Bruce's Deadly Fingers Blu-Ray

saltysam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
24 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Sounds OK, I hope they lay off the DNR in the future.

What is DNR short for dude?.

digital noise reduction. scrub away the grain and ifilm can look in parts like an oil painting

i'm leaning towards keeping the german as it clearly contains the most complete version of the movie. I know the deleted scenes are on the VCI as an extra but it's rather lazy of them not to seamlessly branch them into the feature. I'll have to ponder some more.

De Ming Li

My copy is also on the way, but yeah the DNR and especially the missing scenes are quite disappointing. The Michael Worth commentary though is a big advantage over the very good German release.

i've decided to keep the German version and sell on the VCI. I'lm not a big listener of commentary tracks though i will give this one a listen. Not branching the deleted scenes into the movie is the clincher for me.

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, saltysam said:

Not branching the deleted scenes into the movie is the clincher for me.

Michael Worth put up a post on his Twitter page, asking fans what they thought he should do, inserts the shots into the movie, or add thm as extras.

Guess he hadmore support for them as extras, but I understand where you are coming from.

Either way, this looks like a really good release, few things are perfect, and after years of cut/full screen murky version's, this is a huge improvement.

29 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Michael Worth put up a post on his Twitter page, asking fans what they thought he should do, inserts the shots into the movie, or add thm as extras.

Guess he hadmore support for them as extras, but I understand where you are coming from.

Either way, this looks like a really good release, few things are perfect, and after years of cut/full screen murky version's, this is a huge improvement.

it's a fine release and if i hadn't seen the german version first it wouldn't have bothered me. Now i have it would irritate me knowing there's a longer version out there. If you look at the original rear cover it actually states that there would be two versions of the film on the disc. I'm not sure about the voting thing, i'm guessing VCI decided to cut corners.

DragonClaws

Thanks @rockshockpop We are trying to find the best available material to get these the best we can. Look for some new changes coming with future releases. - Micheal Worth Twitter

Killer Meteor

DVNR aside, I'm quite pleased with this release. The ending is finally back in place, the commentary is very entertaining, and the bonus trailers are the best chocolate icing!

VCI, as ever, could do with learning basic disc authoriing. As with their 2001 DVD of City of the Dead, when the film ends, the disc doesn't return to the main menu, but stops!

Squid Lips

The DNR will be reduced in future releases.  This particular film is a sort of precursor to what will be a series of restored Kung Fu film classics.  The next two releases are already being scanned and even though there are a few Bruceploitation films coming from VCI (some amazing titles coming out from another label later in the year), the focus will be on Kung Fu films in general from the 70s and 80s.

The deleted scenes were a consideration to keep in the feature, but because the quality is so much lower and of course not in the same English dub, it was decided to just include the footage (minus the Way of the Dragon footage for legal reasons) in an extra feature.  But, if these early films prove successful, you will see more effort and support going into future films.

bruceleeclones

I emailed VCI several times in the months leading to the release of Bruce's Deadly Fingers and offered to help not only promote the release but also supply the original mandarin language track for the blu ray and heard nothing.  

Squid Lips

VCI actually had access to the Mandarin track for FINGERS but redoing the subs and marrying the audio was not on the budget list for that release.  If sales are good on this, the forthcoming releases (including at least one other Bruce Li film in the near future) will have some more options as well as a potential re-release of this down the line with some exclusive interviews with cast and crew.  

In some cases there is a choice with these films to upres for instance an English dubbed version that is not an original aspect ratio but allows other language tracks to be integrated or in the case of a couple upcoming films use an original healthy 35mm print (in some cases a scope 16mm) to do a brand new scan which is more preferable I think to most, even if we lose an audio track option.

bruceleeclones

Adding additional language tracks is something that fans are doing for free on unofficial releases, and is something that can be done on a home laptop.  Pretty lazy of a company who apparently have access to an original language not put the extra effort in.  Hell, I would have synced it up for free if they asked.   

Tex Killer
11 minutes ago, bruceleeclones said:

Adding additional language tracks is something that fans are doing for free on unofficial releases, and is something that can be done on a home laptop.  Pretty lazy of a company who apparently have access to an original language not put the extra effort in.  Hell, I would have synced it up for free if they asked.   

Maybe it`s about money? Certain american cult movie label rarely include subs to their releases or foreign audio track as they would need to pay extra cash for rights holders....

Just happy these films are getting released. Any clues to what future releases may be?

