Final Fu Films of 2016

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

This might be fun. As the wife was working tonight, and the girls are situated in their room enjoying the new (though smaller) flat screen Santa brought, I took the opportunity to enjoy some MA movies as odds are I won't get a chance to watch any until New Year's Day. I'm curious as what some of you may be indulging in for your last Kung Fu flicks of the year.

First, I went with Dragons Forever starring the 3 Dragons: Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, & Yuen Biao. Plot-wise there was a lot I'd forgotten at this film as it's been ages since I've watched it. This movie is a classic for good reason because the interaction between Chan, Hung, & Biao is so great. My only qualm as a whole with the movie is that Sammo wasn't really included action-wise in the finale. There's a moment where it seems that he and Yuen Wah, the villain, are about to throwdown, but it's played for a little comedy instead. Ah well. His fights throughout the film are fun, and as always JC is a treat to watch, especially with another end fight against Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez. I know many are more partial to their fight in Wheels On Meals, but I can't play favorites. Both are golden screen fights. However, it is Biao who stands out for me both as the paranoid character and for his amazing acrobatic fighting.

I ended with Broken Path starring Johnny Yong Bosch and Dan Southworth with fights and stuntwork choreographed by Alpha Stunts. The plot and acting are no great shakes, but it's 90 minutes of breakneck fight scenes all performed by only 6 players, and it is insane. It borders on overkill. There is a variety of fight sequences that just dazzle you as fan of the genre, full of killer choreography, lots of falls, and great impacts. I am absolutely glutted now. It's a shame JYB isn't a bigger star in action films. (He actually does a large amount of voice-over work for anime shows.) The guy has amazing skills. This is a difficult film to come by, but you can easily score a copy of an earlier film he did with Alpha Stunts titled Extreme Heist aka Wicked Game. Some great choreography in that, and he gets to utilize his comedic chops, too. Cracks me up in places.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

This might be fun. As the wife was working tonight, and the girls are situated in their room enjoying the new (though smaller) flat screen Santa brought, I took the opportunity to enjoy some MA movies as odds are I won't get a chance to watch any until New Year's Day.

You mean a whole 1 day later!?  Dude, I don't know how you're going to pull through.:tongueout

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

This is a difficult film to come by, but you can easily score a copy of an earlier film he did with Alpha Stunts titled Extreme Heist aka Wicked Game.

I'd say it used to be.  For the longest time the only release of it was a South African DVD that was hard to find online, but since it hit UK DVD in 2012 under the re-title of 'Broken Fist', it's now readily available through all the usual outlets.

On a side-note, I'll be interviewing one of the assassins from the movie, Sonny Sison, early next year.  He's currently hard at work choreographing the upcoming 'Iron Fist' Marvel series, the Mark Dacascos movie 'Breach', and Erik Matti's latest 'Buy Bust'.

I've also had some spare time to play with (re: home alone) during the festive period, so after spending the last few months watching (and reviewing) a number of new releases, I've taken the opportunity to get back into some old-school goodness.

First up was 'Challenge of the Lady Ninja' from 1983, directed by Lee Tso Nam.  I gave it the full review treatment here - 

http://cityonfire.com/challenge-of-the-lady-ninja-1983-review-chinese-super-ninja-2/

Also got through watching Bruce Le's last onscreen action performance last night, with 1990's 'Black Spot'.  Currently mid-way through writing a review for that one.

& while I'm on a roll, plan to watch the early Golden Harvest, Sammo Hung choreographed 'Tiger of Northland' later on today.

9 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

First, I went with Dragons Forever starring the 3 Dragons: Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, & Yuen Biao. Plot-wise there was a lot I'd forgotten at this film as it's been ages since I've watched it. This movie is a classic for good reason because the interaction between Chan, Hung, & Biao is so great. My only qualm as a whole with the movie is that Sammo wasn't really included action-wise in the finale. There's a moment where it seems that he and Yuen Wah, the villain, are about to throwdown, but it's played for a little comedy instead. Ah well.

Love this movie, maybe Yuen Wah and Sammo felt they couldnt top their Eastern Condors showdown from the previouse year?. One of my favorite scenes is when Yuen Biao is talking to the crooks robbing his phychartrist.

Only watched two Martial Arts movies over the festive period, The Black Dragons Revenge and the 80s action classic Tiger On The Beat. Mainly being watching a lot of non Fu related shows and movies with my girlfriend, which has been a nice break. Thats said I hope to squeeze some more martial arts related movies in before New Yeas day.

