Inquire: Shaws release in non-clear cases?

thekfc

Hi folks.

Were there any of the Shaws released in a black slipcase?

I thought that all my Shaws were in a clear slipcase.

However, I was organizing my stuff yesterday and noticed that I have a few Shaws in a black slipcase. I tested 2 - “14 Amazons” and “Legend of the Bat”, neither are region free or ‘0” and they both appear to be “pressed” disc. Both are not in the “regular” black slipcase but a “harder” slipcase. I have 3 versions of 14 Amazons including the Funimation one so I never watched that version.

Back in the 2000’s, I would buy from different sources – Chinese stores (both HK & mainland - I have a few region 6 disc), Taiwanese stores, Thai stores which would include IVL, United, Deltamac, Zoke, etc,.  I also pickup stuff in my many travels. Back then stuff was plentiful and I had at least 2 region free dvd players so there were no need to buy region "0".

I haven’t gone thru everything yet so not sure what else is in a black slipcase.

Note: I am not referring to the later region “0” releases – Dragon Dynasty and the likes but the earlier region “3” & “6” releases.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a comparison scan of the covers of a real and a bootleg IVL in this thread:

The bootleg came in a standard amaray black case and it is region 3 locked.

1 hour ago, panku said:

I did a comparison scan of the covers of a real and a bootleg IVL in this thread:

The bootleg came in a standard amaray black case and it is region 3 locked.

I did a search but for some reason this thread didn't show.

I know all about the IVL being in a clear slip case. I was inquiring about the other companies releases as I really didn't keep up with them and I used to buy from all different sources. I did my best to try to avoid boots. On one of my trip to South East Asia in 2010, I did a short layover in Taiwan and got a few movies there (just don't remember which ones or if any were Shaws). 

I run the discs thru DVD Identifier, DVDinfoPro, ImgBurn & Nero Info Tool and neither programs gave me the impression that it was a "burned" disc.

The artwork is great - if it is a boot then they have a really good printer/copier to do such a good job. I would want one of those printers. 

When I get home I will check the code on the disc to see if I can do an identification.

After doing a more thoroughly investigation (inspection, code, etc,.), I think that I may have found a solution to mu inquire - kinda.

The 14 Amazons is a legit copy. I think it is a "repackaging", very likely the slip case may have broken and it was replaced/repacked.

Legend of the Bat -  I am not sure about. In addition to the Chinese & English subs, it also have Malay & Indonesian subs. A bit confuse and not sure where I got this one from, I have been to that part of the world but don't remember buying any movies there.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:54 PM, thekfc said:

Legend of the Bat -  I am not sure about. In addition to the Chinese & English subs, it also have Malay & Indonesian subs. A bit confuse and not sure where I got this one from, I have been to that part of the world but don't remember buying any movies there.

Many of the HK IVL DVD's came standard with Malay and Indonesian subs. I have roughly 36 of them. I don't know if it was something they started and then stopped, or whether they targeted which releases they would add them to.

Archived