i know the go's crazy but y did it end like the way it did

pleace

help

peace

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KevinClo

Long story short...the sequels were never made.

If the story had continued he would have woke up from his drunken stupor the next morning and continued his "misadventures". His son becomes more important in the storyline for the main character's redemption. I can explain more on this if someone wants me too, but it is rather long.

If you want to see how the full story is usually done in three movies you need to find the Satan's Sword trilogy or Souls in the Moonlight trilogy. Both continue past the point you see end in Sword of Doom.

KC

Even with the ending, it's one of my all time favorites, Tatsuya Nakadai is outstanding in this.

Not having seen the other movies, or reading the novel, what happens with the duel with Hyoma that never takes place?

Guest Daisho2004

If you liked Sword of Doom: Then you should see "The Satan Sword Trilogy" with Ichikawa Raizo it is the 3 part series of (Sword of Doom) which tells the whole story up till the end. Great series but the only person who I know who has it is: www.samuraidvd.net/

Guest slaXor420
If you liked Sword of Doom: Then you should see "The Satan Sword Trilogy" with Ichikawa Raizo it is the 3 part series of (Sword of Doom) which tells the whole story up till the end. Great series but the only person who I know who has it is: www.samuraidvd.net/

You can get the whole trilogy off ebay for a little over 30 dollars.

Guest KevinClo

Tosh wrote:

Not having seen the other movies, or reading the novel, what happens with the duel with Hyoma that never takes place?

I'll put some spoilers below and answer this, but before I do that let me explain some stuff about the story. The original name of the book and movies is Daibosatsu Toge which translates to "The Great Bodhisattva Pass". Sometimes you will see "The Great Buddha Pass", which gets the idea across to a westerner, but is not the most accurate word. To make this simple, a "bodhisattva" is a sort of like a saint, but rather than go on to the next world, this being stays in this one to help others. The author, Kaizan Nakazato, was a pacifist and wrote this story with Buddhist ideas.

Most people watch this movie and think it is just a revenge story and assume that the Ryunosuke, the main character, will face Hyoma for a final duel to the death. That part of the story ends up being a diversion.

Spoilers...Spoilers...Spoilers...

In the book they never confront each other and just miss each other a few times. In the movies they just barely miss each other a few times, then meet each other, and begin to duel. However, something always happens that prevents them from finishing the duel. Eventually, it happens a bit differently in each trilogy, Hyoma is told that he is waisting time and really does not have the authority to continue his vendetta.

Meanwhile, Ryunosuke, who you saw do a bunch of bad stuff in the first movie is living with his bad karma and its effects. Something bad happens to him physically that one would think he would have to give up the sword. No, that does not happen and he becomes even more viscious. He really has no guilt over what he has done. The story goes back and forth and just when you think he will become a sympathetic character he starts murdering innocents (like the old man) again. The one thing that starts to happen to him is has visions and dreams about is his son. The climatic ending has him suffering because he never is able to see his son. It comes out a bit clearer in the Souls in the Moonlight version. By having him suffer over his son you are supposed to feel sorry for him and want to help him...kind of like a bodhisattva.

The sad thing about not having sequels to Sword of Doom is not IMO how the story would continue as much as how in the world he was going to make us feel sorry for Ryunosuke. Ryunosuke is shown differently in each series, but in Sword of Doom he is the most sociopathic.

END SPOILERS...

KC

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

KevinClo.......I imagine Swood Of Doom is the first filmed, then the Satan Sword Trilogy, is this the case?

If so, does Ichikawa Raizo play, Ryunosuke and does he give as cold blooded a performance?

A few notes on Sword Of Doom I observed. The Great Buddha Pass, is'nt this where Tatsuya cuts down the old man praying for his own death, so that the girl he's taking care of can meet a young man and have a happy life, marking this as the beginning of Tatsuya's bad karma? Which comes around full circle when he saves her at the end of the movie from being killed for over hearing the plot to assassinate one of the leaders of the clan or (bandits), for she reveals to him how he knows her (unbeknownst to her) resulting in a kind of unravelling of his increasingly erratic mind. At this point all the ghosts of his past well up and begin to haunt him; the killing of the innocent old man, the defiling of an opponents wife who he kills, the initial desire to test Toshiro Mifune's skills only to refrain from doing so as he watches Toshiro cut down his fellow henchman effortlessly ( a feeling of cowardice), then killing his wife. His character seems to be portraying either an awakening or realization of all his wrong doing, coupled with a fear of this realization i.e. he starts trying to kill the ghosts of his past as though he's unable to live with it. Then as he's lashing out at these visions he's attacked by his own men, who I think he was unaware of (through all his confusion) and because he's so unsettled with all this inner turmoil they have the advantage. I think (considering Tatsuya's ability throughout the story) these guys, no matter how many of them, would otherwise have had no chance cutting him down. Though it (seemingly) appears he's not going to survive this battle in the end. And though the ending seems to be intentional for the sake of a sequel to some viewers, it comes off more like a moral statement, as though this is what happens when you live a life so heartless and unscrupulously, it will spiral out of control ending in a flash of madness and mayhem.

The storyline of this film is amazingly profound.

Guest KevinClo
KevinClo.......I imagine Swood Of Doom is the first filmed, then the Satan Sword Trilogy, is this the case? If so, does Ichikawa Raizo play, Ryunosuke and does he give as cold blooded a performance?
You can just call me Kevin or KC if you like. This story has been filmed a bunch of times with the above two versions along with Souls in the Moonlight being the most available. Satan's Sword, filmed in color, was actually done prior to Sword of Doom. Raizo is not as cold blooded, but he still is rather indifferent to those around him. The character is supposed to be jerk and not very caring about others.

And though the ending seems to be intentional for the sake of a sequel to some viewers, it comes off more like a moral statement, as though this is what happens when you live a life so heartless and unscrupulously, it will spiral out of control ending in a flash of madness and mayhem. The storyline of this film is amazingly profound.
This is true. The big themes are karma/sin/evil acts, their effects, suffering, and how one reacts to those things. Ryunosuke does not appear to have a conscience, but goes through fits of madness from the ghosts he sees. He never feels guilt or shame over this though. It could end there as you suggest, but then we would never know if there was any hope for him or if he can be saved from the life he is leading. It gives us the problem without a solution.

The story is rich with religion, martial arts, and history. The writer crossed into all of those areas in the books he wrote.

KC

Guest The Running Man

I love the ending to the film.

Without the sequels, I just take it that he died in his rage while fighting.

Great movie!

Archived