron, and by not making Arnie's cyborg the centre of the story. The fact he appeared in two of the last three films, also deminishes the impact of his return somewhat. It does look like a fun action blockbuster movie, which is all it's supposed to be after all.

I doon't understand the negative comments it has attracted becuase of certain casting choices?. Part's 1 & 2 were always just as much about a strong female charcter, as they were about fancy action set peices. Even the last movie got this right, with Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor.

Linda Hamilton Explains Her Problem With The Terminator Sequels

[Character] is something that I strongly felt was missing with the three since I did Judgment Day. You had so much action and taking everything and making it that much bigger, but there were no characters that you really cared about. And that obviously has to be the real thread that links my three movies together; you’ve got to have characters you care about or it’s all just a wash.

Source- https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2476649/linda-hamilton-explains-her-problem-with-the-terminator-sequels

• Like 1

Boy, do I have mixed feelings about this. Everything wrong with reboots these days is on display here. A perfect example of the disney formula. Does that mean it's a terrible movie? Certainly not. But these things need to be adressed and I'm not sure I'm willing to support these releases in the future.

First of all yes it is the best since T2 BUT only because the other parts sucked. Everything in this movie feels so "warmed up". Pleasing the old fanbase by bringing back some beloved characters and at the same time tapping into current (US) issues. However the second one is done so blatanly it's really bad if you analyze it to close. The entire movie tries so hard for a "female empowerment" message. Which to be honest I wouldn't mind, I love strong female characters. Especially Natalia Reyes as "Dani" doesn't convince me (no spoiler). Hamilton and Davis deliver the stand out performances for me.

At the same time I have to question the integrity of the film makers. Early on we have a scene with a butt-naked Davis for quite some time. On the other side her male counter part doesn't get to "show off" nothing. Keep in mind what you just read above.

Then there's the whole issue with the set up in Mexico. Nothing to bother me but the way it's delivered. Also I don't understand the choice of switching back and forth between english and spanish.

Spoiler

An important scene in the movie makes an illegal border crossing seem like a walk in the park. At the same time they show us these caged immigrants waiting for whatever fate has in store for them.

Arnold's character is given more of a sidekick role; who is delivering some pretty bad jokes at times. But at least they're so bad they're good again. Also one of his first lines is pretty much a message for any US citizen to arm themselves to the teeth. Which I would argue is questionable at best.

So here you have it a rehash of what has been with issues concering, female and racial empowerment, immigration and gun control. That is IF you look at it too close. If you dismiss the latter what you are left with is a paper thin story with some spectacular action sequences. I'm just not sure if that's enough for me in this day and age. Great effects are nowadays an industry standard in these hollywood/chinese co-productions. And it's OK to adress issues here and there but at least do it in a matter where it doesn't feel so damn "put-on". Switch off your brains sit back and watch this forgettable action spectacle if you don't care about all these things.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
6 hours ago, laagi said:

So here you have it a rehash of what has been with issues concering, female and racial empowerment, immigration and gun control.

So... It's pretty much a run-of-the-mill, typical Hollywood pro-female and/or pro-minorities movie from the late 2010s like X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Get out and Black Panther then ? Those were really on the nose with those issues.

• Like 2

Well this is comfortably the second best after T2. Mackenzie Davis, it cannot be emphasised enough, is just awesome, badass through and through and will be headlining her own action franchise before long. Nice to see Linda Hamilton back in action, and as for Arnie, certainly his best performance in some time, he gets the biggest laughs of the movie just by being his usual stoic self. Nice action set pieces, and Miller knows how to film them which is always nice to see. I do wonder if they can carry on much longer though given how few plots you can really do with a time travelling Terminator, but if they do have to go out then this is the one to go out on.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner
3 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Ok, looks like i got two movies i need to see. Joker and terminator.

or you can go for the exploitative cash-in Jokerminator - where a robotic clown travels back in time to kill comedians of the past so he can claim HE invented their jokes.  :bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 4

Call me a simple man but I loved this film. It’s not much of a thinking man’s movie but it delivers strong characters, a sleek plot and fantastic action sequences. I could have watched another hour of it easily.

Thankfully, every actor shines and Schwarzenegger makes his terminator feel new and fresh as well as nostalgic and familiar.

i recommend it highly to those that want a big blockbuster action movie. This one is up there with the best of the year.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I was very impressed by the job they did with this. I had no idea the franchise could sink any lower.

I enjoyed the last installment, I thought it was the best one since Judgement Day. Loved Linda Hamilton's performance, she had a strong screen presence. Macknezie Davis as Grace, did a fantastic job with a very physical performance. Also great to Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the role, despite the health problems he had just pre to making this movie. They did the right thing by not making his character the centre of the story.

• Like 2

Soz, can't agree with you on most of that, but at least you're not one of the insane people that claim it is on par with (or even equal to!!!) the original two films. You enjoyed it so I'm happy for you, but I thought it was really bad and what they did to lil John is unforgivable.

Maybe it was punishment for Edward Furlong's album, that is pure torture :P

• Like 1

I came close to buying this movie today at Walmart, but I passed on it. Every Terminator movie after T2 has been a disaster and this one looks to be one of the worst(The worst is defiantly Genisys. That movie was a dumpster fire). 

• Like 1