I get the day to myself tomorrow so, as well as planning a second watch of "Sicario" (I was drunk during my first viewing. Not a good film to be drunk during), I'm planning on squeezing in a kung fu film or two before the year ends. One I have in mind is "Shaolin Prince" and I might give "Shanghai Express" another watch.

@ShaOW!linDude "Broken Path" is one of those films that makes me feel physically exhausted at the end. It's just non-stop. I agree with you that, in a way, some of it is overkill, but the action of display is just so fine, it's hard to hold it against the film as a whole.

ShaOW!linDude
9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

You mean a whole 1 day later!?  Dude, I don't know how you're going to pull through.:tongueout

Me neither. I'm jonesing just thinking about it.:doh

9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'd say it used to be.  For the longest time the only release of it was a South African DVD that was hard to find online, but since it hit UK DVD in 2012 under the re-title of 'Broken Fist', it's now readily available through all the usual outlets.

Interesting. I know it's also listed as Attack of the Yakuza on IMDb. The South African dvd was expensive, too, I believe. That and the fact I didn't have an all-region player at the time kept me from purchasing it then, but I'd hunt for it every so often to see if there was a US release and it just never happened...which is baloney. Well, hopefully with its availability now, more genre fans will have a go at it.

4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

"Broken Path" is one of those films that makes me feel physically exhausted at the end. It's just non-stop. I agree with you that, in a way, some of it is overkill, but the action of display is just so fine, it's hard to hold it against the film as a whole.

Agreed. Once it kicks in, it's just a big long fight fest. I think it helps that the villains are garish and freaky-looking, too. I know it was a lot of work for those guys, but I bet they had a ton of fun. And I want to thank you again, @Drunken Monk, for hooking me up with a copy of this a few years back. I still really dig the action in this.

masterofoneinchpunch

Two modern films with No Tears for the Dead (which has some nice MMA oriented choreography) and Dog Bite Dog which doesn't technically count and is about as fun as setting your nostril hairs while they are in your nose on fire (you can take this as a negative or positive depending on how masochistic you are; though when I finish it I will have seen every film in the Dragon Dynasty library).

One Armed Boxer
17 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Interesting. I know it's also listed as Attack of the Yakuza on IMDb. The South African dvd was expensive, too, I believe. That and the fact I didn't have an all-region player at the time kept me from purchasing it then, but I'd hunt for it every so often to see if there was a US release and it just never happened...which is baloney. Well, hopefully with its availability now, more genre fans will have a go at it.

Yeah the South African DVD is the one I have, bare bones but as you say, it was a movie worth putting in the leg work to track down.  It'd be nice if the UK DVD turned more fans onto it, but with a cover like this, who knows. - 

510jITe71bL._SY300_.jpg

10 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Two modern films with No Tears for the Dead (which has some nice MMA oriented choreography)

I thought this was a decent enough follow-up to 'The Man from Nowhere', just dug up my review, which I wrote back when it came out in 2014 - 

http://cityonfire.com/no-tears-for-the-dead-2014-review/

Dog Bite Dog which doesn't technically count and is about as fun as setting your nostril hairs while they are in your nose on fire (you can take this as a negative or positive depending on how masochistic you are

A depressing movie, but it's so ferociously intense that I have to say I'm a fan.  It put Soi Cheang on the map (I'd say this was my favourite movie of his before the release of 'SPL2: A Time for Consequences'), and was a punch in the gut when it came out in the wasteland of HK cinema that was 2006.  It was really Edison Chen's last hurrah, a couple of years later the photo scandal came out and effectively wiped him off the map, however he does a fantastic job here playing against type.  The only part that really let the movie down was the finale with the baby, which seemed like a bit of a stretch, but otherwise it's a relentlessly brutal ride from start to finish.

when I finish it I will have seen every film in the Dragon Dynasty library).

Wow...so that means you've even sat through 'Dragon Squad'?  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.:tongueout

11 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Dog Bite Dog which doesn't technically count and is about as fun as setting your nostril hairs while they are in your nose on fire (you can take this as a negative or positive depending on how masochistic you are; though when I finish it I will have seen every film in the Dragon Dynasty library).

I always find it amusing that the Brazilian DVD for this movie has "From the Special FX team of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on the cover.

15 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Two modern films with No Tears for the Dead (which has some nice MMA oriented choreography) and Dog Bite Dog which doesn't technically count and is about as fun as setting your nostril hairs while they are in your nose on fire (you can take this as a negative or positive depending on how masochistic you are; though when I finish it I will have seen every film in the Dragon Dynasty library).

