THE CONDEMNED 1976

venoms5

THE CONDEMNED 1976 Act. ***1/2 Blood ***/ Movie ****1/2

Tsai Hung (Feng Dagang), David Chiang (Yang Lin), Ku Feng (Sheng Meng) Pai Ying (Lung Wen Shuan), Chan Shen (Liang), Wang Ching, Lily Li (Bao Ying), Lee Hai Sheng, Lu Feng, Sun Shu Pei (Kai), Robert Tai, Wei Pai, Yuen Chueng Yan, Tino Wong

Directed by David Chiang

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Spoiler

A gang of ruthless bandits terrorize villages taking what they want and killing the inhabitants. Feng Dagang, an Iron Palm student, is sent by his teacher to help quell the violence by joining up with another martial arts school to fight the marauding killers. The gang shows up shortly after Feng arrives wiping out all the students leaving Feng unconscious and framed for the massacre. The police arrive and take him away. Realizing who he is, the police captain sends one of his officers to find out if Feng is in fact a student of Chu Tien Le of the Iron Palm school. Chu's respectability will prove Feng's innocence. Meanwhile, a young thief named Yang Lin robs from rich men giving the money to the poor people. Having been caught a number of times, he steals from one of the bandit leaders who are all wealthy businessmen. Yang is incarcerated and placed in the same cell as Feng. The two soon become friends and ultimately break out of the prison. In an effort to take his girlfriend with him, Yang is captured by the bandit leaders. Feng goes back to save his friend and settle things with the vicious Sheng Meng.

One of a number of films directed by David Chiang (now known as John Chiang). A very curious and interesting martial arts thriller about an honorable warrior and an honorable thief joining forces to eliminate an evil group of thugs who, through rampant pillaging and murder, have risen to a state of some repute. Chiang is very successful in building his two main characters as well as creating some nasty villains. Chiang proved himself a capable director having previously directed A MAD WORLD OF FOOLS and THE DRUG ADDICT both 1974. His mentor, Chang Cheh monitored both of these but for THE CONDEMNED (1976), Chiang was on his own.

The opening 15 minutes are similar to any other kung fu film and the violence shows that Chang Cheh's influence is in evidence. Chang's grim style of action is most noticeable during the last twenty minutes which is one long kung fu battle after another and the level of violence reaches its peak. There's one especially squirm inducing scene in which Chiang utilizes a technique which was first seen in Sonny Chiba's THE STREET FIGHTER (1974). These scenes have a stronger punch not just because of the just desserts meted out to the villains, but because Director Chiang allows you to get to know the protagonists and antagonists and this finale is one of the most satisfying I've seen in a long time. The opening 15 and final 20 minutes are dominated by action while everything in between is given to the actors to strut their dramatic chops.

One of the most unusual aspects of the movie is the casting of Tsai Hung as the main hero. It's an odd choice but astonishingly, he does a fine job playing the hero. Tsai Hung shines in the acting department and his action scenes are equally impressive. His villainous roles in both SHAOLIN AVENGERS (1976) and FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS (1975) were memorable but here, he gets to display a better range and I suppose having a good chunk of the running time helps, too. His long and brutal battle against Ku Feng in his mansion is noteworthy.

Director Chiang plays the mischievous but good natured pickpocket, Yang Lin. In a unique twist, Chiang's character is no fighter but uses cunning to get himself out of jams. After his girlfriend is raped followed by her suicide, Yang finally fights back out of anger to avenge the defilement of his lover perpetrated by one of the bandits. While the final moments lack a typical Chang Cheh finish, the ending itself is dispiriting. Considering the police have their suspicions about Sheng and his colleagues, Feng and Yang have wiped out the entire gang and are summarily carted back to prison with the inmates overjoyed that Yang, a regular in prison, has returned once again. Feng and Yang look at each other despondently as they traverse the long corridor back to their cell.

Ku Feng delivers another sinister performance as Sheng Meng; a man who has a high position in the city in which he resides. After his arrest, Feng is the only man who can identify Sheng and the others after decimating Teacher Shu and his students at the beginning. Sheng goes to the prison and craftily gets a meeting with Yang. He pays Yang a great sum to murder his cellmate by poisoning him. Realizing at this point Feng must be a wrongfully accused man, he decides against poisoning him and instead frees him. Sheng is the first bad guy Feng confronts. I thought he'd be the final villain, but not so. That honor is reserved for Pai Ying. Pai was also in Chang Cheh's SEVEN MAN ARMY (1976) and a memorable villain in ROYAL WARRIORS (1986). Chan Shen plays a slimy rapist and Wang Ching completes the main four heavies. Lee Hai Sheng plays one of the main guards who tussles with Tsai Hung towards the end.

