Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) - Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Kevin Cheng, Dave Bautista, Tony Jaa

AlbertV

whitesnake

I found this article - https://www.nasdaq.com/article/top-hong-kong-films-to-be-screened-in-cannes-20180508-00144 - which mentions that "Another nine Hong Kong companies will showcase their latest productions and seek business and partnership opportunities through their individual stands or offices at Marche du Film.  The schedule includes Invincible Dragon, Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy and Still Human."  France's Marche du Film was part of the 2018 Cannes Film Festival.  So the movies did play at Cannes.

Really irritating - Ip Man Side Story: Cheung Tin Chi, aka Cheung Tin Chi, aka Master Z: Ip Man Legacy now has a new official title.  Today I found it listed on IMDB as Ip Man: Cheung Tin Chi.  Does that now make it another Ip Man misleading sequel?  Does someone want to officially change the title of this thread again?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I just saw this behind-the-scenes picture. I may be wrong but could that be Xiong Xin-Xin on the far right? He's not listed as being in the film but it certainly looks like him...

060117_wb3.jpg

Yeah that’s gotta be him! He was also in the unrelated Herman Yau Film Ip Man: The Final Fight

Any updates on this movie? I want to see it, hopefully it won't be a crapfest like Thousand Faces of Dunjia. 

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Ah_Tao said:

Any updates on this movie? I want to see it, hopefully it won't be a crapfest like Thousand Faces of Dunjia. 

Production ended ages ago. The films screened at Cannes. And yet there's been nothing since. Not even a trailer. I have no idea what's going on with the film, unless it got a bad reception at Cannes and needed re-shoots (which is rare) but it's definitely odd that only a handful of stills have been released and nothing else.

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Production ended ages ago. The films screened at Cannes. And yet there's been nothing since. Not even a trailer. I have no idea what's going on with the film, unless it got a bad reception at Cannes and needed re-shoots (which is rare) but it's definitely odd that only a handful of stills have been released and nothing else.

7 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Very likely they are waiting to release it during the Mid-Autumn Festival.

With the ongoing theme of Foreigners as the bad guys/villains as well as Nationality - that would be a good time for them to release it for the Chinese audience to make more money.

This film opens and closes the Busan Film Festival in South Korea this year. The festival starts on October 4th so, fingers crossed, it'll see a wide release shortly after.

WOW! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS FILM. I HOPE ITS NOT BAD AT ALL, BECAUSE THIS TRAILER BLEW MY MIND AWAY. RIGHT WHEN THEY SHOWED CHEUNG TIN CHI FIGHTING TONY JAA I WAS SOLD. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS BE A TRAGEDY LIKE THOUSAND FACES OF DUNJIA

I think the trailer is everything I wanted. The films looks vibrant and action-packed, even if the choreography seemed to stray away from what we know as typical on screen Wing Chun.

Michelle Yeoh looked better than ever and Dave Bautista looked to actually have some moves rather than just huge haymakers and bear hugs.

I’m excited.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:06 PM, reason108 said:

For me, it`s not about being surprised; I am just tired of having to watch the same lame-ass storyline in almost every new movie out of HK. It`s been done and done to death. It just helps to create hostility towards others of a different race.

And its not just HK either. Its a growing trend in Hollywood too, with movies advocating hate against white people with such movies as Blackkklansman, Get Out, Purge, The Foreigner, etc. Its all in bad taste imo.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:14 AM, whitesnake said:

No idea when Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (or whatever they're calling it now) gets released in the rest of the world, but it opens in Australia this December - https://screenanarchy.com/2018/07/hey-australia-herere-some-of-the-asian-films-coming-soon-to-a-cinema-near-you-gallery.html

Excellent. Don't know how I missed this post.

trailer looks good i  see tony jaa with the hat on at the beginning, lets hope they dont have  Dave Bautista  selling opium , getting really bored of that

16 hours ago, Koravec said:

And its not just HK either. Its a growing trend in Hollywood too, with movies advocating hate against white people with such movies as Blackkklansman, Get Out, Purge, The Foreigner, etc. Its all in bad taste imo.

God forbid you talk about it, then you're labeled a racist. I often complained about how the Ip Man and Wong Fei Hung movies are boring as they recycle the "evil white man." You don't respond to hate with more hate, meaning that you don't glorify "enslaving white people" because black people were enslaved years ago. People made up this ridiculous term called "reverse racism" which literally doesn't make any sense when it comes to its context. Racism is just racism. Spike Lee makes movies about black people and makes no money because he's lame as hell these days. I remember when he was mad because Quentin Tarantino made Django and nobody was watching Oldboy. He decided to call him a racist because he made a movie about "a black man killing slaveowners to save his wife." But yet, he makes Blackkklansman which is mostly about white people in the KKK.

I shouldn't even be making this post, but recent events in my life have gotten me so disgusted. It's gotten to the point where if you're totally disconnected from the media, you're "evil" and punished for it. It's cool to see someone agrees that the whole "white foreigner" thing is getting ridiculous. 

PS. I'm not white

Chinese cinema and its evil white villains is no different than western cinema and its fascination with Middle Eastern terrorists. Historically, white people were a blight on Eastern culture. They carry that with them and (justly) make white people their villains. It's historically apt.

12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Chinese cinema and its evil white villains is no different than western cinema and its fascination with Middle Eastern terrorists. Historically, white people were a blight on Eastern culture. They carry that with them and (justly) make white people their villains. It's historically apt.

I agree, but it gets redundant after a while, no matter what race it is. This looks like a beast movie, just like the rest of the Ip Mans. My only gripe is that the Batista fight looks lame as hell. Not only will we keep overusing the same elements, but we're not going to see more martial arts styles in play (Im looking at you Mike with that weird fight scene in Ip Man 3). Ip Man 2 worked perfectly because it was more believable that he almost lost to a more integrated fighting system. I would like to see more of that used CREATIVELY.

5 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I agree, but it gets redundant after a while, no matter what race it is. This looks like a beast movie, just like the rest of the Ip Mans. My only gripe is that the Batista fight looks lame as hell. Not only will we keep overusing the same elements, but we're not going to see more martial arts styles in play (Im looking at you Mike with that weird fight scene in Ip Man 3). Ip Man 2 worked perfectly because it was more believable that he almost lost to a more integrated fighting system. I would like to see more of that used CREATIVELY.

We’ve seen approximately 4 seconds of the Max Zhang/Dave Bautista fight. I think you’re being overly judgmental far too early. To say it looks “lame as hell” after seeing about two moves in the fight makes you seem overly critical.

But hey, I’m one of the few that liked the Mike Tyson fight in Ip Man 3.

As for the whole race thing, it’s never bothered me. I loved both 13 Hours and Lone Survivor so I have no beef with other countries vilifying white people. 

This might be far fetched but anybody here considering catching this at the Busan International Film Festival? There's also some other movies showing which could be of interest (i.e. Illang: The Wolf Brigade, The Witch: Part I The Subversion etc.). I always wanted to attend a Film Festival or at least experience part of it :wink

On 9/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, Drunken Monk said:

But hey, I’m one of the few that liked the Mike Tyson fight in Ip Man 3.

Me, too. It turned out better than I thought it would.

Archived