The Martial Arts Kid 2: Payback - What Could Have Been

AlbertV

Pre-production is underway for The Martial Arts Kid 2: Payback, which brings back Don "The Dragon" Wilson as Space Coast Dojo owner Glen and Cynthia Rothrock as Glen's wife, Cindy. One can only guess that both Jansen Panettiere is coming back as Robbie and Matthew Ziff as Bo Whitlaw. After all, the original film ended on a cliffhanger and it is expected that Chuck Zito will return as Bo's father, Frank Whitlaw, who seeks retaliation after the events of the first film.

Cynthia Rothrock recently took to Facebook to announce a casting call in Santa Clara, CA set for March 18 for auditions for the film. Here is a photo with writer/director Michael Baumgarten, producer James WilsonDon "The Dragon" Wilson, and Rothrock.

14962524_10154685609762241_7834046270444

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure we had a thread for this already, but I couldnt find while using the search function. Assume it was a casuality of the forum black-out?.

More detials over World Film Geek, Link- https://worldfilmgeek.com/2016/10/12/the-martial-arts-kid-is-returning-for-round-2/

And a recent interview about the movie, with Don Wilson's brother James, Link- http://theactionelite.com/2017/10/james-wilson-talks-the-martial-arts-kid-2/

Loads of cast members from the original are returning, both lead and supporting. 

Sasha Mitchell will also be joining the film as an ally to Frank Whitlaw, making him a villain in the film. 

I'm guessing both R. Marcos Taylor and Billy R. Smith will be playing new roles in the film, but not sure. 

A new IndieGoGo campaign is set to begin on January 15, 2018 for extra funds involving the film. 

http://martialartskid2payback.com/

In the 80's and 90's there were quite a few Martial Arts movie, aimed at a family audience. Movies that are not so common now in the genre. Which is why its nice to see this team of actors/filmakers/writers have a go at making a sequel to one.

Crowfunding has officially started, a message from Don Wilson and Cynthia Rothrock.

My only question about this is...does this mean Lenny, Robbie's friend from the original film, is the new Martial Arts Kid? I don't see Jansen Panettiere on the current cast list. Does anyone have confirmation about it?

kingofkungfu2002
9 hours ago, AlbertV said:

My only question about this is...does this mean Lenny, Robbie's friend from the original film, is the new Martial Arts Kid? I don't see Jansen Panettiere on the current cast list. Does anyone have confirmation about it?

I believe that is correct.

Still haven't seen the first one (did it make it to the UK?) That's a seriously impressive cast, I mean Benny the Jet alone!

On 1/16/2018 at 11:38 AM, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I've just contributed, as I did for the first one. :smile

I made a donation this morning as well :)

On 18/01/2018 at 10:57 PM, SamSeed said:

Still haven't seen the first one (did it make it to the UK?)

There's no U.K release of the first movie that I'm aware of. @kingofkungfu2002 is probably the best person to ask in regards to getting hold of a copy of this. I don't think its a title you can just pick up on Amazon?.

Full Casting updates as to who will return and newcomers, courtesy of https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-martial-arts-kid-2-payback#/updates/all    :

Returning

• Don "The Dragon" Wilson as Glen
  • Cynthia Rothrock as Cindy
  • Brandon Tyler Russell as Lenny (The "new" Martial Arts Kid, replacing Jansen Panettiere's Robbie)
  • T.J. Storm as Coach Laurent Kaine
  • Matthew Ziff as Bo Whitlaw
  • Chuck Zito as Frank Whitlaw
  • Grandmaster Glenn C. Wilson (he appeared as himself in the original)
  • Christine Bannon-Rodrigues (she appeared as herself in the original)
  • Natasha Blasick as Nika (Coach Kaine's girlfriend)
  • Carl Van Meter as Karl (assistant instructor at Glen's Space Coast Dojo)
  • Billy R. Smith as Derek (fought Kaine at Dojo Extreme)
  • Crystal Santos as Malena
  • R. Marcos Taylor as Big Mac (bike store bully in the original)
  • Kayley Stallings as Katie (Glen and Cindy's daughter)
  • Jody Nolan as Raymond (member of Dojo Extreme)
  • Lorraine Ziff as Peggy (the owner of the Gas n' Go)
  • Nassim Lahrizi as Hazma (member of Space Coast Dojo)
  • Gerry Blanck (as himself)
  • Olando Rivera (as himself)

New (roles unknown at this time)

• Sasha Mitchell
  • Benny "The Jet" Urquidez
  • Bill "Superfoot" Wallace
  • Oso Tayari Casel
  • Sabumnin Zimmer
  • Vince Cecere
  • Tara Cardinal
  • John Hunt
  • Anita Clay
  • Melissa Tracy
  • Jonathan Daniel Lee
  • Traci Lynn Cowan
  • Neil Farber
  • Hamid Lahrizi
  • John Kreng
  • Reed Sanders
  • Mark Richard Goldman
  • Sage Croft

This post will be updated when more casting is listed.

We are now over $38,000 on Indiegogo for THE MARTIAL ARTS KID 2: PAYBACK! We want to THANK the newest supporters for helping us. THANK YOU Amanda Wyss, Sergio Abuelo Roberto Trenzado, Shawn Eric Forsberg, Jamal amani, Askar Toktarov and Stephen M LaBar Jr! THANK YOU ALL! We appreciate it greatly.

The above quote is from the following FaceBook page.

DragonClaws

If you can spare some cash this month, then show your support for the Martial Arts Kid 2.

With all stuff Amazon and Netflix are fundig at the moment, you'd think they would fund something like this too?. Do we really need another Adam Sandler comedy from NetFlix?.

Follow Don Wilson on Twitter, for more up-dates on the movie.

Link- https://twitter.com/ddragonw?lang=en

james-lew-cynthia-rothrock-don-wilson.jp

Drunken Monk
On 3/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, DragonClaws said:

With all stuff Amazon and Netflix are fundig at the moment, you'd think they would fund something like this too?. Do we really need another Adam Sandler comedy from NetFlix?.

Wasn't the first one hot garbage though? I think Netflix and Amazon are trying to stick their names on projects that might seem good at least. Even if they're not ("Altered Carbon" I'm looking at you).

kingofkungfu2002
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Wasn't the first one hot garbage though? I think Netflix and Amazon are trying to stick their names on projects that might seem good at least. Even if they're not ("Altered Carbon" I'm looking at you).

No, the 1st one was very well received actually, and won a bunch of awards.

Drunken Monk
23 minutes ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

No, the 1st one was very well received actually, and won a bunch of awards.

I stand corrected. It has a 7.5 rating on IMDB whch I hadn't checked before. After scanning some reviews I realize now that the first film was apparently a very good family film with an excellent message.

Archived