One of the most fun things about watching THE CONDEMNED (1976), is picking out all the familiar faces seen throughout the film's 104 minute running time. Lee Hai Sheng, Yuen Chueng Yan (the crazy drunken monk from 1983's SHAOLIN DRUNKARD) and Tino Wong play lackey's working for Ku Feng's character, Robert Tai and Chiang Sheng play students of the kung fu school that's attacked near the opening, Wei Pai is a policeman and Lu Feng and Sun Shu Pei feature in the films first 15 minutes as top students of the school Tsai Hung's character has been sent to help. They both get a handful of lines before exiting the movie.

A very entertaining Shaw Brothers movie and one that apparently didn't get much (if any) attention outside of Asia. It's a shame as it's a good action thriller with some good fight scenes, some innovative shots such as blood pouring down the camera lens and seeing bones being obliterated to simulate bodily destruction. A recommended movie for fans wanting to see something a slight bit different.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no freakin way! now im seriously intrigued.

maybe ive missed it; if not, u forgot to mention the man responsible for the action be the mighty TONG GAAI himself.... yay!

got "deadly knives" yesterday. not watched yet, but had some time to skip thru it a bit.

another one that looks to be a promising, maybe even classy ma-action-drama that doesnt get a lot if any word of mouth.

Not only Tang Chia but Huang Pei Chi also. And the action scenes aren't their usual acrobatics and flips. Aside from one finishing move from one of the villains, all the fights are grounded and resemble Liu Chia Liang's work.

Great to see credit for this gem. Agreed this is more than recommended. Come on Mr. Mungus, you can't let this bypass you; a very top of the pile lesser-mentioned Shaw flick. Ku Feng vs Tsai Hung is a tooooo good. Love those little lighting and blood touches in places. Wish Tsai Hung had starred in more Shaw leads. Got caught up in the cell (and other) drama for sure. Music in this flick very noteworthy, nice funky interludes. Solid and compulsive all 'round. Even brilliant.

There is some Morricone music lifted from another movie. I have the film I just can't place which one though. I'll be looking at THE IMPOSTER (1975) next starring another slew of Chang Cheh regulars. THE BIG HOLD UP (1975) is another well done, rarely mentioned film although it's more of a crime drama than action film.

Killer Meteor

Ammusingly, I read a review where the reviewer complained about the dubbing for Chiang's voice on this one...

Caught this one last week and though it was good. Nice to see David Chiang get has ass kicked a little bit. Anyone catch when Chang Shen knocked him out and carried him away how little he looked? Does David Chiang weight more than 100lbs?

Anyway one thing I that disapointed me was that Fengs master never came to straiten everything out. If you remember the cop sends someone to fetch his master and the whole plot line never comes up again. Especially since Ku Feng look concerned when he found out who Fengs master was in the begining of the film

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Here is a Shaw Brothers I have never seen or heard about.

The trailer look great.

Opinions?

Condemned+1976-1-b.jpg

GD Y-Y

The Condemned (1976)

Watched this again just last night. A lesser known Shaw production, worthy of repeat viewings, that features a great cast who work well together in an action packed film.

Director David Chiang has a leading role as a Robin Hood style mischievous rogue, unversed in Kung Fu, well known (even liked) by the local townsfolk and the authorities. Given his slight stature I found his portrayal of Yang Lin very believable. In my early SB viewing days, I struggled to accept how such a small man could be perceived as a fighting force against much bigger, stronger opponents (eg The Heroic Ones ). Of course, agility and skill are his strengths. Over time as my knowledge of the genre has grown, I now see him differently. Bigger isn't always better. However, in this Kung Fu film it was refreshing to see him play a character with few martial art skills. And he did so very well.

Other notable performances ; Ku Feng- a versatile character actor who has contributed immensely to the success of so many Shaw films. In fine form as Mr Sheng, and has a notable fight sequence ; Chan Shen- no disappointment here. True to form he plays a piece of human dreck of the lowest order (Mr Liang), his lustful eyes focused squarely on the lovely Baoying (Lily Li). The Cad! ; Lily Li- one of my favourite Shaw actresses, convincing as the chaste damsel, and girlfriend of Yang Lin; And lastly, Tsai Hung- the strong righteous Feng Dagang who befriends Yang Lin and impresses greatly with his fighting performance.

The film moves along briskly, action scenes interspersed with drama and character development, and occasional flashbacks to explain character motivation. The ending I found to be very poignant. They may return to a heroes welcome from the other inmates as they walk along the prison corridor, but the focus on the cold steel door of their cell is a metaphor for the reality facing our two lead characters. They may have rid the town of a corrupt gang, but in the eyes of the law they remain condemned. Both have lost their freedom, and for Yang Lin the personal cost is even higher.

Archived