Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) - Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Kevin Cheng, Dave Bautista, Tony Jaa

AlbertV

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/review/master-z-ip-man-legacy-ye-wen-wai-zhuan-zhang-tian-zhi-film-review-busan-2018-1151813

first review up and it’s sou pretty good! I’d guess that it’ll be out on Blu-ray by March. It’ll probably get a limited theatrical release in the US and Canada since Well Go got it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that Yuen Woo Ping is pretty much homaging himself with that Michelle Yeoh/Max Zhang whiskey glass fight.

I’m so excited for this film. I hope it gets a limited theatrical run over here.

From HKSAR Film No Top 10 Box Office

Max Zhang Jin and former professional wrestler and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY star Dave Bautista starred in the Yuen Woo Ping directed film MASTER Z: THE IP MAN LEGACY (IP MAN OI JUEN: CHEUNG TIN CHI), which will open in December. Many good fighters like Tony Jaa, Michelle Yeoh (Yeung Chi King) and Shi Yanneng performed. Tony Jaa stated that he took the role because of Lord Eight and that Zhang Jin took great care of him like a big brother and a caretaker, as they had great chemistry. Dave stated that he was not used to the Hong Kong film production format. "I don't have confidence in myself because every shot takes almost 20 to 30 takes. Yet on the third day a close up shot was done in one take, which surprised me!"

Just announced - Australians get a chance to win a ticket to see Master Z, which opens there on December 21, 2018.  The chance to win a ticket expires on Dec 18th.  Instructions here - https://screenanarchy.com/2018/12/hey-australia-win-tickets-to-see-master-z-and-airpocalypse-in-cinemas.html

Also opening in Australia on Dec 21 is "Xiao Yang's comedy film Airpocalypse, which is about a psychologist known as the 'Master of Suicide Intervention'."

Why does Australia get these highly anticipated movies (well, not Airpocalypse) so much sooner than they're released in North America?  Why are we in North America still waiting for Well Go USA's 2019 theatrical release date announcement for Shadow, when it already opened in Australia exactly 2 months ago?

1202-00282-028b1.jpg

Chrissie Chau, Max Zhang, and "Lord Eight" Yuen Woo-Ping in Foshan for a promotional event for Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy

2 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Why does Australia get these highly anticipated movies (well, not Airpocalypse) so much sooner than they're released in North America?  Why are we in North America still waiting for Well Go USA's 2019 theatrical release date announcement for Shadow, when it already opened in Australia exactly 2 months ago?

I don't have an answer for you but I think it's safe to assume the Hong Kong Blu Ray will be out long before Well Go USA get around to releasing Master Z - The Ip Man Legacy. I may have to double dip because I want to see the film as soon as possible but I also want to support Well Go USA.

5 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Dont quote me, but maybe its just a better market for them there?.

Or is it down to Australia and Hong Kong, not being that far apart on the world map?.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, DragonClaws said:

Dont quote me, but maybe its just a better market for them there?.

Or is it down to Australia and Hong Kong, not being that far apart on the world map?.

These films are generally well supported here, but I can't speak for any geographical influence (other than there being sizeable diasporic communities here). To the point where some films will be separately screened in both Mandarin and Cantonese (including Master Z).

Im rly hyped and i am hoping this film will be BETTER than the rly shitty IP MAN 3 ( pls nr 4 be so good like 1+2 again :< ! )

Wire work can be shitty or can be rly nice looking (like at the Hero movie !)

Lets hope together that the movie will be awesome ! :)

Saw this earlier tonight, and I really enjoyed it. Great to see some familiar faces (Yuen Wah and Xing Yu) pop up in some nice roles. Tony Jaa, well, I'll just say that his part is integral in its own right. One thing I really enjoyed is that the film has a relatively small amount of substantial parts, but they all feel like they contribute to the plot in their own way. Nobody felt wasted.

The action was a highlight, for sure. But I should say that it seemed like they tried to make it somewhat atypical compared to the main Ip Man series, and it worked as it really set Max Zhang's character as able to stand on his own, instead of just turning him into a second Ip Man. 

I saw the film in Cantonese (with some English), and it seemed like some of the actors were dubbed. The Mandarin version was also playing at the same cinema, but I don't know how much of that was dubbed. It sounded like Max Zhang was dubbed by Nic Tse.

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

City On Fire seems to have the first negative review I've read so far.

This review seem to have dampened my expectations. As with most films these days, it is best to check it out and see if you like it or not.

42 minutes ago, BLfan said:

This review seem to have dampened my expectations. As with most films these days, it is best to check it out and see if you like it or not.

To be honest, their review didn't really bother me. Sure, it's more negative than positive but, at the end of the day, they basically said "It's a messy fight-fest" and I can live with that. I don't need Shakespeare from Yuen Woo Ping.

They mentioned a lot of wire-work but I'm one of the terrible heathens that can get a lot of enjoyment from wire work. So my expectations haven't been dampened yet. It's still the one film I'm most excited for.

I was really looking forward to this,but the mention of heavy wire work has dampened my interest some what.Will check it out but not so eager anymore

The interview on YouTube with Bauista shows some wire work. I don't mind. The fights looks good to me. I hope Ping will be around for a long time. The same with John woo. Both are getting old.

One Armed Boxer
15 hours ago, Asmo said:

I saw the film in Cantonese (with some English), and it seemed like some of the actors were dubbed. The Mandarin version was also playing at the same cinema, but I don't know how much of that was dubbed. It sounded like Max Zhang was dubbed by Nic Tse.

Where we at the same session?  I was at the 8:40pm one on George Street in Sydney CBD.:smile

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

City On Fire seems to have the first negative review I've read so far.

Damn it, you guys beat me to it.  Stayed up 'till 2:00am writing that straight after coming from the screening!  For those who want to check out the full review, here's the link -

http://cityonfire.com/master-z-ip-man-legacy-2018-review/

Look forward to hearing what everyone else on here thinks of it!

Archived