Chasing the Dragon (2017) - Donnie Yen, Andy Lau

DiP

Definitely! I plan to check it out next Friday since it's playing only an hour away! I wasn't prepared to drive to Chicago for this one, especially since I'm going there this weekend and I just got back from going to Toronto for the disappointment Manhunt

• Like 1

It was a pretty good film overall, Donnie Yen was pretty good in most  of the scenes, and Andy was pretty solid in his performance too. It was well paced and engaging throughout. Now obviously it's a gangster epic, not a martial arts film, so only expect brawls and gunplay more or less. There were a couple of moments where Yen started to let loose, but it was kept brief. Overall, I was hoping for more of a full-blown heroic bloodshed style end, but it's still a good watch and worth buying. 3.5-4/5

• Like 4

Some reviews out there are praising Yen's acting while others are heavily criticizing the movie for being too PRC-restricted in how the movie portrays both Ng Sek-Ho and Lui Lok (both being criminals on both sides of the law) in a positive light. Either way, this movie looks like it will deliver. Thanks for the pointer.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I enjoyed this film. Donnie gets to show he doesn't need to always showcase his martial arts prowess and proves he can pull off a dramatic performance and Andy Lau, having played Lee Rock before in Lawrence Lau's 1991 2-part film series, naturally put himself back in the role of the corrupt police officer. It seems like with the exception of one character, the major players in the film are all bad to a point. The one thing I laughed at is the cameo appearance by Philip Ng as Chubby's top fighter. Its not because of the fight between Ng and Yen in this small clip, but it's because Ng sports the funniest looking wig I've seen in a long time. Other than that, I give it a solid B+

• Like 4

TheFlyingPanda
On 10/9/2017 at 12:41 PM, Ronin said:

The Silver Spleen did not enjoy this film 

Wow, He took a giant turd on this film. lol I still enjoyed it.  

• Like 2

whitesnake

Chasing the Dragon is the first in a planned crime trilogy from Wong Jing and Jason Kwan.  Second in the trilogy is Master of Ransom, with Tony Leung Ka Fai, Louis Koo, Gordon Lam, and Simon Lam.  New teaser poster from Twitter - Asian Film Strike - 

Dcqs94_XkAAaG9g.jpg

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

Surprisingly a very solid effort. Probably, the first time I was actually impressed with Donnie's acting skills. Andy Law was great, so smooth and charismatic

Nice cameos, the world of old HK, gang wars, corruption, ICAC...Wong Jing still manages to deliver some of the best HK movies

Nostalgic, melodramatic bromance with "righteous" criminals as main heroes and quite enjoyable at that 

(Lee Rock trying escape from Kowloon's labyrinth sequence alone worth the admission price)

• Like 2