Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2018) - Max Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Kevin Cheng, Dave Bautista, Tony Jaa

AlbertV

Max Zhang is reprising his Ip Man 3 role of Wing Chun expert Cheung Tin-Chi in his own spinoff film to be directed by Yuen Woo-Ping.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

posteripman.jpeg

I'm a little concerned for this project, simply because it sounds so similar to "Ip Man 3". We saw Donnie take on a big westerner (Mike Tyson) and now we have Dave Bautista. We also saw him take on a Muay Thai fighter and Tony Jaa's going to be in this one.
Though the casting is similar, I hope they don't go the trope-ish route and give us something we haven't seen before. I'd love to see Michelle Yeoh doing some on screen hand-to-hand work. We haven't seen her do a non-weapons fight scene in a while.

Tony Jaa might be doing kung Fu instead of Thai boxing we will have to wait and see, don't think that big westerner thing is going to go away from Chinese movies.

Drunken Monk
27 minutes ago, rdenn said:

don't think that big westerner thing is going to go away from Chinese movies.

Good point. I think my expectations were set too high, considering we've already seen it in the "Ip Man" series...twice.

I want to guess the plot - Foreign devils are stealing Chinese treasure and only Max Zhang can save the day? Maybe I can make a living in HK writing scripts. I can start every story with "foreign devil...(does something horrible)...and honorable Chinese Hero saves the day". Wake me if they come up with a real plot for this film. Cant wait to find out what it will be. Should I expect Yuen Woo-ping to give us something better than CTHD 2: Sword of Stink? At least give us another True Legend. 

Interested to see if this happens after the events of Ip Man 3, or it's some kind of prequel.

I don't even understand why people are surprised.

Evil foreigners have been a thing since the first movie. Ip Man is just a pretty straightfoward movie series with very nuanced character played by Donnie.

Ip Man 3 is actually the most interesting for me because while Tyson's Frank is obviously an evil foreigner, he is clearly not represented to be as evil as Miura and most importantly Twister (i actually think Miura takes a lot of shit that he doesn't really deserve as far as foreigner conqueror goes). So he goes out of the movie midway through the movie, much like a certain northerner, and we get Ip Man's first full chinese final battle. Ip Man 3 also allows for a more humane vision of Ip Man who finally met a problem he can't chainpunch into oblivion.

Anyway, i understand why people prefer Ip Man 1 over the third, but i can't picture for the life of me why people prefer the second over the third. It's chinese Rocky IV but not as good.

Didn't Yen say they were tossing around the idea of Jaa being the main guy he fights? If Jaa is in an ipman spin off.. don't think that would work now 

Hong Kong movies are known for recurring same actors in different roles. Yen, for example, played a character in Tiger Cage and plays a different role in the sequel.

On 2017-03-24 at 4:47 AM, JetKinen said:

Ip Man 3 is actually the most interesting for me because while Tyson's Frank is obviously an evil foreigner, he is clearly not represented to be as evil as Miura and most importantly Twister (i actually think Miura takes a lot of shit that he doesn't really deserve as far as foreigner conqueror goes). So he goes out of the movie midway through the movie, much like a certain northerner, and we get Ip Man's first full chinese final battle. Ip Man 3 also allows for a more humane vision of Ip Man who finally met a problem he can't chainpunch into oblivion.

Anyway, i understand why people prefer Ip Man 1 over the third, but i can't picture for the life of me why people prefer the second over the third. It's chinese Rocky IV but not as good.

Totally agree. While part 2 is great in its' own way overall the nationalism gets out of hand after a while. At least part 3 culminates with the wife being the center of attention this time around making Yip Man do life decisions and realizing what matters most in the end.

On 3/23/2017 at 8:47 PM, JetKinen said:

I don't even understand why people are surprised.

Evil foreigners have been a thing since the first movie. Ip Man is just a pretty straightfoward movie series with very nuanced character played by Donnie.

For me, it`s not about being surprised; I am just tired of having to watch the same lame-ass storyline in almost every new movie out of HK. It`s been done and done to death. It just helps to create hostility towards others of a different race. And, no, China, the foreign devils do not want to steal your Chinese goodies; except maybe the women. :smile  And, we want access to the vaults of Fortune Star so that way we can properly remaster all the movies that they continue to screw up. So, ok, maybe we are after some of their goodies...but...still...

It made sense in the first movie that it would show Japan invading China as that was a part of history. Ip fled during the war and lost a lot, not any different than a lot of other people during that time. But, they just keep putting the Nationalistic theme in there when it is not needed. In my mind, it is lazy screen writing and they need better writers. The real problem is that Ip Man was never a nationalist hero. He was just a guy that was born into an upper middle-class family (or lower class rich family, depending on what source you read) and lived his life quietly learning and practicing wing chun. He never fought foreign devils for the sake of China. He was just a regular guy who was forced to become a wing chun instructor due to dire straits. The only reason he is well known today is because he was the teacher of Bruce Lee. 

I have no idea where they are going to take the next film. Perhaps they should have let it end with 3. But, money talks! The biggest problem with an ongoing series is that they want to continue turning him into a Nationalistic hero. He is the new Wong Fei-hung. But, I would prefer to get to know Ip as a person. He still has family and students that can provide details about him so we can learn something about the real human being. 

and, to tie this back into the movie with Max Zhang, what the hell are they going to do with him that has not been done with Donnie? I highly doubt that an audience will accept 2 wing chun master movie series. people will tire of it soon enough and it will end up hurting both franchises. my guess is that this movie with Max will have little to moderate success and will probably just be a one-off.

sifu iron perm
On 26/03/2017 at 3:25 AM, DiP said:
On 24/03/2017 at 3:47 AM, JetKinen said:

sammo hung kam-bo

On 7/6/2017 at 0:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

First image of Michelle Yeoh in the film...

19665193_10155470299634161_1773586115737179940_n.jpg

Well, that looks interesting!

DragonClaws

Thats a cool picture, just how many generations of action stars, has the talented Yuen Woo Ping seen over the years?.

Cheung Tin-Chi (2017) - Ip Man spinoff film starring Max Zhang

From the latest on cityonfire.com and Asian Film Strike, it looks like the latest movie title is Master Z: Ip Man Legacy.  Official plot from cityonfire.com - "After defeated by Ip Man, Cheung Tin Chi (Zhang) lives a depressed life and stays low profile. While Tin Chi tries to stay out of trouble, he gets himself into a fight with the foreigner Davidson (Bautista), big boss behind bar district. Tin Chi fights hard with Wing Chun and earns respect.

New poster from https://twitter.com/AsianFilmStrike -

DYpdDvOWkAEcgeR.jpg

New image of Dave Bautista from https://twitter.com/AsianFilmStrike  Bautista plays Davidson, the big boss of the bar district - 

DYqNZcnX0Ac54RY.jpg

Drunken Monk

We must be close to getting a trailer. As a side note, does anyone know where the "Master Z" comes from and they're using that in particular? After all, his name is Cheung Tin-Chi.

Master Z comes from the surname Zhang, which is the Mandarin iteration of Cheung. It’s still a horrible title, maybe they’re afraid people (especially Americans/westerners?) can’t pronounce Zhang. I hope it gets a new and better title!

I thought this movie came out already. Oh well, sometime this year then. I will give it a rental when it hits Netflix. Guess they couldn't convince Iron Mike to reprise his role? Right? God! What has happened to Chinese cinema? I guess this is what happens when you "go Hollywood"! 

Drunken Monk

This (and "Invincible Dragon") apparently played at Cannes last night but I haven't been able to find a single review online yet.

Archived