I enjoyed both of these movies. I even double dip on No Tears For The Dead plus I was it in the Theater.

I also have all the Dragon Dynasty releases (some both the single & box sets) but have yet to watch them all (maybe about 50%) as I either have other studio releases or have previously seen them.

My son and I are watching Police Story II right now, part of the Jackie Chan 8-Film Collection DVD I bought earlier this year. The kids and I are going to watch some Super Sentai films tonight:

Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger vs. Abaranger - the 2004 team-up between Dekaranger (SPD) and Abaranger (Dino Thunder) and then, Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger: The Movie, which I was able to get from TV-Nihon fansubbed. 

danthemandmv

The last few I got to watch were ''JUDGE ARCHER'', ''THE LOST BLADESMAN'' & ''REIGN OF ASSASSINS''. I really enjoyed 'em, I have to say!

I haven't been watching any films recently, but I have been making my way through the 1983 version of Legend of the Condor Heroes which is considered by fans to be the best TV adaptation of the source material to date. I haven't watched any other adaptation so I'm not sure if this is true though. I'll probably review it at some point but here are a few thoughts:

I'd recommend the show based on the story alone. There's plenty of action - not amazing by any stretch, but because it comes alongside 59 episodes of character work, some of the fights between characters have much more weight. The general consensus though is that the series is carried by the chemistry between our two leads and while I don't fully agree, their chemistry is undeniably amazing.

But in order to enjoy these kind of wuxia dramas, you're gonna need a decent tolerance for some annoying characters, non-consequential fights, coincidental plot points, shoddy and cheesy production values, plot twists that are simply shrugged off, characters that do things for the flimsiest of reasons and a whole bunch of other silly things. This one is definitely no exception. They also tend to have heaps of important characters with a bunch of different plot threads that sometimes intertwine and if you're not good with Chinese names, it can be easy to forget who is who.

Overall a fun show despite it's numerous problems. I'll do some sort of write up on this at some point down the line and maybe it'll help bring more of you guys into watching martial arts TV shows as well as movies.

masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:33 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Yeah the South African DVD is the one I have, bare bones but as you say, it was a movie worth putting in the leg work to track down.  It'd be nice if the UK DVD turned more fans onto it, but with a cover like this, who knows. - 

I thought this was a decent enough follow-up to 'The Man from Nowhere', just dug up my review, which I wrote back when it came out in 2014 - 

http://cityonfire.com/no-tears-for-the-dead-2014-review/

A depressing movie, but it's so ferociously intense that I have to say I'm a fan.  It put Soi Cheang on the map (I'd say this was my favourite movie of his before the release of 'SPL2: A Time for Consequences'), and was a punch in the gut when it came out in the wasteland of HK cinema that was 2006.  It was really Edison Chen's last hurrah, a couple of years later the photo scandal came out and effectively wiped him off the map, however he does a fantastic job here playing against type.  The only part that really let the movie down was the finale with the baby, which seemed like a bit of a stretch, but otherwise it's a relentlessly brutal ride from start to finish.

Wow...so that means you've even sat through 'Dragon Squad'?  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.:tongueout

Yes Dragon Squad aka Dragon Heat (on the DD label) is the worst of the DD releases.  Of course Bey Logan's involvement in DD was the big reason it was released under that label.  I lend out films a lot.  I have never lent that movie out (though I did buy my brother a copy which I believe remains unwatched).

By far my favorite Soi Cheang Pou-soi films is Accident (though the amount of retakes Johnnie To had him do was quite high.)  I wanted to get to Dog Bite Dog before SPL2 which I'll watch within the next couple of months.  

I wasn't so keen on Dog Bite Dog.  I liked the cinematography, acting for the most part; but the over-relentlessness became unfortunately too predictable and hurt the plot for me.  For me when you go overboard and do not balance it out it becomes less of an emotional experience for me.  Probably why I feel more from Sansho the Bailiff (the great ending) or Make Way for Tomorrow (one of the saddest endings.)

Being a fan of The Man From Nowhere I had to watch No Tears for the Dead. (just read your review right now; my rating was 7/10 so not too different)  A solid, if not quite as good of a film to me as the previous one.

One Armed Boxer
On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

& while I'm on a roll, plan to watch the early Golden Harvest, Sammo Hung choreographed 'Tiger of Northland' later on today.

Finally got around to a review for this one!  For those interested, check it out here -

http://cityonfire.com/tiger-of-northland-1976-review/

Archived