Lục Vân Tiên: Tuyệt Đỉnh Kungfu (2017) - Vietnamese Action

Drunken Monk

This looks like a new Thai production starring Andy Long and featuring some familiar faces from Martial Club. The trailer looks a bit "Iceman Cometh"-ish...

• Like 5

It's actually Vietnamese but this look quite fun...very Jackie-like style action (not surprised considering Long is a member of the JC Stunt Team)

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

It's stuff like this that Jackie Chan should have been working on for the last decade, pushing the members of his Stunt Team into the forefront of projects that showcase their skills.  Good for Andy Long though to strike out on his own.

• Like 4

KenHashibe

I've been dying to see this for the longest time. Can't wait for an English-friendly DVD (or any DVD; I just wanna see it). Looks great.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
7 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

I've been dying to see this for the longest time. Can't wait for an English-friendly DVD (or any DVD; I just wanna see it). Looks great.

Agreed. I've been waiting for Martial Club to announce a release date for this one.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

It looks like this one is finally getting a US premier. Can we actually expect a DVD release at some point?

• Like 6

On 1/19/2017 at 8:38 PM, Drunken Monk said:

This looks like a new Thai production starring Andy Long and featuring some familiar faces from Martial Club. The trailer looks a bit "Iceman Cometh"-ish...

Wow !! This looks great !!

• Like 2

I'm hoping that after its screening at the Action On Film Festival it'll pick up a distributor. I wonder if it would keep the name Luc Van Tien or not. 😁 It's times like these where I wish the AOF Festival was still held in Southern California. I hope to get the chance to see it soon.

The more I see of this the more I think “YES” back to the good old days,can’t wait.👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BlueRain83 said:

OMG i want to watch this ! Any news if we can see a english /german version soon pls?

There’s been no word of a western release. Like most people, I have my fingers crossed that, after the film festival it screened at, there will be one. But who knows?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Andy Long replied to me on Instagram and said we should definitely look for a US release some time in the future. Well Film Combat Syndicate has confirmed that it's been picked up for global distribution by Cyclone Entertainment LLC. You can check out their website here: https://www.cycloneentertainmentllc.com/international-1

• Like 3

ShaolinMasterKiller
7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yeah, I began watching it on Tubi and couldn’t get through it. It’s awful.

I sat through it. It's... Yeah, it's not very good. The fighting is great, as one can tell by the trailer, but most of the encounters were too brief, the story felt like it was written for (and to an extent by) children (even though the plot involves human trafficking), and there was a "we're just making this up as we go along & not taking ourselves too seriously" quality to the whole thing that started off sort of charming, but by the end had me thoroughly irritated. There were multiple instances where a character would suddenly show up in a place exactly where they needed to be at exactly the right time with zero explanation as to how they got there, and I seriously wonder if there were scenes they forgot to shoot, or couldn't shoot, and just hoped that the audience wouldn't notice.

• Like 3

Watched this last night. Yep, the story and acting are pretty trite. Starts off with the ol' "fish out of water" aka The Iceman Cometh feel, which is never really explained, except to vague allusions of reincarnation...I think. Really the only great thing about the film is Andy Long. This is definitely a harkening back to the 80's HK style action and it is glorious at times. I loved the fights as they were full of some sweet maneuvers and nice impacts. And I don't know yet just who the Yin & Yang twins were in the finale, but those guys are insane with their bootwork. The closing credits include some outtake scenes, one of which is fall Long performs that is obviously an homage to one of Chan's in Police Story. And seeing the guys from the Martial Club was cool. They have some nice fight scenes, and play up the comedy aspect, and what becomes a running gag had me laughing out loud at the end. 

I will definitely be watching this again, if only to ff to the action scenes. There's some great stuff in there. But I want a dvd of this. Not sure how to run this one down or if it's even gotten a proper release in any market yet.

@Drunken Monk, I encourage you to give it another go. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

And I don't know yet just who the Yin & Yang twins were in the finale

those 2 are the youngmasters stunt crew they have done  some great shorts over the years

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rdenn said:

those 2 are the youngmasters stunt crew they have done  some great shorts over the years

One of them, Lorenz Hideyoshi, worked on the new Dune movie. He’s come a long way.

• Like 2

I watched it yesterday and while I will give a full review on my blog, it was basically if The Iceman Cometh was remade as a Vietnamese comedy loaded with some amazing fight scenes. The running gag with Brian, Andy, and Du An on Martial Club made me laugh, especially the last time we see it. Andy Long is freaking awesome, hands down! I think we get a chance to see some of his emotional range here in spurts and for someone's first lead role, it's pretty good. The comedy bits were a bit mehhh with the exception of the introduction to the Bolo-like champion, because that was pretty damn funny IMO. The fight between Long and Young Masters' Lorenz Hideyoshi and Felix Funakoshi was freaking amazing to watch, especially when Long figures out how to possibly defeat them. Overall, despite some flaws in the comic department, I would definitely watch this again, no doubt.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Drunken Monk said:

One of them, Lorenz Hideyoshi, worked on the new Dune movie. He’s come a long way.

that is great news , mad we have actually seen them grow up while doing shorts to films now

• Like 2