Destruction Babies (2016)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Coming with the tag line of - "THE MOST EXTREME 108 MINUTES IN JAPANESE CINEMA HISTORY!" - chances are whoever made this statement likely hasn't seen that many Japanese movies.

This will be coming out on DVD on April 10th in the UK thanks to Third Window Films.

http://thirdwindowfilms.com/films/destruction-babies

@Takuma - Have you seen this one?

Distraction_Babies-p1.jpg

(Note in the Japanese website URL the title is listed as 'Distraction Babies', not 'Destruction Babies' - Japanese lost in translation moment, or re-titled for a Western audience?)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

@Takuma - Have you seen this one?

Nope. Someone asked me the same question a few weeks ago and I replied "a few years ago I would have probably watched that. Now I'm just sick and tired of Japanese indie and handsome young actors playing gritty violent roles. I've seen the trailer a few times and it just doesn't spark my curiosity. Maybe the film is better."

Now that TWF is releasing it I'd like to believe the film is indeed better than my first impressions based on the trailer.

Maybe I was being too pessimistic to begin with. 2015 really depressed me. But I just saw Scoop (2016) which restored a bit of my faith in new JP cinema. Now I feel like checking out some films I missed last year.

• Like 2

I went ahead and watched this. In a nutshell: violence is a disease; repeat 25 times over 108 minutes. Or, Yûya Yagira picking up fights with random people and Masaki Suda getting his kicks out of it. Something rotten in our society.

Many people have given this high marks. Kinema Junpo voted it as the 4th best JP film of 2016. I felt it had its moments, but frankly had hard time making it to the end. Perhaps I missed something. I felt the film had a message, but very, very little else.

The tagline "The most extreme 108 minutes in Japanese cinema history" is half-accurate not in terms of how graphic it is, but in terms of how long the violence goes on.

• Like 2

Watched it and I'm not sure what to make of it. There's something about it I can't really pinpoint at the moment. It's very well filmed that's for sure. And the violence on display has a raw and real feel. No fancy choreography just bare knuckle brawling. But there's no story or explanation to what you're watching. The director pretty much just bashes you in the face and leaves you laying in your own blood. Nobody there to hold your hand and accompany you for the 108 minutes runtime. I tend to actually having enjoyed this for some unknown reason. There's something fresh and maybe at times disturbing about it. Recommended.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3