Broken Sword Hero (2017)

ShaOW!linDude

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's him alright!

Description from the video:
“Legend of the Broken Sword Hero” (White-teethed Thong Dee), the latest historical action blockbuster from the highly-regarded director, Bin Bunluerit, tells the journey of “Joi” or “Thong Dee”, (Starred by “Bua Khaw Bunchamek”, world-renowned Muay Thai superstar in his first leading role), the loyal, relentless, brave, and talented fighter with unparalleled skills of Muay Thai and swordfight. Joi was given the alias of “white-teethed Thong Dee” as he did not like to eat “Maak” (raw betel nut Thai people chewed as gum-like snack in the ancient time, which turn the teeth black).

The story started at his young age which was a difficult one. Always bully by the son of the city governor, he ran away from home and grew up fighting for money. Betrayed by his promoter when he lost a fight, he travelled to various town to learn the martial arts of Muay Thai and sword fighting.
However, along his journey, he had become friends with “Bunkerd”, “Muay Lek”, and “Tuek. He picked up the Chinese style martial arts from a Chinese opera. After that, he learn the “Tha Sao” style of boxing and become one of the master boxer.

He had a chance to safe a group of noble ladies from a group of enemy soldiers and get to know a girl name “Ramyong”. They parted ways but hope someday they will meet again.
It turned out that Destiny and his famous acts brought Joi the opportunity to serve Taksin the Great, the group he saved are Lord Taksin’s family. He also met Ramyong’s uncle who already serve Taksin as his boxing master and found out that his lord who liberate and unite the Kingdom and became the King after the war. His honorable acts of sacrificing himself to defend his beloved country and his loyalty led him to be known by Thai people as “Phraya Phichai Dap Hak” (Lord Pichai of the Broken Sword).

ShaOW!linDude

Nabbed this at Walmart on Saturday.

Wow, this movie was underwhelming. I don't know. Maybe I was just tired last night. It was like somebody knew what they wanted to do, but didn't know how to do it. Buakaw goes around seeking all these different boxing masters, but then he never really learns anything from them before he's run off. The movie clocks in at 2 hours, which was 40 mins. too long. And that all would have been forgiveable if the action was on par. But it's not. It's some really basic stuff on display here. And it's meant to look brutal, but often doesn't. Don't get me wrong, there are moments of hard-hitting impact, but nothing on Tony Jaa's level. And the end seemed to just kind be a "oh, wow, so this is where this was going" kind of thing. Maybe it would have made more sense if I hadn't gotten so bored 45 mins. in and started ff'ing to the action.

I don't know. I was pretty beat last night. I'll hang onto it and at least check out the action again at some point just to be sure my initial sense isn't due to the Z Monster wasn't kicking my butt.

Archived