Ashura Demon Slayer

Guest limubai2000

Guest limubai2000

I grabbed this on a whim and ended up liking film. The premise was good and the action and acting were well done. The CGI wasn't great but it was passable.

I was particularly impressed with the clever dialogue in the film and thought some of it was quite brilliant!

Don't get me wrong, Twilight Samurai or When Last Sword Is Drawn this ain't. But it's good in it's own way.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jushinshin

I liked it a whole lot as well, especially the M.C. Escher-esque castle at the end of the movie.

It's hard to believe that a movie as fast paced as Ashura was done by the same guy who made the insanely slow Onmyoji movies. Go figure.

Guest Daisho2004

Ashura:

Synopsis:

aka: Ashura-jo no Hitomi

Ichikawa Somegoro stars as Izumo, a retired demon queller who now passes his time as a kabuki actor in nineteenth century Edo. After accidentally killing a child, Izumo swore never to draw his sword again, but evil is afoot and a conspiracy is in full swing to awaken the powerful demon queen Ashura. Can Izumo really stand back and watch the demons take over the World, or will he join the fight once more and battle the forces of evil?

The beautiful Bizan (Kanako Higuchi) plots to wreck havoc in old 19th century Edo to bring the evil Queen Ashura back to life. Who can stop them? Not Sakura and the Flower Brigade (which would have been cool), but an elite government force dedicated to defending the capital from demons. Yojiro Takita's fantasy/martial arts epic is a film version of the hit kabuki play. The film even stars Somegoro Ichikawa ("Koi no Mon"), a kabuki actor reprising his stage role as the demon-slaying hero. It's a clever blend of everything from horror to comedy to drama, it's targeted to a young adult and teen audience. Kabuki Theatre normally uses an all-male cast, even in the female roles, but the director wisely chose the beautiful Rei Miyazawa ("Twilight Samurai") as the love interest. Takita previously directed the samurai drama "Mibugishiden" (2003) and the period fantasy "Onmyoji" (2001) and its sequel "Onmyoji 2" (2003).

I had posted this a while back and I got to watch this movie and I enjoyed it, it had some good action.

Archived