Squid Lips
On 5/26/2018 at 3:28 AM, Tex Killer said:

Maybe it`s about money? Certain american cult movie label rarely include subs to their releases or foreign audio track as they would need to pay extra cash for rights holders....

You nailed it Tex. The fan made projects can protect almost anything they do as not for profit fan made efforts. But these people working under taxable companies have a lot more to invest and to lose making these films. People that don't do this for a living think along one line while the truth is a lot more involved. But Fingers is just the start  I know several new titles are brand new scans and restorations paying attention to not overdue any digital work  

At a minimum thousands of dollars are invested in these efforts and sometimes an added "wish list" item for fans can be thousands if not tens of thousands more in rights and efforts. Can tell you right now being a fan is s good thing as the effort and money going into some upcoming releases has never been greater. Companies like VCI and a few others with people like Worth, the actual filmmakers and securing legit rights snd the best material available (a big challenge as so much is lost, damaged or being hoarded) are making an effort to see if the market exists for it. 

So support the cause, see the uphill battle and I can tell you some absolute one of s kind and long sought after gems are coming for Bruceploitation and classic Kung Fu film fans!

NoKUNGFUforYU

Some of these have a market, and some don't, in terms of what is popular now. The Venoms, Bruce, Bruce Lee imitators, some shapes and Shaw Brothers, along with Jackie and the Yuens seem to be guns blazing. If you want a release of a little known Tien Peng movie, such as Tough Duel, you can wait until hell freezes over. Same with Cathay films and many others. Kind of have to pick your battles. I think spending hours making a perfect DVD of a 20 or 25 year old Jackie Chan movie is a little silly when there are already 10 different releases, as well as seeing it on TV, etc. My thing is rare, cool stuff. Honestly, to each their own. Someone that "owns the rights" will simply put out say, a crap Pan and Scan of Knife's Roaring with horrendous dubbing. Meanwhile a VOD puts out a flawless remaster for only the Chinese audience. Are  wesupposed to avert our eyes? The reality is a lot of these "copyrights" are basically BS. The people that worked on the movies are dead, no money goes to their families and the people holding the "copyright" simply have a lawyer that is working a niche no one has the money to dispute. There are people on youtube claiming the rights to movies that ARE LITERALLY THE PROPERTY OF MM2 Entertainment. That doesn't stop some scum LA entertainment lawyer from filing a robo claim on the movies out there and Google/Youtube going along with it. So this is very complex. Yes, I want people to remaster stuff, but on the flip side, I'm not going to wait forever because they are busy on stuff that I walked out on in 1978- I'm looking at you CLONES OF BRUCE LEE.

Squid Lips

Haha.  True Swift.  But can tel you after spending several weeks in Hong Kong and Taiwan getting information on these films, many of them, and some titles you would never think, are legally bound and owned by some company.  That being said, there is a sort of Hong Kong Movie Mafia out there, certain well known people that claim they "own" a title or many titles just to make a buck off of some distributor trying to do it the right way.  And then once you get the rights, you have to track down a manageable print.  Hopefully 35mm that isn't torn to shreds or at least a scope 16mm print.  I recently got to see the original print master of The Real Bruce Lee and looked amazing!  So they are there, just hard to get both ducks in a row for a proper release.  

And yeah, I wouldn't wait for a scope 2k transfer of CLONES too much longer.  But then, maybe you won't have to.....

DragonClaws
On 5/29/2018 at 9:16 PM, Squid Lips said:

At a minimum thousands of dollars are invested in these efforts and sometimes an added "wish list" item for fans can be thousands if not tens of thousands more in rights and efforts. Can tell you right now being a fan is s good thing as the effort and money going into some upcoming releases has never been greater. Companies like VCI and a few others with people like Worth, the actual filmmakers and securing legit rights snd the best material available (a big challenge as so much is lost, damaged or being hoarded) are making an effort to see if the market exists for it. 

You can please some pople some of the time, but you cant please all the people, all of the time- Abraham Lincoln

Even if you had an umlimited budget, with access to all related materiesl, there would still be nit picking by some fans.

Like you said, bootleg releases don't have to follow copyright laws etc, and no money's being invested either, so they dont even have to break even.

Killer Meteor

One potential releases I'd like to suggest is Dragon, The Hero - assuming the print used to make the widescreen 2.35:1 dvd from 20 years ago still exists.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I only paid $7 us dollars for a brand new bluray of this movie. On ebay. Thank you to whoever the seller is, you are too kind!!! 

Archived