Tomb Raider (2018) - Alicia Vikander, Daniel Wu, Walton Goggins

AlbertV

Roar Uthaug is directing a reboot of the Eidos video game Tomb Raider, which had two live-action films in 2001 and 2003 with Angelina Jolie as adventurer Lara Croft.

Alicia Vikander, who last year won the Best Actress award at the Academy Awards, will be playing Lara this time around. Walton Goggins has been cast as the villain of the film. 

Today, it was announced that Daniel Wu has joined the cast in the role of Lu Ren, a ship captain who will help Lara on the quest to find her father, Lord Croft.

The film has been set for a March 16, 2018 release.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/tomb-raider-reboot-daniel-wu-1201958245/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the first on-set photo of Alicia Vikander in Tomb Raider as it looks like she is doing the obstacle course

first-photos-alicia-vikander-on-tomb-rai

Here are the first official photos of Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

ymQCOEP.jpg

Mlkw38f.jpg

Dominic West (Jigsaw in Punisher: War Zone) is playing Lord Croft (Lara's father) in the film.

Very average. Everything you like about Indiana Jones films, but not done nearly as well. I will say that it's a great big screen spectacle.  Vikander is perfect  casting as Lara Croft, aeons ahead of Jolie. There are one or two nice punch ups too, and I liked how they really showed the desperation of Lara fighting for her life.

4 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Very average. Everything you like about Indiana Jones films, but not done nearly as well. I will say that it's a great big screen spectacle.  Vikander is perfect  casting as Lara Croft, aeons ahead of Jolie. There are one or two nice punch ups too, and I liked how they really showed the desperation of Lara fighting for her life.

Sounds good enough for me. Might even catch it in cinemas. Any thoughts on Daniel Wu's performance?

1 hour ago, laagi said:

Sounds good enough for me. Might even catch it in cinemas. Any thoughts on Daniel Wu's performance?

He was good, though suffers from not really being given anything interesting to do.

DragonClaws
On 15/03/2018 at 3:50 PM, SamSeed said:

Vikander is perfect  casting as Lara Croft, aeons ahead of Jolie.

Not sure why they picked an American actress first time round? other than the fact her dad was in it too. Rhona Mitra would have been a better choice, though she didnt have the star power Angelina Jolie had at the time. Interesting that they picked a girl thats similar in physical build to Daisy Ridly, for the new film. Recall Jolie saying in an Interview, how they had to pad her bum and chest, so she looked more like the video game character.

Watched this friday in 4DX. I think the best selling point here is Alicia and her performance as Lara Croft. She's just extremely likeable.

Lara is taking a lot of punishment and I mean really a lot! However once that's over she's going to war. Probably the transition from being a survivor fighting for her life and turning into a stone cold killer is just too convenient. Also my sister who joined me couldn't help but notice a certain Katniss Everdeen vibe :laugh

The story is OK. I personally thought that the movie builds up nicely in the first half but then somehow rushes the other one. Especially the whole "Tomb Raiding" could have been so much better IMHO. There is one major twist, which I won't give away of course but it might raise an eyebrow or two.

Supporting cast is fine, although I didn't really get to like or connect to Lara's dad as much as I could or should have. Daniel Wu is criminally underused unfortunately. Walton Goggins as the villain is interesting; while ruthless you also feel some humanity within him.

The ending while not surprising is coming with a sledgehammer to introduce a possible sequel. Overall a flawed but entertaining reboot of a beloved game figure and franchise.

"Get ready for another Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander.  MGM and Warner Bros have hired Amy Jump to write the script for the sequel.  Sources say Vikander liked what she was in Jump's scripting."  According to IMDB, Amy Jump wrote High-Rise, A Field in England, Kill List, and the screenplay for Free Fire.  "The films are cult favorites in the UK.  She broadens the pool of female action writers, who are now in high demand."  News from https://deadline.com/2019/04/tomb-raider-sequel-mgm-warner-bros-amy-jump-write-script-1202594616/

Drunken Monk

I actually quite enjoyed the first one so I have my fingers crossed for the second one. I'm hoping they take all the wrong bits from the first film and correct them.

I found something really engaging about the opening bike race sequence. Nothing spectacular or out of field about the movie. Hit the marks to be a simple, forgettable popcorn flick.

But I enjoyed it for what it was. Im generally into ancient sets in this style of adventure movie (save for the awfully placed desert cave scene in Aquaman). Something about watching an attractive brunette lead just works for me lol, as it has for these newer Star Wars. 

Archived